• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O'Grady non-confession-confession confession

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Captain Serious said:
I heard Neiwand say that the only contact he got from Cycling Aus after the minute he left was from an AIS staffer who said they wanted his bikes back.

I obviously don't know if this is true

Sounds about right. They had so little money in those days. Well more to the point, nothing was spent on the cyclists. Skin suits back after a meet sort of stuff. The indoor bikes were like those old exercise ones with the large fan and cage on the front wheel!

It was really sad for Neiwand. When you're a 200m fly track sprinter what can you do post Olympics? Can't do the road. Just drink.

And edit: then there was Pate and Hall. Cyclingtips should speak to those two. Pate was left out of Sydney and went on a 3 year bender. Very sad also.

I assume this is why British Cycling has psychologists etc. in their group. Makes good sense if they do.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Sounds about right. They had so little money in those days. Well more to the point, nothing was spent on the cyclists. Skin suits back after a meet sort of stuff. The indoor bikes were like those old exercise ones with the large fan and cage on the front wheel!

It was really sad for Neiwand. When you're a 200m fly track sprinter what can you do post Olympics? Can't do the road. Just drink.

And edit: then there was Pate and Hall. Cyclingtips should speak to those two. Pate was left out of Sydney and went on a 3 year bender. Very sad also.

I assume this is why British Cycling has psychologists etc. in their group. Makes good sense if they do.
Darryn Hill?

did not he hook up with his old man in a little Shane Charter business? <think> some great Isreali and Holland exports :D

blackcat said:
Darryn Hill?

did not he hook up with his old man in a little Shane Charter business? <think> some great Isreali and Holland exports :D

My bad. I meant Carey Hall.

I think he and Pate went to Japan and rode the Kerin circuit to make money.

Hall is now with Kathy Watt bike tours. Thanks to google.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:

Stephen Pate was a total madman. A very dangerous character.

Carey Hall won the professional world sprint title in 1991 before losing it almost instantly to a positive dope test. He was married to soon-to-be Olympic road gold medallist Kathy Watt. Not sure if they still are.

Stingray34 said:
Stephen Pate was a total madman. A very dangerous character.

Carey Hall won the professional world sprint title in 1991 before losing it almost instantly to a positive dope test. He was married to soon-to-be Olympic road gold medallist Kathy Watt. Not sure if they still are.

Thanks for that. Yes Pate was crazy. Had the white hair thing going.

Saw him a few times riding off scratch at Northcote and catching the field in a 2km pro-am.

thehog said:
Thanks for that. Yes Pate was crazy. Had the white hair thing going.

Saw him a few times riding off scratch at Northcote and catching the field in a 2km pro-am.

I should add some colour to the story. It was a pro-am event. So basically anyone could enter with a racing license. It was a handicap and you had all those Dads and Freds riding off 500m etc. The entire track was full of riders.

The gun went off and Pate just put his head down and literally smashed through every rider in front of him. There were blokes desperately weaving out of the way, falling off, crashing into one another whilst Pate just mowed them all down and won by a whisker. It's was carnage, riders everywhere.

I doubt they allow racing like that anymore.

I think he got like $750 in cash or something. Which would have paid for the nights drinking and next mornings jail bond! :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
I should add some colour to the story. It was a pro-am event. So basically anyone could enter with a racing license. It was a handicap and you had all those Dads and Freds riding off 500m etc. The entire track was full of riders.

The gun went off and Pate just put his head down and literally smashed through every rider in front of him. There were blokes desperately weaving out of the way, falling off, crashing into one another whilst Pate just mowed them all down and won by a whisker. It's was carnage, riders everywhere.

I doubt they allow racing like that anymore.

I think he got like $750 in cash or something. Which would have paid for the nights drinking and next mornings jail bond! :rolleyes:

LOL, thanks for the memories. I remember a lot of those nights at regional, circular tarred 'velodromes.' I was a roadie and stayed well clear of pro ams, just a few local track nights was enough for me. Pate, that was pretty much how he raced. How he lived his life, in fact. If he isn't currently wearing overalls and doing 5-10, frankly, I would be surprised.

Stingray34 said:
LOL, thanks for the memories. I remember a lot of those nights at regional, circular tarred 'velodromes.' I was a roadie and stayed well clear of pro ams, just a few local track nights was enough for me. Pate, that was pretty much how he raced. How he lived his life, in fact. If he isn't currently wearing overalls and doing 5-10, frankly, I would be surprised.

You and me both! I was way too skinny to mix it up on the track. Although I did enjoy the social scene of the track. Lots of fun.

Pate got into a lot of trouble after he didn't make Sydney. Maybe he was always headed that way. Lived life like he rode; head down, smashing through anything in front of him.

What was interesting about he Walsh program is just how many talented guys came through cycling. And many whom weren't even allowed to ride for the national team! A golden era, so many world class athletes. Which was odd because there was so few velodromes of any standard in Australia at the time.

