• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics=Sham

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
That second article is a reminder of why the people who choose the Olympic cities are no longer allowed to visit them. They have the group presentations and videos all at once, because the cities used to spend big money courting the individual votes. People would vote based on the wining and dining and lavish gifts they were given on their personal trips to the cities. Now they all sit in a room as a group and view all the presentations, ask a few questions, and make their votes.

To go slightly off topic, but closer to pro cycling, I'm still a bit haunted by that New Pathways report. One or more Australian cyclists detailed one of the ways that cyclists cheat - by determining the winner of a stage where the break group makes it home. Some times a guy really needs a win, because he doesn't have a contract for the next year, or some other reason. They said that some times a guy offers cash, but there are other deals made as well. They "make it look good", but it's decided in advance.

With big money in gambling these days I hate to even think about other scenarios. I read the story about Armstrong offering money so he could win a million dollar bonus for taking the big American races one year. With news of point shaving scandals in other sports, I got sick to my stomach watching Contador let Schlecklet take the stage win at the Tour. After the video apology, he said what Google translated as "they had reached an agreement", and then there was the stage finish and the post-race wink. But some people here gamble on cycling, so imagine if some guys decided to make a quick payday by betting for or against themselves. It's not just post-race doping revelations that make me question what I see these days. And I'm still, for now, a Contador fan after weeks of being angry, but I'm not saying that he had a deal with Andy. But there's so many variations of cheating going on that it was the first thing that popped into my mind back in July.

So, how much does the original topic apply to the UCI, and their selection of venues for races like Worlds, and the selection of pro tour teams based on a rankings system not announced in advance or explained now, and the inclusion of new races on the calendar?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
That second article is a reminder of why the people who choose the Olympic cities are no longer allowed to visit them. They have the group presentations and videos all at once, because the cities used to spend big money courting the individual votes. People would vote based on the wining and dining and lavish gifts they were given on their personal trips to the cities. Now they all sit in a room as a group and view all the presentations, ask a few questions, and make their votes.

To go slightly off topic, but closer to pro cycling, I'm still a bit haunted by that New Pathways report. One or more Australian cyclists detailed one of the ways that cyclists cheat - by determining the winner of a stage where the break group makes it home. Some times a guy really needs a win, because he doesn't have a contract for the next year, or some other reason. They said that some times a guy offers cash, but there are other deals made as well. They "make it look good", but it's decided in advance.

With big money in gambling these days I hate to even think about other scenarios. I read the story about Armstrong offering money so he could win a million dollar bonus for taking the big American races one year. With news of point shaving scandals in other sports, I got sick to my stomach watching Contador let Schlecklet take the stage win at the Tour. After the video apology, he said what Google translated as "they had reached an agreement", and then there was the stage finish and the post-race wink. But some people here gamble on cycling, so imagine if some guys decided to make a quick payday by betting for or against themselves. It's not just post-race doping revelations that make me question what I see these days. And I'm still, for now, a Contador fan after weeks of being angry, but I'm not saying that he had a deal with Andy. But there's so many variations of cheating going on that it was the first thing that popped into my mind back in July.

So, how much does the original topic apply to the UCI, and their selection of venues for races like Worlds, and the selection of pro tour teams based on a rankings system not announced in advance or explained now, and the inclusion of new races on the calendar?

After a self-imposed exile for most of a decade, that was one of the most disgusting displays I've ever seen.

What happened to trying to BEAT your competitor? Hit him when he's down, attack when he's in difficulty, have your team launch attacks to draw the others out, etc etc.

It made it look like you had two top climbers who didn't really want to make the other guy look bad.

And don't get on me about AS dropping his chain. He did that while attacking, and AC countered as he should. Too bad if AS had to pay the 'idiot tax' that day...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
After a self-imposed exile for most of a decade, that was one of the most disgusting displays I've ever seen.

What happened to trying to BEAT your competitor? Hit him when he's down, attack when he's in difficulty, have your team launch attacks to draw the others out, etc etc.

It made it look like you had two top climbers who didn't really want to make the other guy look bad.

And don't get on me about AS dropping his chain. He did that while attacking, and AC countered as he should. Too bad if AS had to pay the 'idiot tax' that day...
I think he's referencing the stage that followed, not the dropped chain incident.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
You guys should probably steer clear of ALL of the post-Tour criteriums then. For those, you show up and are told, before the race even starts, what your final placing will be. Especially the derny crits...

Well, of course...

Anyone with experience in pro races knows that deals are made on the road, if not beforehand. Not all of them, but it's good for the scene if you share the wealth.

I also acknowledge that the stage spoken of re AS and AC was the one following the chain retardation. I was just mentioning that to cover my *ss in regards to posters whining about the incident...

JMBeaushrimp said:
Well, of course...

