• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

One minute power/ watts

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know what Alliphillipe's one minute wattages run? This seems to be how he breaks away, usually uphill. That course was made for someone who has that ability to pull it out when everyone is on their limit. MVP and AERTS have this too to an extent. I think it's from the requirements of their level of cyclocross. Massive bursts of sustained power then recovery.

I don't know I don't speak Finnish
giphy.gif

Mihai Simion (and Vayer) had him at 8 w/kg.
Of course the number could be higher for a one minute effort.
If Vayer can possibly make it look any more suspicious, he will not hesitate to do so :tearsofjoy:
He's pulling what's left of his hair out, because a rider from Quickstep is the first French Worldchampion since a rider from Festina. :sweatsmile:

That said, i don't know which is correct, just a bit predictable that Vayer & co would come up with a higher number.

MVP and AERTS have this too to an extent. I think it's from the requirements of their level of cyclocross. Massive bursts of sustained power then recovery.

I know what you mean with Mathieu, though it is still completely different compared to Alaphilippe. But Aerts? He's a good climber for his size/weight but i can't remember him dropping anyone like that on a regular basis. If anything, i'd probably say Iserbyt or Pidcock. Mini-Nys already ridicules Aerts on these types of things.

Last edited:
It's going to be a lot higher for 1 minute. I know local cat 2/3 riders who can do 8w/kg for a minute.

It could be 9-10w/kg but it's of depending how one saved his/her money before that very moment. Alaphilippe was protected and maybe sandbagged climbs just a bit in earlier parts of the race to make this possible. And he is one of the very best in this. Very light of course, so absolute watts are not that big as trackies do, but after 6+ hrs..

It could be 9-10w/kg but it's of depending how one saved his/her money before that very moment. Alaphilippe was protected and maybe sandbagged climbs just a bit in earlier parts of the race to make this possible. And he is one of the very best in this. Very light of course, so absolute watts are not that big as trackies do, but after 6+ hrs..
It’s going to be more like 13+ w/kg for Alaphilippe, and I’d guess that he’s able to produce pretty much the same effort at the end of a long race as he would fresh, give or take a bit.

It is very hard to estimate such short efforts. There is a lot of uncertainty. I calculate 8.5 W/kg for the last 52 seconds (thats the time from the beginning of the attack of Kwiatkowski to the top). That is not that high, but it was also after 3 minutes of climbing. The highest numbers I have for him are:
8.9 W/kg for 1:42 min Rue des Jardins (stage 8 of TdF 2019 where he attacked together with Pinot)
8.6 W/kg for 2.48 min Huy 2018
8.5 W/kg for 2.50 min Huy 2019

In general, I have calculated one minute efforts over 12 W/kg (for Sagan and Van Avermaet). But I am not sure how reliable these values are.

It is a big difference between fresh one minute efforts and one minute efforts at the end of four minute efforts. Alaphilippe is really the master of the later ones.

It is very hard to estimate such short efforts. There is a lot of uncertainty. I calculate 8.5 W/kg for the last 52 seconds (thats the time from the beginning of the attack of Kwiatkowski to the top). That is not that high, but it was also after 3 minutes of climbing. The highest numbers I have for him are:
8.9 W/kg for 1:42 min Rue des Jardins (stage 8 of TdF 2019 where he attacked together with Pinot)
8.6 W/kg for 2.48 min Huy 2018
8.5 W/kg for 2.50 min Huy 2019

In general, I have calculated one minute efforts over 12 W/kg (for Sagan and Van Avermaet). But I am not sure how reliable these values are.

It is a big difference between fresh one minute efforts and one minute efforts at the end of four minute efforts. Alaphilippe is really the master of the later ones.
Rodez?

Reactions: Cannavaro
Absolute maximum for a top, TOP pro would be a little under 12wkg for 1 minute - when fresh.

At the end of a hard race 9 isn't too far from absolute maximum for 1 minute. I'm more interested in what Alaphillipe held for the last 20 minutes.

Absolute maximum for a top, TOP pro would be a little under 12wkg for 1 minute - when fresh.

At the end of a hard race 9 isn't too far from absolute maximum for 1 minute. I'm more interested in what Alaphillipe held for the last 20 minutes.
Thing is this is a 4 minute effort roughly. We know Alaphilippe doesn't compete on 20 minute W/kg efforts. And a one minute sample in a 4 minute max effort is hardly a good indicator of 1 minute max, especially on a climb this steep.

Mur de Huy is like 8.5W/kg for just under 3 minutes, my guess is a top puncheur would really easily break 9W/kg at the end of a race.

Thing is this is a 4 minute effort roughly. We know Alaphilippe doesn't compete on 20 minute W/kg efforts. And a one minute sample in a 4 minute max effort is hardly a good indicator of 1 minute max, especially on a climb this steep.

Mur de Huy is like 8.5W/kg for just under 3 minutes, my guess is a top puncheur would really easily break 9W/kg at the end of a race.
It would be doable, unless the race was long and ridden at a maniacal pace. Getting over 10W/kg for a minute after a hard ridden 200km+ road race would be approaching the limit.

Good question. Could probably go through Strava posts for pros for the Ardennes races and get an idea of mid/late race peaks. I think there were some figures for MVP from last year's Amstel.

I know it's not the same but Durbridge held around 800w for around a minute a few laps in a row at the Portarlington circuit of the Bay Crits a few years ago. Those races average 50kmh+ and he was peaking for Aus Nationals though, so some kind of barometer.

TRENDING THREADS