• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O'Grady non-confession-confession confession

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Just to clarify, I don't judge these guys harshly if they went on the juice during the period described. There were too many of them, its meaningless.

But now is the time to present meaningful statements. Statements which can drive the sport in the right direct. McGee isn't helping, on the contrary. McGee has responsibility, not just towards his former team mates.

Anyway, I don't think he's a bad guy.

Mcgee cant change things. if he has a responsibility, its to himself and his family. not cycling fans, and not the cycling fraternity.

if you had not worked out by now, cycling has one thing in common with native amazonian tribes, it was not uncommon that they were cannibals and eat ate their own. Cycling no see past tense, like particle physics, past present future equal same same

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
SundayRider said:
O'Grady must realise deep down that no on believes he did EPO 'that one time'.
there are two narratives goin on.

the sport book buying public, the homers.

then there are the informed cycling fan, who he can talk to by saying, only doped once never saw a thing never buried my dope by the roadside with jens.

when he really means, yeah i buried my dope by the roadside with jens, and the potbelge managed to mature nicely in the bordeaux soil like a fine french truffle. <think> titi voeckler, a little on the nose to the peloton's elan, but my how it can turn on the french housewives and trancend even hot flushes of menopause.

that is the meta dialogue he is having with the cycling fan.

and the other dialogue, the ghost written jimmy casper dialogue, that is for idiots that will buy his book outside the christmas period, when it does not even meet the criteria for potboiler to be read on the beach during summer necking beers to handle the complexity in its pages.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Rubbish.
McGee has a responsibility as trainer of talents.

And of course I will continue to call him a clown if he continues to act as one.
I see this position as a valid one, and one that i held steadfast for years.

Freddythefrog said:
My jury are still out on Brad, I am trying to give him as much time as possible, I would like to believe he is clean. I would like to know what others think.

I felt the same but thought about it some more a few months back. The whole retiring in 2008 at 32 because he can't compete with dopers doesn't make sense given his best years were right in the thick of the action. He completely dropped away in the final years of his career, especially I think his climbing.

I looked at his 4km results as well and I forget exactly what it was but they seemed to mirror the successes of his road career i.e. his very good times in Athens. In Beijing he did a 4:26...

My guess is that he doped but didn't want to do it for twenty years, now he has a very good cycling career off the bike.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
snip

I looked at his 4km results as well and I forget exactly what it was but they seemed to mirror the successes of his road career i.e. his very good times in Athens. In Beijing he did a 4:26...

My guess is that he doped but didn't want to do it for twenty years, now he has a very good cycling career off the bike.
if Mcgee had 18 months preparation he would have medalled in Beijing (prolly a silver).

Bur Olympics was never gonna pay the billz

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Captain Serious said:
O'Grady is on radio right now

http://www.sen.com.au/mediaplayer

It'll be podcast later
how will this be any different from what he says normally. he has his talking points pretty down pat now.

I would pay good money to see him in a cage fight with Darryn Hill. I dont give a hoot about his book. But you could sell me his book for $250 Australian, if you throw in a ringside seat next to the fight.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Lovable Aussie ocker Stuey Mate lets down his friends.

And did the ‘angels’ not speak up because they were simply grateful that they weren’t being picked on?

“I think so, I mean Stuart in particular never stood up for us,” explained Shearsby. “When they saw us getting shafted on the appearance money they never said anything.

But Shearsby could never understand what happened next.

“The second we got back after worlds he was telling all the media that I was the weak link and that I was holding the team back, if I wasn’t there they would have gone under four minutes. So Tim O’Shannessy and I sat down with the stop watch and checked our split times, I was second fastest behind him. We were faster than Aitken and O’Grady.

Battlescars, indeed.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/03/reflecting-on-a-legend-charlie-walsh/

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/03/reflecting-on-a-legend-charlie-walsh/

But wait, there's more:

Someone Bigger Than Me :-) said:
Matt Gilmore was another one. He was a gun, but wasn't in the AIS squad. Cut to the national ten mile title, Charlie's Angels tried to to work Gilmore over. My recollection is it was the fastest ten mile scratch race title ever. Gilmore beats them, despite being worked over, and still doesn't get an AIS spot, so he takes Belgian nationality because he was born there.

