• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic track cycling predictions

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Catwhoorg said:
Men’s team pursuit: GB
Men’s team sprint: GB
Men’s omnium: Clancy
Men’s sprint: Bauge

Men’s keirin: Hoy

Women’s team sprint: GB
Women’s team pursuit: GB
Women’s omnium: Trott
Women’s sprint: Meares
Women’s keirin: Pendleton

Each of the team events will come down to the wire, but I think GB gets em.

Bauge and Meares to break the stranglehold team GB will put on the Velodrome.

3/5 for the men
4/5 for the women and the DQ cost me the chance at the perfect record there.

Not too bad for a prediction.

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
Great Britain & N. Ireland 7 1 1 9
Australia 1 1 3 5
Germany 1 1 1 3
Denmark 1 0 0 1
France 0 3 0 3
China 0 2 1 3
United States 0 2 0 2
New Zealand 0 0 2 2
Hong Kong 0 0 1 1
Netherlands 0 0 1 1
Canada 0 0 1 1

spalco said:
Meares wins, simply the stronger rider today imo, regardless of how much BBC whines about the relegation. Congrats.

i don't agree.vicky was the strongest but sadly she cracked mentally.too much pressure...still a huge champ

laura trott,the hero of the day from the olympics in my opinion.the interview on the eurosport was one of the highlights of the year in my opinion :)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i don't agree.vicky was the strongest but sadly she cracked mentally.too much pressure...still a huge champ

laura trott,the hero of the day from the olympics in my opinion.the interview on the eurosport was one of the highlights of the year in my opinion :)

Well said. Laura Trott is a breath of fresh air, her interviews are most entertaining but nowhere as much as her riding! So small but so powerful and aggressive.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

It is debatable to say who was the strongest. I am not sure how you can say one was stronger but if anything Anna was stronger.

I am so happy for Anna. She oozes class.:)

May I remind you all that Anna kept her line the whole time. Victoria did not. Simple relegation. Go have a cry if you don't like it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It is debatable to say who was the strongest. I am not sure how you can say one was stronger but if anything Anna was stronger.

May I remind you all that Anna kept her line the whole time. Victoria did not. Simple relegation. Go have a cry if you don't like it.

Meares barged Pendleton. That's OK, that's racing. Pendleton leaned back on Meares and was bound to move to the right as the reaction force kicked in taking her over the line. Deviation and relegation. No complaints. Just don't make Meares into the saint here. Fwiw, I believe that AM would have beaten Pendleton 2/1, Vic has not been the dominant racer in the rivalry for a couple of seasons now.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Oozes class? So elbows and barging is classy?

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
stampedingviking said:

Think he means off the track. How she conducts herself etc.

Elbows and barging is part of sprinting though at the end of the day. I hate people whinging about that. They're the once every four year track fans that ruin it for the rest of us. Already ruined the Keiren.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
abbaskip said:
Elbows and barging is part of sprinting though at the end of the day. I hate people whinging about that. They're the once every four year track fans that ruin it for the rest of us. Already ruined the Keiren.

So true.

I want the old 'fighting keirin' back ... it was brilliant.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stampedingviking said:
Firstly, Anna kept her line. She did not elbow but Pendleton accidentally swerved up, out of the sprint lane. The way Anna conducts herself even in defeat is a very admirable quality. She is very articulate and gracious even when she doesn't win.

LugHugger said:
Meares barged Pendleton. That's OK, that's racing. Pendleton leaned back on Meares and was bound to move to the right as the reaction force kicked in taking her over the line. Deviation and relegation. No complaints. Just don't make Meares into the saint here. Fwiw, I believe that AM would have beaten Pendleton 2/1, Vic has not been the dominant racer in the rivalry for a couple of seasons now.
I am only going to question one part here that is bolded. Anna stayed within the rules. Victoria did not. That is all that needs to be said.

I would also like to congratulate Pendleton on her career. She has been a great ambassador for cycling in Great Britain and she should appreciated and held very highly by the people of Great Britain.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I am so happy for Anna. She is australian

There changed that for you. That is what you really mean after all.:rolleyes:

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
you can debate all you want whether Vicky swerved because of Anna's barging or not, but the final result was that nobody gained an advantage from it and it was a drag race to the line. results should have stood (and judges should not be allowed to view it in slow motion, only real time playbacks)

auscyclefan94 said:
Firstly, Anna kept her line. She did not elbow but Pendleton accidentally swerved up, out of the sprint lane.

Actually, Pendleton did not leave her lane until after the contact. I have no problem with the contact, part of sprinting, but lets at least get the facts right.

Throughout the whole sprint competition I thought Meares looked stronger, was a great victory from her.