• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Cance > TheRest said:
portugal11 said:
sep vanmarcke doesn't have the engine to win on solo. in a good day, sep has the power to drop anyone on cobbles but he can't stay away for more than 3 km
Correct observation. It was also very evident in Paris-Roubaix 2016, where he was reeled in by the Boonen group after each time he had made a sizeable gap on the pavés. He doesn't have an engine that matches his technique on the cobbles
Nope, its a huge problem. Styby ate him after Vanmarcke looked incredible on Kapelmuur, 500 metres and he was basically caught. Its not too often that Sep looks this strong IMO, so I guess it bodes well for him, but he will still have a very hard time actually winning.
If he can put in that same kind of attack after 200km next weekend he'll probably win the race. Perhaps SB is in fact his best chance, because of his such poor Rouleur skills.

It was fun watching this year's edition, myself being Polish explains why :) Lotto kept things interesting, a stinging attack from Sep, a reduced group of favourites, and the peleton breathing down their necks - what more to ask for? Most importantly, the top 3 all showed grit and determination, and got well rewarded for their efforts.

On to Wisniowski now, I was beginning to lose hope, as his big engine has endlessly been at the service of Stannard, G., or Kwiato, but here we go, he might actually live up to his potential after all. I was trying not to get too wound up after his good showing in the ITT last week, yet he finally delivered! He can time-trail, climbs okay on steady gradients (was glued onto Dumoulin's wheel on Poggio last year), and has a decent kick for the line on his day - can't wait for more from him this spring!

Valgren deserved the win. He timed it right, the others watched, a nice day’s work for him. Vanmarcke looked the strongest, but his late attack was followed. At least he tried to win. Wisniowski overperformed his legs, fighting back on and then getting second. The rest, well, if you let the team with numbers send a guy up the road and don’t chase, you get what you deserve.

A mediocre edition of the race, mostly because the headwind made it hard to attack. A nice winner though.

mirunj said:
It was fun watching this year's edition, myself being Polish explains why :) Lotto kept things interesting, a stinging attack from Sep, a reduced group of favourites, and the peleton breathing down their necks - what more to ask for? Most importantly, the top 3 all showed grit and determination, and got well rewarded for their efforts.

On to Wisniowski now, I was beginning to lose hope, as his big engine has endlessly been at the service of Stannard, G., or Kwiato, but here we go, he might actually live up to his potential after all. I was trying not to get too wound up after his good showing in the ITT last week, yet he finally delivered! He can time-trail, climbs okay on steady gradients (was glued onto Dumoulin's wheel on Poggio last year), and has a decent kick for the line on his day - can't wait for more from him this spring!

Sep and Łukasz impressed me a lot, but in completely different ways. Sep was the strongest on the Kapelmur. Wiśniowski was hanging just off the back a lot of the time, but kept his big engine and did not panic and came out with a great result.

The headwind made it very tactical. Not a thrilling race, but intruiging.

Astana played the numbers game perfectly.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
SEP was the strongest rider.
Astana was the strongest Team.
GVA not looking good IMHO.
Out showing his Pedigree!

Somewhere at training camp. Sagan sharpens the form.

Didn't this race used to have a unique route or am I wrong? Seems like the spring classics in Belgium are losing their character. If a race route is copied, that causes two races to lose their unique identity.

What makes the spring classics great is that everything starts to matter when there are still 50km to go. An "exciting finale" doesn't make up for lack of excitement for 95% of a race.

But that's what sells now I guess... Star names and 5km of battle is a happy formula for many here. Last year's San Remo was one of the most boring monuments I've ever seen but most people loved it. So it makes sense for organizers to design routes that cause all the action to wait until the last decisive climb.

Anyway, smart attack for the win today. Really pretty to see racing in Flanders again! And it's good that nobody looked really dominant! Hopefully the competition is tight this spring.

Re: Re:

cellardoor said:
yaco said:
Think Trentin made a mistake when he got close to Valgren's attack and then stopped riding - He gets up to Valgren and then the lead group settles down and they sprint it out for the finish - The top 10 was not a true reflection of the race seeing most of the leading 12 sat up in the last km - Next time I'll try watching the last 8km of a classics race so i can give a precise opinion - I like the new course better than the old course - Astana put numbers in the final selection which often leads to success.

But Trentin had an Astana rider on his wheel who likely would have attacked as soon as Valgren was caught.

Yes - But then its likely another rider would have followed the Astana rider - Once you are getting into the last 1.5km, less likely attacks will happen.