• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 1.UWT (24/2/2018)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The bittersweet results of Sep Vanmacke:

2nd Paris - Roubaix ('13)
2x 2nd Gent - Wevelgem in Flanders Fields ('16, '10)
2x 3rd Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour des Flandres ('16, '14)
2x 3rd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite ('18, '17)
2x 4th Paris - Roubaix ('16, '14)

Re:

Sestriere said:
I don't know why everyone is complaining. Lot's of attacks counterattacks, regrouping, tactical racing. Many riders in contention makes for exciting racing. Races with more selection will come. Next saturday. Don't worry.
Yeah, the finale with Muur and Bosberg was quite good, actually. Unfortunately, the headwind didn't give much incentive for the riders to attack further away

Think Trentin made a mistake when he got close to Valgren's attack and then stopped riding - He gets up to Valgren and then the lead group settles down and they sprint it out for the finish - The top 10 was not a true reflection of the race seeing most of the leading 12 sat up in the last km - Next time I'll try watching the last 8km of a classics race so i can give a precise opinion - I like the new course better than the old course - Astana put numbers in the final selection which often leads to success.

Re:

yaco said:
Think Trentin made a mistake when he got close to Valgren's attack and then stopped riding - He gets up to Valgren and then the lead group settles down and they sprint it out for the finish - The top 10 was not a true reflection of the race seeing most of the leading 12 sat up in the last km - Next time I'll try watching the last 8km of a classics race so i can give a precise opinion - I like the new course better than the old course - Astana put numbers in the final selection which often leads to success.
What?
And what?

Re:

Sestriere said:
I don't know why everyone is complaining. Lot's of attacks counterattacks, regrouping, tactical racing. Many riders in contention makes for exciting racing. Races with more selection will come. Next saturday. Don't worry.

It is because none of their favourites won and the first group just let it go in the last km after Valgren showed them a cycle clinic.

Re:

Sestriere said:

Cause you know with this route that it's gonna come all together before the Muur and that it is going to be all about where you start the Muur. Just like a bunch sprint. The first 11 at the beginning of the Muur were the first 11 at the top (more or less).

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
What?
And what?

I liked the course but any course is affected by the vagaries of the weather - Headwinds have affected many races in the past and will so in the future.

Would like to see Van Der Poel to get a ride and see how he shapes up against the impressive Van Aert.

To be honest, I liked the old route because it set itself apart from the other northern classics a bit, but I think the headwind would've f***ed up the racing also on that route. Fair game to Valgren, attacked at exactly the right time. Good that Sep managed the podium, he was among the three strongest here for sure. And surprisingly strong ride by Van Aert - I didn't expect him here.