• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Old Wiggins interview on doping.

A

Anonymous

well found.

Might see more of the same this year with the afld and the french police. Interesting comments on Bruyneel as well.

At the beginning, wiggins asks a rhetorical question "should i take the risks and then get the £1 million a year contract?". Well he is on the million a year contract, thats for sure, and under equally suspicious circumstances as the vino tt which he says he knew straight away was ill gained

also
"had i not paid 90 quid for my wifes easy jet flight i would have left" - an attempt at comedy wigo?

and people accuse cav of not choosing his words wisely, but wiggins uses the word p*ss, so many times in this interview.

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
At the beginning, wiggins asks a rhetorical question "should i take the risks and then get the £1 million a year contract?". Well he is on the million a year contract, thats for sure, and under equally suspicious circumstances as the vino tt which he says he knew straight away was ill gained

also
"had i not paid 90 quid for my wifes easy jet flight i would have left" - an attempt at comedy wigo?

and people accuse cav of not choosing his words wisely, but wiggins uses the word p*ss, so many times in this interview.

I would have to re-listen but i think he said 1 million euro which at the time was about £650,000 (and brad isnt on a million). I think the easy jet thing was genuine, i dont think he was on too much money then, cath was flying out to paris, so he carried on. I think as far as the vino thing goes, Brad was a good time triallist at the time, he would know how much he put into that tt, and what realistically should be possible clean, and guaged from that that vinos two minutes was juiced. My only problem with the interview is he implies cav is clean, he might have been then, but im far from convinced now.

BUt still a damn good listen and amazing how not much has changed, the old guys are still around. Maybe not for much longer.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
Wigans was never clean. You think he just started doping last year Skyfans? puhleeeze. Your Brits ain't clean.

Did i say anywhere in those two paragraphs he was or wasnt? Im not going to make statements regarding sky riders without evidence either way. A tactful no comment from me. Anyway, back to the interview.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Great interview, all true.I love Wiggo. I do not understand why he is hated on the forum. I think a lot of the hatred is nationalistic. Like the hatred of the ToC, Lance Zabrinskie, Levi, TD.

blackcat said:
Wigans was never clean. You think he just started doping last year Skyfans? puhleeeze. Your Brits ain't clean.

I believe he was cleaner when he gave that interview. But that went out the window last year -- I guess he got finally got sick and tired of getting dropped by guys with less ability and losing out on the payday. Also probably had something to do with being on Garmin.

I don't think anyone who hasn't been brought up with doping and who hasn't doped pretty much from the beginning of his career could come out and speak out against doping with a straight face in such terms. The hypocrisy and the sense of disconnect would be too much unless you had been specifically taught to manage it.

Wiggins has remained unusually quiet about the topic lately, hasn't he?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

So when did BW start doping?? When he was riding underage, getting medals in his teens,at birth?

The interview was in 2007 - and going on the assumption that BW's comments were correct at the time - what
has happened since should deflate any enthusisum he had for change.

I am not flaming anyone here - but in that interview he says "you just have to have faith in the people of the UCI and ASO that this kind of thing is never going to happen again".....

ASO, UCI??
What happened in 2008 - we had the CERA Tour with Ricco, Schumacher, Kohl etc. because ASO had the AFLD doing the tests.

And then a certain rider returned - and Patrick Clerc is removed from ASO and things get knocked back to the 'way it was'...

In the interview BW talks a lot about the money the big riders earn and the frustration he feels - and then a year on things get worse - I certainly would understand if a talented rider in his position decided to join the 'arms race'.

A

Anonymous

hrotha said:
I don't think anyone who hasn't been brought up with doping and who hasn't doped pretty much from the beginning of his career could come out and speak out against doping with a straight face in such terms. The hypocrisy and the sense of disconnect would be too much unless you had been specifically taught to manage it.

Wiggins has remained unusually quiet about the topic lately, hasn't he?

Wiggins has been quiet about everthing recently. Twitter was his main outlet but he has been very quiet and his equally outspoke wife has gone from twitter completely.

TeamSkyFans said:
I would have to re-listen but i think he said 1 million euro which at the time was about £650,000 (and brad isnt on a million). I think the easy jet thing was genuine, i dont think he was on too much money then, cath was flying out to paris, so he carried on. I think as far as the vino thing goes, Brad was a good time triallist at the time, he would know how much he put into that tt, and what realistically should be possible clean, and guaged from that that vinos two minutes was juiced. My only problem with the interview is he implies cav is clean, he might have been then, but im far from convinced now.