Then again our summers were around the wrong way so even the good roadies would ride track in the summer off season.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've always thought you and I could be friends. Imagine, we could have stitched up all the interclub road races from Newcastle to Albury!

A lot of very talented cyclists popped up in the 80's and 90's in Oz. The Kersten boys, McGlede. The track has always produced the best Aussie road cyclists, the only real exception in Evans, but he's a heck of an exception.

Meanwhile, O'Grady's book should be renamed 'Trackmarks.'

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Hall has been coaching for two decades. Coached Matty Lloyd to his win on Mt Bulla or the Queen Stage circa 2004 of HS Tour, which led to U23 AIS, and his pro deal with Lotto. I dont know when he stopped coaching Lloyd.

Stingray34 said:
I've always thought you and I could be friends. Imagine, we could have stitched up all the interclub road races from Newcastle to Albury!

A lot of very talented cyclists popped up in the 80's and 90's in Oz. The Kersten boys, McGlede. The track has always produced the best Aussie road cyclists, the only real exception in Evans, but he's a heck of an exception.

Meanwhile, O'Grady's book should be renamed 'Trackmarks.'

We could. All those pan flat road courses ending at some out of the way car park or pub! God what a miserable existence it was! :cool: In those days we'd get lost during a race more often than finish because there was never enough road marshalls!

I remember thinking I was about to win a bush country title because I was out on my own in front. I was in fact lost by taking a wrong turn.

Yes O'Grady's reputation proceeds himself. The entirely of anyone who raced or was around him must back in the day must chuckle and his recent defences.

Maybe we should write a book!

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
We could. All those pan flat road courses ending at some out of the way car park or pub! God what a miserable existence it was! :cool: In those days we'd get lost during a race more often than finish because there was never enough road marshalls!

I remember thinking I was about to win a bush country title because I was out on my own in front. I was in fact lost by taking a wrong turn.

Yes O'Grady's reputation proceeds himself. The entirely of anyone who raced or was around him must back in the day must chuckle and his recent defences.

Maybe we should write a book!

Yep, happened to me, too. In both cycling and cross country running. It's an odd, lonely feeling when it dawns on you something has gone awry.

Yes, let's do a book! The working title can be 'My shirty amateur cycling career in the back of nowhere.'

Stingray34 said:
Yep, happened to me, too. In both cycling and cross country running. It's an odd, lonely feeling when it dawns on you something has gone awry.

Yes, let's do a book! The working title can be 'My shirty amateur cycling career in the back of nowhere.'

Title works well.

Hitching rides to races, riding home in the rain. Knocking on roadside doors to use the phone because you busted a chain.

The story of sh1tty amateur cyclists. My journey back to nowhere!

Oh and getting laughed at by the girls at school because you shave your legs! :eek:

Race Radio said:
Thanks, I thought it was just me that did not understand that rambling babble
I couldn't read much of it, didn't make sense.

To be fair, I doubt writing and communications skills were an AIS priority for these kids.

As for the Walsh stuff, I thought it was fairly common knowledge, but perhaps not. Maybe it's just hearing enough small stories over many years I learned through a process of osmosis.

Walsh has been working with Adelaide Crows football team for many years. I recall him talking about it when he addressed a CA coaches dinner in 2009.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
I couldn't read much of it, didn't make sense.

To be fair, I doubt writing and communications skills were an AIS priority for these kids.

As for the Walsh stuff, I thought it was fairly common knowledge, but perhaps not. Maybe it's just hearing enough small stories over many years I learned through a process of osmosis.

Walsh has been working with Adelaide Crows football team for many years. I recall him talking about it when he addressed a CA coaches dinner in 2009.
The Walsh stuff was common knowledge to those involved in the sport at the time over here but for most people overseas, it probably didn't show on the radar unless you were curious, motivated or knew someone.

I'm having similar revelations about US cycling courtesy of the USAC thread.

Edit: I did like Baden Cooke's response to Dean Woods in the comments. Well said.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ogrady-at-the-end-of-the-day-i-know-what-i-did-and-didnt-do

Q: Have you been able to step away from public debate over whether you doped once or not?

SO: At the end of the day I know what I did and didn't do. So I really don't care what other people guess or want to think because other people went down that avenue.

I had some pretty good results before and some pretty good results after [align=right] until the end. I know what I did and didn't do. I am completely comfortable with that. You are always going to have – which I am learning – people, especially on social media and so on [who] want to voice their opinion. You can't get stuck in the mud over a couple of quotes or Tweets or whatever.

sounds like Stuey Mate should become a garmin DS.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
He's not the brightest spark...

Stuey mate has absorbed the Lance playbook well; only problem is, it hasn't worked out too well for it's author.

I don't know much about Stuey mate's abuse of EPO, Test and HgH, but it's a wonder he wasn't popped a la Ulrich for party drugs alone. Stuey mate could rave members of 'The Shamen' under the table.

Love, sex, intelligence/comin' over like a seventh sense.

TRENDING THREADS