• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For the time being I think there is only one possible conclusion. Boonen and Cancellara where way more dominant in the cobbled classics of their era than Van der Poel and van Aert.

Maybe that is because with Asgreen, Colbrelli etc. There is just better competition. I think so.

Maybe the upcoming years it will still change because van der poel and van Aert will actually start to divide all major classics as was predicted. But I don’t think so.

Outside of the cobbled classics I think it is also clear that Van Aert is by far the most versatile rider of the four, with van der Poel second. All four of them were good in multiple disciplines. But van Aert is versatile at a level I haven’t seen during the years I am watching cycling.
Hell no. Wait till their respective careers are over, Cancellara and Boonen had around 10 shots at those races in their prime/close prime.
I almost get the vibe Pog prefers single day races with how excited he is to make the race every single day. Logically it’s smartest to prioritize GTs with the ability he has to completely dominate but I see him doing classics pretty aggressively as well.
Yeah, but he could just take the approach of riding the Tour every year and race similar schedules to the one he did this year - a few stage races and the hardest classics on the calendar (apart from Roubaix). With the schedule shake up, I hope for Amstel as well next year along with E-3, that would be ideal in terms of watching him go head to head in proper races with Wout, Mathieu etc.

He's in Calpe now. Suposedly training in a black jersey (not in his Belgian champion jersey).
Jumbo asked Wout not to put his training on Strava to avoid any confusing or guessing.
Thursday is the decision day for Roubaix. If he starts in Roubaix, it'll be to help the team rather then win himself.

Source: https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/wout-...ing-of-hij-start-in-parijs-roubaix~a51c9354d/

On a personal note: I think that if he starts in Roubaix, it'll be to win himself.

Last edited:
The startlist for LBL is shaping up to be really nice. Rog and Pog, Ala and now Van Aert. In addition Pidcock, Kwia, Hirschi, Vingegaard, etc., The fight between Jumbo, Ineos and UAE could be epic.

Hirschi and Pidcock both not really impressive this year. At least Pidcock still has some top 10 results but what happened to the guy that was the strongest rider in the tdf peleton of 2020.