• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics Doping Thread

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Ah more fool him then.

Stupid thing to be caught for on the eve of the OG

Well, with all the spotlight, the bus was revved up and ready to run over some nobody. Sacrificial lamb. See? Testing works. Now, get out of your Bridgestone-tyred Toyota, grab a P&G Bounty paper towel and a Coke from your GE fridge to go with the Big Mac meal you bought earlier with your Visa card, sit down on your DuPont stain-resistant couch to watch your Panasonic TV after looking at the time on your Omega watch, then get out your Samsung phone to check the full program of events at today's Olympics. Enjoy the games! (while engaging commercially with whatever the heck it is that Atos does).

Not sure if this thread is meant for athletes who got popped, or for ones we think should get popped. Apologies for that.

Unless they suffer an injury Bolt, Gatlin, and Semenya will be amusing to watch (for all the wrong reasons), Semenya is an exceptionally controversial issue. I mean...

According to current rules she can get away with more natural testo than other women, but being able to do that - how do we know she's not injecting some more unnatural testo? Are they keeping a bio passport on what reflects her "natural" testo level right now?

(As things stand she'll probably win the 800m by at least 20m anyway, so I'll bet my Monopoly money on her.)

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Not sure if this thread is meant for athletes who got popped, or for ones we think should get popped. Apologies for that.

Unless they suffer an injury Bolt, Gatlin, and Semenya will be amusing to watch (for all the wrong reasons), Semenya is an exceptionally controversial issue. I mean...

According to current rules she can get away with more natural testo than other women, but being able to do that - how do we know she's not injecting some more unnatural testo? Are they keeping a bio passport on what reflects her "natural" testo level right now?

(As things stand she'll probably win the 800m by at least 20m anyway, so I'll bet my Monopoly money on her.)

IIRC The blood passport now contains a steroid module. In her case one would hope they are keeping a close eye on it.

Re: Re:

ToreBear said:
IIRC The blood passport now contains a steroid module. In her case one would hope they are keeping a close eye on it.
One would hope, right?

At any rate, how about we deal with this issue like they do in golf? (Well, in a way, anyway.)

Intersex women can compete as much as they wish against us, but for us women who cannot produce as much natural testosterone we get a handicap? (Seems simple enough, I think.)

May 26, 2009
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
luckyboy said:
Read somewhere before (Twitter?) that London had 11,000 tests while Brazil will have something like 4,000 urine and 1,000 blood tests.

Nothing surprises anymore, nothing.

So those are the amount of tests for the Russians. :razz:

Also, news from CAS - rules that the IOC's decision to ban Russians who have previously been banned is "unenforceable". (Obviously we all know it was against WADA Code but now CAS rules it)

Noted in the decision about two Russian rowers
http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Media_Release__English__Karabelshikova_final.pdf

CpDQcAjWgAEadoC.jpg:large

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Remarkably, CAS has struck down the IOC's decision, but not actually forced the IOC to take the athletes. So athletes who have been unfairly sanctioned according to the CAS will still be sanctioned in precisely the same way. Ludicrous.

The appeal has been partially upheld on that limited ground but all other prayers for relief have been rejected, including the request to oblige FISA to allow the Applicants to participate at the Rio 2016 Olympic regatta and the request to oblige the IOC to accept entry of the athletes in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
The CAS Panel supported the approach taken by the IOC at paragraph 2. As paragraph 3 is unenforceable, the two athletes should be considered by FISA, pursuant to paragraph 2 of the IOC Decision, to determine their eligibility or not, without delay.

=

Not forcing FISA/IOC to let them compete but they will be judged by FISA as other Russian athletes have been by their respective IFs.
Same will go for Efimova and FINA when full ruling comes out tomorrow.

I guess they will all be approved because other Russians in those sports (excluding those named in McLaren Report) were.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

TeflonDub said:
Well, with all the spotlight, the bus was revved up and ready to run over some nobody. Sacrificial lamb. See? Testing works. Now, get out of your Bridgestone-tyred Toyota, grab a P&G Bounty paper towel and a Coke from your GE fridge to go with the Big Mac meal you bought earlier with your Visa card, sit down on your DuPont stain-resistant couch to watch your Panasonic TV after looking at the time on your Omega watch, then get out your Samsung phone to check the full program of events at today's Olympics. Enjoy the games! (while engaging commercially with whatever the heck it is that Atos does).

he got popped in Ireland, by Irish testers.

We do it wrong here. We need to be more like the brits and find loopholes when our athletes dope and let them go to the Olympics and bring back medals, so we can have street parties in Rathcoole and party like its 1996.

Tricycle Rider said:
ToreBear said:
One would hope, right?

At any rate, how about we deal with this issue like they do in golf? (Well, in a way, anyway.)

Intersex women can compete as much as they wish against us, but for us women who cannot produce as much natural testosterone we get a handicap? (Seems simple enough, I think.)

I call BS. Some men also produce more tests genetically than other men, do we need to introduce a handicap there also?

TRENDING THREADS