• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics Doping Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

GJB123 said:
I call BS. Some men also produce more tests genetically than other men, do we need to introduce a handicap there also?
Nah, I never suggested that.

The CAS had overturned a rule last year where intersex women had to either take meds to lower their testosterone, or get their internal testes removed. The IAAF was pretty generous with the number the testosterone should be lowered to, but like I said, that rule had been overturned, so now there is no limit on how high the testosterone level in intersex women can be.

I read that (forgot who said this) the top three 800m women are likely all intersex (they kinda look it), so that's interesting, and of course it puts women with a regular testosterone level at a disadvantage.

Armchair cyclist said:
TeflonDub said:
Catwhoorg said:
Ah more fool him then.

Stupid thing to be caught for on the eve of the OG

Well, with all the spotlight, the bus was revved up and ready to run over some nobody.

Research before you write please. O'Brien was tipped by Sports Illustrated for a silver medal.

Research (and remember) before you write please. O'Reilly got popped, Ireland don't have a boxer in Rio named O'Brien (and probably don't have one called O'Reilly any more). Silver medal prospect or not, he was such a big name, totally not a nobody, that's why between researching him on Sports Illustrated and running to write your J'Accuse! post, you had already forgotten his name. Thanks for making my point.

ferryman said:
Cannibal72 said:
POSITIVE! Greek athlete expelled, no further details.
Failed test in early July. As yet athlete is not being named nor the sport until B sample result comes in...doubt it will take a day or so for this be leaked tho...

He was at the Olympic village but left back for Greece. I suppose he/federation know that the chances are high the B sample is also positive.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Credit to the BBC, watching their programming now and they've been discussing the issue of doping in sport quite a bit. With vaguely sensible opinions too. :surprised:

ferryman said:
Cannibal72 said:
POSITIVE! Greek athlete expelled, no further details.
Failed test in early July. As yet athlete is not being named nor the sport until B sample result comes in...doubt it will take a day or so for this be leaked tho...

The athlete was at the village and left as the news came. I am guessing the high probability of the B sample being positive led to the athlete's quick withdrawal.

More of the same... good place to train apparently... :cool:

2prsq5z.jpg

BullsFan22 said:
thehog said:
More of the same... good place to train apparently... :cool:

2prsq5z.jpg

Didn't WADA just announce that the Kenyan's were taken off the 'non-compliant' list?

Yes, only two days ago WADA certified Kenya as complaint, lol! :lol:

Kenya has been removed from the World Anti-Doping Agency's list of "non-compliant" countries.

Kenya twice failed to meet Wada's requests for anti-doping mechanisms to be put in place, with athletes facing special testing before the Rio Games.

Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Remarkably, CAS has struck down the IOC's decision, but not actually forced the IOC to take the athletes. So athletes who have been unfairly sanctioned according to the CAS will still be sanctioned in precisely the same way. Ludicrous.

The CAS did not strike down the entire IOC decision on the rules to accept Russian athletes, only one aspect of the rules, to wit the rule that would have made ineligible a Russian athlete simply because of a previous sanction.

The case that struck down part of the rules involves two Russian rowers who were suspended in 2008 for two years but their suspensions had long since ended.

The rule in question that was struck down stated,

3. The ROC (Rio Olympic Committee) is not allowed to enter any athlete for the Olympic Games Rio 2016 who has ever been sanctioned for doping, even if he or she has served the sanction.”

The CAS stated this rule violated the fundamental and natural justice rights of the two athletes because it did not give them an opportunity to prove they have been clean since their 2 year suspension in 2008 which was over. The remaining rules as to eligibility established by the IOC on July 24, 2016 were upheld - in short it is up to the athletes who are applying to provide evidence to the "full satisfation" of their international sporting federation based on the criteria set out by the IOC in their July 24 decision.

RobbieCanuck said:
Cannibal72 said:
Remarkably, CAS has struck down the IOC's decision, but not actually forced the IOC to take the athletes. So athletes who have been unfairly sanctioned according to the CAS will still be sanctioned in precisely the same way. Ludicrous.

The CAS did not strike down the entire IOC decision on the rules to accept Russian athletes, only one aspect of the rules, to wit the rule that would have made ineligible a Russian athlete simply because of a previous sanction.

The case that struck down part of the rules involves two Russian rowers who were suspended in 2008 for two years but their suspensions had long since ended.

The rule in question that was struck down stated,

3. The ROC (Rio Olympic Committee) is not allowed to enter any athlete for the Olympic Games Rio 2016 who has ever been sanctioned for doping, even if he or she has served the sanction.”

The CAS stated this rule violated the fundamental and natural justice rights of the two athletes because it did not give them an opportunity to prove they have been clean since their 2 year suspension in 2008 which was over. The remaining rules as to eligibility established by the IOC on July 24, 2016 were upheld - in short it is up to the athletes who are applying to provide evidence to the "full satisfation" of their international sporting federation based on the criteria set out by the IOC in their July 24 decision.

Gosh. What a cluster @!$*%(&!

Benotti69 said:
luckyboy said:
Bet he wishes he was born in Brazil seeing as they didn't bother to do any testing in July

Did they not lose WADA accreditation so no point in testing?

Apparently when WADA found out sometime around July 1 from Louis Horta, they (Rob Koehler of WADA) wrote the Brazilian Anti Doping and Sports Ministry people stating among other things to ramp up increased tests, that it was unacceptable Brazil had stopped testing and the fact testing had stopped was a concern.

It appears Brazilian authorities originally claimed they stopped due to changes in personel in the Sports Ministry and not that the lab was not accredited. I think, although I am not 100% sure the Olympic lab was to be used only for the Olympics and had nothing to do with routine testing in Brazil before the Olympics where the labs that Brazil would normally use were still available to test the results.

TeflonDub said:
Armchair cyclist said:
TeflonDub said:
Catwhoorg said:
Ah more fool him then.

Stupid thing to be caught for on the eve of the OG

Well, with all the spotlight, the bus was revved up and ready to run over some nobody.

Research before you write please. O'Brien was tipped by Sports Illustrated for a silver medal.

Research (and remember) before you write please. O'Reilly got popped, Ireland don't have a boxer in Rio named O'Brien (and probably don't have one called O'Reilly any more). Silver medal prospect or not, he was such a big name, totally not a nobody, that's why between researching him on Sports Illustrated and running to write your J'Accuse! post, you had already forgotten his name. Thanks for making my point.

My apologies to Mr O'Reilly, in the unlikely event that he reads this forum, for not concentrating on his name. My lack of interest in pugilism does not make him a no name in his area of sporting endeavour, so my point still stands

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I watched the swimming...being 5 seconds ahead of the WR when you are in the back end of 400m race, calling out already busted athletes and professing to Australia and the world your one of the good guys......Watching some of the other qualifying races the womens 4x 100 seemed least suspicious...

Definitely thinking that some countries backed off the dope while others just plowed on, come on Australia won a bronze medal in archery - beating the chinese FFS...lol