BUt still a damn good listen and amazing how not much has changed, the old guys are still around. Maybe not for much longer.

He said 1 million pounds a few times, once when talking about what winners of the tdf get as contracts. He then said that guys like rasmussen (not winners but contenders) were getting 1 million euros, so you are right, since wiggins is a contender.
But i think he gets something like 900 000 a year now, which is almost a million and more than a million euros was back then. So my point is valid, there is irony to his comments about people dopers doping so that they could get that money, and now all of a sudden he is earning it, after a surprising transformation of his own.

The plane quote was genuine but the way he said it, looked like he was trying to get a laugh, emphasising the low figure- 90, using the working class way of saying pounds- quid (he uses pounds all the other times in the interview) and then emphasising easyjet, an airline not known for luxury.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I would love to see the SRM files that HTC - Columbia apparently still have of BW.

Here's what Rolf Aldag said about them last year

"I saw the big potential in him, we saw his SRM files," continued Aldag. "It's not a big surprise he's doing so well here. We have his files from the [2008] Giro team time trial and the wattage he posted there, it's incredible. He was incredibly strong. You see that number, you see he's tall and skinny, and he loses six more kilograms… it's just a question of his ambition."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aldag-were-not-here-to-have-fun

During last year's Tour, his past teams were almost queueing up to say that they always knew he had the talent, but not the will. The FdJ doctor gave a particularly spirited defence on French TV, I believe.

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
The plane quote was genuine but the way he said it, looked like he was trying to get a laugh, emphasising the low figure- 90, using the working class way of saying pounds- quid (he uses pounds all the other times in the interview) and then emphasising easyjet, an airline not known for luxury.

Oh the team sky riders still fly easyjet. Certainly Russ D does.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I would love to see the SRM files that HTC - Columbia apparently still have of BW.
he was not clean then. Come on. He was not clean as a pro. But, he was not doing anything else, than anyother of his fellow pros. He should not be castigated as an individual. Like how the Spaniards are the whipping boyz. But Wigans was not a clean rider, like anyone else at his level, defies all belief.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Great interview, all true.I love Wiggo. I do not understand why he is hated on the forum. I think a lot of the hatred is nationalistic. Like the hatred of the ToC, Lance Zabrinskie, Levi, TD.

i dislike wigans more than any other rider. because he's a whiner, a hypocrite and a loudmouth. my dislike for him, or any other rider, has nothing to do with where they're from.

ed rader

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You dislike Wiggins more than Cav for those reasons?

More than riders like Armstrong or Steven Cozza who are constantly complaining and whinging about being tested for the 4th time this week? Ok.

TeamSkyFans said:
Oh the team sky riders still fly easyjet. Certainly Russ D does.

No doubt. Though i think if he wasnt trying to get a laugh he would have just said "the plane" rather than "easyjet flight" and he would have said pounds (like he does at all other times) rather than quid and wouldnt have mentioned the figure in the first place anyway.

Nothing wrong with putting a joke in a long interview like that.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:
You dislike Wiggins more than Cav for those reasons?

More than riders like Armstrong or Steven Cozza who are constantly complaining and whinging about being tested for the 4th time this week? Ok.

yep. in fact i like Cav.

ed rader

A

Anonymous

erader said:
i dislike wigans more than any other rider. because he's a whiner, a hypocrite and a loudmouth. my dislike for him, or any other rider, has nothing to do with where they're from.

ed rader

I had to re-read that. I thought initially i was in the lance armstrong thread, you summed him up to a tee.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I had to re-read that. I thought initially i was in the lance armstrong thread, you summed him up to a tee.

yeah i'm no armstrong fan either but let's face it....wigan's isn't qualified to carry lance's chamois ;).

ed rader

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Here's what Rolf Aldag said about them last year

"I saw the big potential in him, we saw his SRM files," continued Aldag. "It's not a big surprise he's doing so well here. We have his files from the [2008] Giro team time trial and the wattage he posted there, it's incredible. He was incredibly strong. You see that number, you see he's tall and skinny, and he loses six more kilograms… it's just a question of his ambition."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aldag-were-not-here-to-have-fun

During last year's Tour, his past teams were almost queueing up to say that they always knew he had the talent, but not the will. The FdJ doctor gave a particularly spirited defence on French TV, I believe.

Would that be Fred Grappe?

TRENDING THREADS