• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2020 (2021): Harder to dope in Japan?

I'm not sure about who has been authorized to travel to the Olympics to support riders/athletes, but can one assume that it is more difficult to dope in an Olympics in Japan? Are team doctors in attendance? Would smuggling in performancing enhancing drugs be too difficult?

Last edited:
Reactions: Danskebjerge
Keep an eye out for athletes who fly in at absolutely the last minute. (Bit like the Italian team who flew back home between Wembley games on a Tuesday and Sunday at Euro 2020).
Some may even fly out of Japan between rounds and heats!

I'm not sure about who has been authorized to travel to the Olympics to support riders/athletes, but can one assume that it is more difficult to dope in an Olympics in Japan? Are team doctors in attendance? Would smuggling in performancing enhancing drugs be too difficult?
I would say the preperation for a one-day event (or even in extreme cases only some days) will tak place before anyway.

typo?...'more medals'....rather than 'more golds'.....are these events japan could be expected to do well in?

watching 10k on track surprised lasse viren was still spoken about with reverence....commentator..'amazing how he came good every 4 years?'.....reet AMAZING...all it took was a 'lil extra boost...........although then such action was less expected?

Mark L

Yep, more golds. And it’s going up…

Apparently, Bolt is suggesting the new hi-tech spikes are causing some of the improvement. The 100m women's race is the one to watch. Shocking to think, but FloJo's mark could actually fall?

It was too hot and humid to say much about the mens 10k. Distance running times have been pretty otherworldly recently, but the weather and tactics might put a damper on that in Tokyo.

Reactions: jmdirt
Have you all heard Ryan Murphy's comment about the Olympic swim meet. He basically said there are athletes at the Olympics who are doping. He won't say who, but implied that more than one in the finals of the backstroke finals are doping.
I wondered about his statements. His first statement (accusation) was about being disappointed at not being able to win because of dopers, but his second statement seemed to be a backtrack that he didn't mean Rylov (ROC) who beat him. So is he calling out the guy who got 5th, 8th?!

I appreciate athletes who are willing to speak up about dopers, but I think that Ryan blew it here.

Apparently, Bolt is suggesting the new hi-tech spikes are causing some of the improvement. The 100m women's race is the one to watch. Shocking to think, but FloJo's mark could actually fall?
I hope not. Swimming is still stained with world records set in the now banned "super" suits. If FloJo's mark is beaten, the technology is the worst way for it to fall. Sports like running (and swimming) are not supposed to be about equipment.

I wondered about his statements. His first statement (accusation) was about being disappointed at not being able to win because of dopers, but his second statement seemed to be a backtrack that he didn't mean Rylov (ROC) who beat him. So is he calling out the guy who got 5th, 8th?!

I appreciate athletes who are willing to speak up about dopers, but I think that Ryan blew it here.

I'm not entirely sure what he's talking about. Just found it interesting.

I remember 4 years ago Lily King's comments, but those were directed specifically to a swimmer who had served a doping ban.

Just a sore American loser. Nothing new. His big frame and his neck/head suggest he’s the one juicing it up, but when I’m doubt, point fingers at others. For decades the American swim team has more or less dominated, yet the others are always dirty and the Americans always clean?

Just a sore American loser. Nothing new. His big frame and his neck/head suggest he’s the one juicing it up, but when I’m doubt, point fingers at others. For decades the American swim team has more or less dominated, yet the others are always dirty and the Americans always clean?
Perhaps you are right. But then again I can see his point of view. The very fact Russians are still allowed to compete under their Olympic Committee is a farce. I don’t think America has ever been charged by the Olympics or global anti-doing bodies with state sponsored doping? Russia has which is why we now see “ROC”.

Perhaps you are right. But then again I can see his point of view. The very fact Russians are still allowed to compete under their Olympic Committee is a farce. I don’t think America has ever been charged by the Olympics or global anti-doing bodies with state sponsored doping? Russia has which is why we now see “ROC”.
they should be but never will cause its all about money and influence

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15

Those accusations are almost solely words of one man who fled the US in 2015, and has had an address there since 2011. A man who contemplated suicide and then blamed his wife. He didn’t get paid enough so he attacked the integrity of many athletes that contested their suspensions and won them in CAS. The last time I saw his face in the news he looked like a completely different person, like a slightly younger version of Scottish actor Brian Cox (of Manhunter, Braveheart, Rob Roy, Bourne Identity, etc fame). Before that he had a full face mask on with sunglasses.

I know in the Western world the flavor of almost every month is to target Russia, and this campaign spilled over into sports in 2014. Instead of trying to build individual cases, they went for the ‘state sponsored doping’ cause it was convenient and the media ran with it and that was also very convenient, went hand in hand with their theory that “Russia stole the elections…” (which has been debunked as well).

Reactions: topt
I know in the Western world the flavor of almost every month is to target Russia, and this campaign spilled over into sports in 2014. Instead of trying to build individual cases, they went for the ‘state sponsored doping’ cause it was convenient and the media ran with it and that was also very convenient, went hand in hand with their theory that “Russia stole the elections…” (which has been debunked as well).

The CAS isn’t perfect by any stretch but they are better then you give them credit for. You are entitled to your opinions. As for the ‘western world’ conspiracy theories you are entitled to that opinion too but I’m not going there as we get into discussion not allowed here.

Reactions: Koronin
Those accusations are almost solely words of one man who fled the US in 2015, and has had an address there since 2011. A man who contemplated suicide and then blamed his wife. He didn’t get paid enough so he attacked the integrity of many athletes that contested their suspensions and won them in CAS. The last time I saw his face in the news he looked like a completely different person, like a slightly younger version of Scottish actor Brian Cox (of Manhunter, Braveheart, Rob Roy, Bourne Identity, etc fame). Before that he had a full face mask on with sunglasses.

You could make good arguments how some countries are not under enough scrutiny, how they seem to get some free passes, how bigot some decisions and statements are. Instead you are spreading pure pro-Russia propaganda all the time. Who do you think you can convince that way? And what makes you do that in the first place?

TRENDING THREADS