• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

Enough with these children races in the desert. Time for the hard men.

Gent › Ninove (196 Kilometer)
1 Leberg 132 km
2 Den Ast 98 km
3 Katteberg 90 km
4 Leberg 78 km
5 Kokkerelle 65 km
6 Wolvenberg 62 km
7 Molenberg 53 km
8 Leberg 42 km
9 Berendries 38 km
10 Valkenberg 32 km
11 Tenbosse 26 km
12 Muur - Kapelmuur 16 km
13 Bosberg 12 km

BMC (van Avermaet, Drucker)
Ag2r (Naesen, Gougeard)
Astana (Cort Nielsen)
Bahrain Merida (Colbrelli)
Bora (Oss, Pöstlberger)
EF Education (Breschel, Vanmarcke)
FDJ (Démare)
Lotto (Benoot, Wellens)
Mitchelton-Scott (Trentin)
Quick-Step (Gaviria, Gilbert, Terpstra, Stybar)
Dimension Data (EBH, Eisel)
Katusha - Alpecin (Würtz Schmidt)
LottoNL-Jumbo
Sky (van Baarle)
Sunweb (Matthews)
Trek (Felline, Nizzolo)
Team Emirates (Swift)
Cofidis (Laporte)
Roompot
Sport Vlaanderen
Fortuneo
Vérandas Willems (van Aert)
Vital Concept (Coquard)
Wanty - Groupe Gobert (van Keirsbulck)
WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic

*Edited by KB, map and profile courtesy of Netserk.

Map:

j5v8lBx.png

Profile:

CmjKJn7.png

Re:

Baldinger said:
Oh yes. Looking forward to this.

Can't figure out why Trek isn't bringing Mads Pedersen to the race. Seems odd.

Maybe sent him straight to Italy so he can do a lot of recon on the, well, strade bianche for the Strade Bianche...

Mystery solved; he's doing the Faun Environnement - Classic de l'Ardèche Rhône Crussol, and the Royal Bernard Drome Classic.
As for why he's doing those races, and not this - and KBK - I have no idea.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I really dislike the route change

The old route with flat cobbled sectors after the hills offered something different from other races. Even though seeing the old RVV finale again will be nice, I don't want it to be at the expense of the route of Omloop..............

I too preferred the old route, it always had a very good dynamic. Anyway, profile of the route:
CmjKJn7.png

Unfortunately, the section around Molenberg just isn't as great as the old section around Taaienberg, but nonetheless, I expect the real racing of this season to start with ~70km to go :cool:

I really like cobbles classics but if there is one thing I dislike about them it's that they are so exchangeable. There are numerous big races all taking place in the same region, all with the same climbs and this goes so far that a very old coassic can just completely change its route from one year to another. The racing will be good andway but I just prefer unique races like SB or PR

only just noticed what the new route is about, so they changed this into RVV Old. -50km.
Huh.. way to lose your character as a race.

Yeah the race will be good, cobbled races are almost always good, but it's a shame they made it this way. I understand the sentiment but do we really need 10 variations of the RVV in every belgian race?

Gigs_98 said:
I really like cobbles classics but if there is one thing I dislike about them it's that they are so exchangeable. There are numerous big races all taking place in the same region, all with the same climbs and this goes so far that a very old coassic can just completely change its route from one year to another. The racing will be good andway but I just prefer unique races like SB or PR
Agreed. Angry that your favourite climb isn’t in the Ronde this year? Don’t worry, it’ll be in H-N. Annoyed that Gent-Wevelgem doesn’t actually start in Gent any more? Well actually H-N does. Do you wish the crosswinds were tougher in H-N this year? Never mind, maybe the forecast will pick up in time for Driedaagse or E3.

I think it’s just that there are a lot of races in Flanders, and Flanders itself isn’t very big. So there has to be some course overlap. But with races like Criterium International disappearing, it’s at the very least odd that this small region of Belgium manages to hold fast onto such a significant chunk of the cycling calendar.