• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Mens RR - where are you watching from?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Watched it at home on BBC although I have to say that the BBC coverage was appalling and only saved by Chris Boardmans commentating. I think even he was pretty bemused by how it had been presented on t.v. In no particular order:

1. Hardly no time checks
2. No graphic with km's remaining
3. No list of which riders were in the break
4. Failed to turn the volume up during Vino's post race interview
5. Failed to televise live the medal ceremony/post race interviews/buzz iand instead put on a rolling graphic of the rest of the days schedule.
6. Cameraman at finish just going around videoing nothing in particular
7. Motocycle camermen miles from the riders and too much reliance on helicopter shots

It was just baffling, especially the area after the finish which was like a wilderness devoid of team personal, photographers or press where the organisers had put the whole area on lockdown.

Clearly BBC and the organisers have well researched how to televise and present an international bike race.......not. Maybe they should have just given ASO a contract to run and televise the race. I am sure others who watched from the road side had a great day but from the tv there seemed to be little in the way of "bike race atmosphere".

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Half of your points are no fault of the BBC, they are a result of bizarre idea that no-one having any information would make a better race and make for better viewing. The rest I can't fault you on, it was pretty shoddy.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
100% not the BBC fault. (although Hugh Porter was gaffe prone today)

The people doing the coverage is NOS I think, they hope the problems will be fixed for the race tomorrow.

Anyone going to the Womens race? I got to meet Mario Cipollini & Paolo Bettini after todays race, top blokes.

Izzy eviel said:
100% not the BBC fault. (although Hugh Porter was gaffe prone today)

The people doing the coverage is NOS I think, they hope the problems will be fixed for the race tomorrow.

Anyone going to the Womens race? I got to meet Mario Cipollini & Paolo Bettini after todays race, top blokes.

How on earth did you manage that ?

B_Ugli said:
Watched it at home on BBC although I have to say that the BBC coverage was appalling and only saved by Chris Boardmans commentating. I think even he was pretty bemused by how it had been presented on t.v. In no particular order:

1. Hardly no time checks
2. No graphic with km's remaining
3. No list of which riders were in the break
4. Failed to turn the volume up during Vino's post race interview
5. Failed to televise live the medal ceremony/post race interviews/buzz iand instead put on a rolling graphic of the rest of the days schedule.
6. Cameraman at finish just going around videoing nothing in particular
7. Motocycle camermen miles from the riders and too much reliance on helicopter shots

It was just baffling, especially the area after the finish which was like a wilderness devoid of team personal, photographers or press where the organisers had put the whole area on lockdown.

Clearly BBC and the organisers have well researched how to televise and present an international bike race.......not. Maybe they should have just given ASO a contract to run and televise the race. I am sure others who watched from the road side had a great day but from the tv there seemed to be little in the way of "bike race atmosphere".

Explanation here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/bbc-olympic-broadcasting-services-cycling

In addition the roads are not very wide. Very difficult to get motocameramen up along side the main peloton.

salixcycling said:
Watching it in the local cinema :)

They have decided to show several events, quite a lot of them cycling, live on one of their screens.

(If anyone is nearby: Forum Theatre, Malvern, Worcestershire

Tickets are free - don't know if they are sold out)

Wow I didn't know they were doing that, I live just down the road in Kidderminster.