• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2020 (2021): Harder to dope in Japan?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Italian athletics team came prepared, for once.
Don't know what they are cooking but it's good stuff. Almost every athlete is doing his PB, often a NR.
Yeah, why are our cyclists not on the same level, I want my money back.
Everyone and their mother getting a PB or even a NR at the right time is a bit suspect.
It has to be said that those with the fastest times in recent history haven't delivered in the 100m and it's a bit of an interregnum in the post-Bolt era.

• Love
Reactions: Lui98 and SafeBet
In fairness Jacobs had been running very quickly past 12 months, and I think a final had been expected/hoped for (indeed, he would have only needed to run his season best to qualify). I was very surprised by how much faster he was but there had been hope of a medal I think.

With the Italians generally there has been a lot more focus than usual for the past decade on athletics, so I'm not surprised PBs are becoming NRs. There have been loads though

In fairness Jacobs had been running very quickly past 12 months, and I think a final had been expected/hoped for (indeed, he would have only needed to run his season best to qualify). I was very surprised by how much faster he was but there had been hope of a medal I think.

With the Italians generally there has been a lot more focus than usual for the past decade on athletics, so I'm not surprised PBs are becoming NRs. There have been loads though
Oh yes, I expected to to reach the finals, but him being that much faster was a legit surprise.

Can the Americans stop preaching about honesty and cleanliness? They have been dominating the sport since forever, while having some unbelievable performances on the way. Stop feeding us BS.

Yeah, why are our cyclists not on the same level, I want my money back.
Everyone and their mother getting a PB or even a NR at the right time is a bit suspect.
It has to be said that those with the fastest times in recent history haven't delivered in the 100m and it's a bit of an interregnum in the post-Bolt era.
It's not just Bolt. Guys like Powell, Blake, Gay and Gatlin all used to be faster than this IIRC.

And everyone but Bolt got busted, maybe people aren't taking as many risks, since nobody but the king himself seemed to be untouchable.
McDonalds chicken nuggets are a helluva drug.

Seems odd the WR patterns for men’s sprint events seem to be flipped relative to many other disciplines. Records are being set left and right everywhere else. The oly weightlifters certainly aren’t having trouble gearing up and you’d think a lot of the same substances would be used…

Can the Americans stop preaching about honesty and cleanliness? They have been dominating the sport since forever, while having some unbelievable performances on the way. Stop feeding us BS.

No, the point is state-sponsored doping and coverups.

I won't -- and can't -- defend the integrity of any individual athlete, but I doubt the US government is aiding an abetting a coverup that extends to the highest levels of government agencies/ministers.

Regarding Jacobs, hm, that's hard, but I'll cut him a little slack. He's a recent convert to 100 meters, maybe it's a case of Dafhe Schippers where the talent was there but in the wrong event.

The Chinese 100 meter guy, on the other hand...a big Asian best at age 31...but the 100 meters is one of those events where you just have to assume that everyone's dirty, given the history...

Reactions: Cookster15

I won't -- and can't -- defend the integrity of any individual athlete, but I doubt the US government is aiding an abetting a coverup that extends to the highest levels of government agencies/ministers.

Regarding Jacobs, hm, that's hard, but I'll cut him a little slack. He's a recent convert to 100 meters, maybe it's a case of Dafhe Schippers where the talent was there but in the wrong event.

The Chinese 100 meter guy, on the other hand...a big Asian best at age 31...but the 100 meters is one of those events where you just have to assume that everyone's dirty, given the history...
Wouldn't bet any internal organs on any sport being clean.

What does interest me is different in endurance running performances vs cycling performances/climbing times over time.

I have to admire her for continuing this beef with Efimova this long. And, to be clear, King said that she thought the final of the 200m event she swam in was clean. And not only was she beaten, but the WR was set by a South African. So, she may be a hypocrite (if she is doping), but I don't think her comments were that out of line. I think there are a lot of swimmers that think the ROC got punished too lightly. It just effected Murphy a lot more than others. I have a lot more problems with the nameless reporters going after Murphy for his comments.

Murphy was trailed out of his press conference by several reporters, including one from England who asserted that Murphy “completely ruined” Rylov’s moment of triumph.

“I’m sorry you feel that way,” Murphy said over his shoulder as he kept walking.

Reactions: Ripper
The big Italian 100m sprinter came from nowhere, so much so that the guy who finished second claimed that he knew little about him. Then you check and find out that he was a former long jumper who went under 10 seconds for the first time only a few months ago. Then you have one of Salazar's graduates, Hassan, attempting to win the womens 1,500m, 5K & 10k races which is a fairly unthinkable schedule. It's almost comical to listen to the commentators drooling over some of these athletes.

View: https://twitter.com/thomasjameoneil/status/1421455122261942274/photo/1

Compare and contrast. Commentary on the BBC alluded to 'bad blood' between Jamaican female sprinters.
Yeah, the silver and bronze medalists seemed disgusted with the gold winner, could have been a personal beef.

Then you have one of Salazar's graduates, Hassan, attempting to win the womens 1,500m, 5K & 10k races which is a fairly unthinkable schedule. It's almost comical to listen to the commentators drooling over some of these athletes.
Hey, it's just coffee :)

Sifan Hassan says she has caffeine to thank after winning her first Olympic gold medal in the 5,000m on Monday.

The Dutchwoman is bidding for a historic treble of 1500m, 5,000m and 10,000m.

Ethiopian-born Hassan, 28, produced a devastating final-lap sprint to win in 14 minutes 36.79 seconds, but it seems she required a little assistance to carry her over the finish line.

"Without coffee I would never be Olympic champion," she joked.

Hassan's gruelling schedule means she will have run in six middle- or long-distance races in eight days.

The guy was a super strong 60m sprinter before (just look at his start in the semifinal, out of this world) with the 5th fastest time ever back in 2018 at the indoor WC and already ran a 10.17 100m time back in 2013 and ran his first sub 10sec 100m back in 2015, so it's not like it's totally out of the blue.

EDIT: disregard

ran his first sub 10sec 100m back in 2015, so it's not like it's totally out of the blue.
EDIT: wrong athlete Wind-aided? Can't find it, but it looks like it didn't count.

100m progression as per worldathletics.org:

201111.19Chiari (ITA)20 MAY 2011
201210.68Campi Bisenzio (ITA)19 MAY 2012
201311.19Chiasso (SUI)19 AUG 2013
201410.53Gavardo (ITA)18 MAY 2014
201610.23Savona (ITA)25 MAY 2016
201710.82Trieste (ITA)30 JUN 2017
201810.08Savona (ITA)23 MAY 2018
201910.03Padova (ITA)16 JUL 2019
202010.10Stadio Giuseppe Grezar, Trieste (ITA)01 AUG 2020
20219.80Olympic Stadium, Tokyo (JPN)01 AUG 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: roundabout
The big Italian 100m sprinter came from nowhere, so much so that the guy who finished second claimed that he knew little about him. Then you check and find out that he was a former long jumper who went under 10 seconds for the first time only a few months ago. Then you have one of Salazar's graduates, Hassan, attempting to win the womens 1,500m, 5K & 10k races which is a fairly unthinkable schedule. It's almost comical to listen to the commentators drooling over some of these athletes.
As someone who doesn't follow athletics, I had heard of Jacobs and in Italy there had been hopes of a medal.

TRENDING THREADS