When he won the Madison at the world's with Etienne de Wilde, Walsh goes up to congratulate him, and Gilmore tells him to go get f'arked, which might not have been gracious, but I can understand it

Captain Serious said:
But wait, there's more:

Scott needs to turn it into a book. That whole era was messed up.

BC actually based their track program on Walsh's work.

There's also a lot of sad stories from Charlie's Angles.

Michael Drapac is helping some of those guys out.

Worth reading the article: http://m.theage.com.au/sport/cyclin...etes-grinds-drapacs-gears-20140110-30mkc.html

Having marvelled at Neiwand's sporting exploits from afar, Drapac was horrified by what he encountered close up.

''Here was this man, at 33 years of age when I met him, who really had no life skills. He was institutionalised,'' he recalls.

''But Gary was a product of a system. I'm not excusing what he's done since [Neiwand was jailed in 2006 for breaching an intervention order and in 2012 received a suspended four-month jail term for exposing himself to two women], but I'd ask - why is it?''

Since then, Drapac has counselled several suicidal cyclists, who he says have been messed up by an utter lack of preparedness for sporting dreams not being fulfilled. He has watched tears stream from faces as honest sporting stories - not those we see on race day or even at training - have been shared in confidence.

''They're in shocking black holes. In deep, dark places,'' Drapac says. ''There's helplessness, a lack of self-worth, and just a crying out. The word suicide has come up on a number of occasions. Not a dozen, but a number of occasions. What disturbs me most is that the system doesn't seem to care about it. The system won't seem to take responsibility for it.''

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, a book would be good. One of those guys didn't make it - Mark French. Maybe a little after Charlie's time, but still a product of that system that still operates in Adelaide.

thehog said:
Scott needs to turn it into a book. That whole era was messed up.

BC actually based their track program on Walsh's work.

There's also a lot of sad stories from Charlie's Angles.

Michael Drapac is helping some of those guys out.

Worth reading the article: http://m.theage.com.au/sport/cyclin...etes-grinds-drapacs-gears-20140110-30mkc.html
I was less than surprised when Michael Drapac said he was worried about Trav Meyer and Wes Sulzberger after he signed them to his squad. He reckons neither of them had any idea about life after, and to some extent outside of cycling.

As they were products of their respective state academies, then the AIS from a very early age they had not needed to pick up many life skills and barely even finished school. The system they were in focused on cycling to the point where they rarely had to do anything else for themselves :(

Stingray34 said:
Yes, a book would be good. One of those guys didn't make it - Mark French. Maybe a little after Charlie's time, but still a product of that system that still operates in Adelaide.

There were dead bodies everywhere and when Charlie left (pushed) appears the boys just sourced their own.

I do wonder If the M&M gag in his story is code for something else? :rolleyes:

The thoughts at the time was the AIS in Canberra and the cycling version in Adelaide was because they were the two most boring cities and no one could get into any trouble!

Never know if that was true but getting from the AIS into downtown Canberra was a pain. And nothing going on.

I hope he writes more.

Captain Serious said:
I heard Neiwand say that the only contact he got from Cycling Aus after the minute he left was from an AIS staffer who said they wanted his bikes back.

I obviously don't know if this is true
Probably was, wouldn't be the least bit surprising. Neiwand wouldn't have been the first or last that happened to.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/03/the-human-cost-of-gold-medals/

Another great piece by Jono Lovelock. He was initially trying to give Walsh a right of reply to Scott McGrory's piece posted earlier and he refused. Instead, he went to other AIS alumni for their opinions and they expanded on McGrory's story.

Never worked with Walsh but a few guys I know did and anyone that didn't thrive basically got chewed up, spat out and abandoned. Sometimes the rejects could find another way to the top (Rogers, Cooke, McEwen etc) but most ended up throwing away the sport.

TRENDING THREADS