Anyone with experience in pro races knows that deals are made on the road, if not beforehand. Not all of them, but it's good for the scene if you share the wealth.

(Ok, might as well be the first to play the 'L-Card')

You mean like soft-pedalling up the Alpe TT until the patron passes?

"Even though I lost time today, I was happy all the same", the CSC Italian explained. "Sure, I had hoped to do a faster time, but that's OK. Lance was really super today."

Dave.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
(Ok, might as well be the first to play the 'L-Card')

You mean like soft-pedalling up the Alpe TT until the patron passes?

Dave.

Can't speak to GTs. Never rode them.

I'm speaking more of breaks when it's coming into 30km to go. There can be some creative deal-making going on. It behooves everyone to ensure ALL sponsors get a little glory.

Nothing like placing in a race and going home with more cash than the winner...

Sieeing as the topic is the olympics, i was always intrigued by the idea that a country is given doping leeway, when they host the olympics.

Im wondering if the UK will get it. Maybe they already had some of it in 08.
The England football team looks like it needs some improved dope. And the Tennis guys are in BIG need of it. Not Murray though, he spent the important years in Spain.;)

JMBeaushrimp said:
Can't speak to GTs. Never rode them.

I'm speaking more of breaks when it's coming into 30km to go. There can be some creative deal-making going on. It behooves everyone to ensure ALL sponsors get a little glory.

Nothing like placing in a race and going home with more cash than the winner...

Yup, probably only restricted to USCF cat 3 racing. Cannot imagine that the pros would stoop so low.

(This is not meant as any sort of slam or comment on you specifically JMB, just a general cycling thing)

Dave.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Yup, probably only restricted to USCF cat 3 racing. Cannot imagine that the pros would stoop so low.

(This is not meant as any sort of slam or comment on you specifically JMB, just a general cycling thing)

Dave.

Never raced USCF, not American. But I will still take that personally. If you don't think that happens on the road, you may want to remove your head from your *ss and keep dreaming of not racing Masters with the other choads.

Just to speak generally, nothing specifically towards you...

JMBeaushrimp said:
Never raced USCF, not American. But I will still take that personally. If you don't think that happens on the road, you may want to remove your head from your *ss and keep dreaming of not racing Masters with the other choads.

Just to speak generally, nothing specifically towards you...

I know it happens on the road... you moron... just speaking generally.

Boy, you try not to go personal and people go postal. I was merely reinforcing your point. Read it again.

Dave.

I saw what I am certain was a small professional peloton 'gifting' Contador a win at the Amstel Curaçao roadrace in 2007. I figure it was such a small, insignificant race (in more ways than one), they did it as a gesture in return for some quid pro quo in the 2008 TdF. Both the Schlecks were among the complicit. Little did they know AC's team would be excluded from the La Grande Boucle 2008.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
"Yup, probably restricted to cat 3 racing"

Since you seemed to be responding to my post, how should've I taken that?

If it wasn't geared specifically to me, you might want to tighten up your phrasing.

Sorry if I took it the wrong way, and I never said I wasn't a moron so I'll let that one slide...

Cut the back and forth insults and move on or face the consequences.

To move things back on topic, I would gather things will get "worse" before they get better due the money constraints as much of anything.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Should Jan have attacked a crashed Lance on the Luz Ardiden?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Sieeing as the topic is the olympics, i was always intrigued by the idea that a country is given doping leeway, when they host the olympics.

Im wondering if the UK will get it. Maybe they already had some of it in 08.
The England football team looks like it needs some improved dope. And the Tennis guys are in BIG need of it. Not Murray though, he spent the important years in Spain.;)

Unforunately the result of the money for votes scandal will be that England won't host the world cup not that FIFA will clean up its act.

JMBeaushrimp said:
"Yup, probably restricted to cat 3 racing"

Since you seemed to be responding to my post, how should've I taken that?

If it wasn't geared specifically to me, you might want to tighten up your phrasing.

Sorry if I took it the wrong way, and I never said I wasn't a moron so I'll let that one slide...

I've enjoyed your posts... you are no moron.

Sorry if I was too obtuse.

(that is why I added the paren just in case...)

Dave.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I've enjoyed your posts... you are no moron.

Sorry if I was too obtuse.

(that is why I added the paren just in case...)

Dave.

No worries. Often I'm too obtuse for my own use... Try saying that five times fast in broken english...

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Cut the back and forth insults and move on or face the consequences.

To move things back on topic, I would gather things will get "worse" before they get better due the money constraints as much of anything.

Should Jan have attacked a crashed Lance on the Luz Ardiden?

No.

Getting crashed by a fan (and a child at that) is a far cry from scr*wing up your shifting after you launch one...

Hence my allusion to 'the idiot tax'.

TRENDING THREADS