• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Aert has the capacity to win all 5 monuments as well as compete on practically any WC route. I don't know how that's not physiological talent, unless we somehow ascribe some mythical components monuments in comparison to the lesser races. Sure endurance is a thing, and I think Van Aert underperformed last year, but I'm pretty convinced he just mistimed his peaks.

I also think that Boonen did very little outside the cobbles, despite his world title, and Cancellara massively underperformed at the WCRRs.
I think this is a legit opinion, but it's still an opinion. I tend to value palmares over opinions when comparing the giants of the sport.
Also, I'm not randomly assigning mythical value to Monuments. Boonen and Cancellara won more "lesser" one day races than Van Aert as well. Again, things might change soon, but I don't understand why we should get ahead of ourselves in claiming he's better than Boonen and Cancellara.

There really is also a massive tendency to undersell current riders because people like their childhood heroes more.
There is, but it's not the case with Boonen and Cancellara. They truly were two of the best classic riders in history. Do you agree with that? Boonen and Cancellara were never my childhood heroes, I actually rooted against them most of the times because they were often too dominant in their prime.

It's a gloomy Sunday morning and there's still more than an hour before RVV coverage starts so... (there might be mistakes, I just woke up).

Boonen
WC + Monuments wins: 8
WC + Monuments podiums: 14
Other Classics* wins: 8

Cancellara
WC + Monuments wins: 7
WC + Monuments podiums: 16 (of which 12 consecutive podiums in Monuments finished...)
Other Classics* wins: 6

Van Aert
WC Monuments wins: 1
WC Monuments podums: 3
Other Classics* wins: 5

*Strade Bianche, Omloop, Harelbeke, Gent-Wevelgem, Amstel Gold Race

I stand by my initial comment. Van Aert is a better all arounder, but he's got a long way to go before surpassing Boonen and Cancellara (or even the likes of Gilbert / Bettini) as a Classic rider.

I think this is a legit opinion, but it's still an opinion. I tend to value palmares over opinions when comparing the giants of the sport.
Also, I'm not randomly assigning mythical value to Monuments. Boonen and Cancellara won more "lesser" one day races than Van Aert as well. Again, things might change soon, but I don't understand why we should get ahead of ourselves in claiming he's better than Boonen and Cancellara.

There is, but it's not the case with Boonen and Cancellara. They truly were two of the best classic riders in history. Do you agree with that? Boonen and Cancellara were never my childhood heroes, I actually rooted against them most of the times because they were often too dominant in their prime.

It's a gloomy Sunday morning and there's still more than an hour before RVV coverage starts so... (there might be mistakes, I just woke up).

Boonen

Cancellara
WC + Monuments podiums: 16 (of which 12 consecutive podiums in Monuments finished...)

Van Aert

I stand by my initial comment. Van Aert is a better all arounder, but he's got a long way to go before surpassing Boonen and Cancellara (or even the likes of Gilbert / Bettini) as a Classic rider.
Yeah I think we're just talking different things here.

I do think Cance and Boonen are the 2 best cobbled riders of all time, but not overall one day racers

For the time being I think there is only one possible conclusion. Boonen and Cancellara where way more dominant in the cobbled classics of their era than Van der Poel and van Aert.

Maybe that is because with Asgreen, Colbrelli etc. There is just better competition. I think so.

Maybe the upcoming years it will still change because van der poel and van Aert will actually start to divide all major classics as was predicted. But I don’t think so.

Outside of the cobbled classics I think it is also clear that Van Aert is by far the most versatile rider of the four, with van der Poel second. All four of them were good in multiple disciplines. But van Aert is versatile at a level I haven’t seen during the years I am watching cycling.

Reactions: Lui98 and SafeBet
Hell no he isnt, Kristoff is downright a joke compared to Wout. Big wins matter, but come on now, we all have eyes.
Kristoff was a beast back then. He dropped Terpstra on Paterberg in the pursuit of the leaders in '14 and finished alone as the first rider behind them, he won the race the year after in an attack with Terpstra when Kristoff was probably the strongest rider in the race.

And who can forget his insane sprints after long races? I think he won the bunch sprint in Ponferrada with a ~700 m long sprint, lol. A strong sprint like that is no joke.

Kristoff was a beast back then. He dropped Terpstra on Paterberg in the pursuit of the leaders in '14 and finished alone as the first rider behind them, he won the race the year after in an attack with Terpstra when Kristoff was probably the strongest rider in the race.

And who can forget his insane sprints after long races? I think he won the bunch sprint in Ponferrada with a ~700 m long sprint, lol. A strong sprint like that is no joke.
Did lose the most important sprint of his life though.

Imagine losing a sprint to Sagan after a hard race

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93

As late as 2020 he got his podium in Flanders with a 500 metre long sprint because he had to reign Asgreen back in.

Reactions: jmdirt

Boonen

Cancellara

Van Aert

Then again. Van Aert is 28. Van der Poel 27

Cancellara started winning the biggest classics pretty 'late' actually as well. And still ramped up the nrs. All Van Aert need is a few good years where he actually scores in the monuments and he'll be right up there.

Then again. Van Aert is 28. Van der Poel 27

Cancellara started winning the biggest classics pretty 'late' actually as well. And still ramped up the nrs. All Van Aert need is a few good years where he actually scores in the monuments and he'll be right up there.

Yes but that's kind of the age that people started to win things a decade ago when most riders turned pro after they left the under 23 ranks. These days of course there is a wealth of great talent starting much younger and it could well be that we're not even aware of the RVV winner in 2025 unless Girmay wins it for the third time in a row ;)

Reactions: ij74 and Sandisfan
Yes but that's kind of the age that people started to win things a decade ago when most riders turned pro after they left the under 23 ranks. These days of course there is a wealth of great talent starting much younger and it could well be that we're not even aware of the RVV winner in 2025 unless Girmay wins it for the third time in a row ;)
but you see how fast it can go when you win 2 in 3 years like VDP and sprint 3 times for the win.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Yes but that's kind of the age that people started to win things a decade ago when most riders turned pro after they left the under 23 ranks. These days of course there is a wealth of great talent starting much younger and it could well be that we're not even aware of the RVV winner in 2025 unless Girmay wins it for the third time in a row
I'm pretty sure that the number of younger riders/talents with the talent for Van Aert or Van der Poel will be few. Pog could be a contender, but will probably prioritize GT. Pidcock coud be a contender, but is not there yet. And if Remco will be a classics rider, remains to be seen.

The main issue that could limit Van Aert or Van der Poel the coming years will rather be their own lack of willingness to prioritize road racing. And of course factors like injurys and sickness.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm pretty sure that the number of younger riders/talents with the talent for Van Aert or Van der Poel will be few. Pog could be a contender, but will probably prioritize GT. Pidcock coud be a contender, but is not there yet. And if Remco will be a classics rider, remains to be seen.

The main issue that could limit Van Aert or Van der Poel the coming years will rather be their own lack of willingness to prioritize road racing. And of course factors like injurys and sickness.
I almost get the vibe Pog prefers single day races with how excited he is to make the race every single day. Logically it’s smartest to prioritize GTs with the ability he has to completely dominate but I see him doing classics pretty aggressively as well.