• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

One month to first race-How should I train?

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on racing collegiate this year, and theres roughly a month until the first race. I'm not out of shape, but what would be the best program to do for the next month in order for me to do well? Bear in mind that where I live, theres still 6 inches of snow on the ground, so its not possible to ride outside just yet.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
First obvious questions are distance? Course profile? What are your strengths? Weaknesses?

Looks like you'll be doing a lot of intervals on a turbo-trainer. I'd suggest a mix of general riding while watching TV to get the mileage up and focussed intervals (on other rides) to get some tone into your legs before race day.

Answer the above questions and people will be able to give you some better targeted suggestions

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
If you cant get out because of Snow neither can anyone else.

Just get as much riding as you can and dont expect too much from the first race
after 3-4 races you will soon get the knack.

You could try chasing or moror pacing behind the snow plough I know of some in UK that do it.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Generally the courses are between 25-40 miles, slightly undulating. I'm in the lower class for collegiate racing, which explains the low distance. I'm a better climber than sprinter, but I've had trouble keeping up with the bunch and I've gotten dropped due to that. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Advice that I was given by guys in our group ...

Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride .... then once youve finished that ....ride some more.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
liamlarkin said:
Generally the courses are between 25-40 miles, slightly undulating. I'm in the lower class for collegiate racing, which explains the low distance. I'm a better climber than sprinter, but I've had trouble keeping up with the bunch and I've gotten dropped due to that. Any help would be appreciated.

Personally I would spend each week on a mix of an endurance ride at easier tempo for over 3hrs and probably 3 sessions of steady state intervals per week. Something like blocks of (10mins with 5mins rest) x 3 with a 15+ minute warmup and followed with 15+ minutes of easier tempo riding. In the second week you could change the intervals to:
((3mins on 2mins off) x 4) with 8mins rest and then repeat twice more - same warm up and warm down.

But at the end of the day it depends what state you are in, what mental condition you have, whether you are willing to get out and ride that much, etc etc.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Intervals, intervals, intervals...then more intervals.

Yep - going out and riding easy won't help much at this stage (other than helping with the endurance to do the ride-length) but going out and smashing yourself from start to finish every ride won't help much either.

Be clever about the timing and amount of rest you take between rides. Think of it like working a muscle group in a gym - day on, day(s) off. And use pyramids of interval efforts to force strength and power.

oh yeah - and this late in the piece, never clip into your pedals without an exact plan of what you intend to do on the ride. then STICK TO IT

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If this is your first "real" race, expect to get shelled.

If not, start putting in those "trainer miles", so you don't get shelled.
Endurance, intervals, sprints, climbing.....They all can be done on a trainer.......if you have the will power..... and the drive to do well.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
if you are of age (17-23) and your base is good keep doing spinning workouts and lots of super hard efforts like everybody else has said. If you are in the gym and are injury free..you can do some failure stuff..like running stairs until you are so lacto loaded and then cool down. Even machines thrusts ..on a jumper or squat machine. as long as you can recover fast.. speed will come with better weather.. Race inside the race..so even if it looks like you are not going to win or even place ,race at the front until you falter. learn to pick clean lines and pedal thru as much as you can. try and race brakeless..watch the legs in front of you and soft pedal to regulate your speed..If you are racing with others from the same area everybody will have some of the rust you are dealing with...get something from the races..better at turning,better at braking and better at rolling(staying on the wheel in front of you) after the race pick a problem like getting squeezed/pinched before the corner causing you to do a monster interval that the first 10 guys through don't deal with at all..and then pick a goal for the next race. Wherever you are if you are racing in a month some guys will be fit..much more challenging w 12-24 inches of snow..good luck.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
liamlarkin said:
I'm planning on racing collegiate this year, and theres roughly a month until the first race. I'm not out of shape, but what would be the best program to do for the next month in order for me to do well? Bear in mind that where I live, theres still 6 inches of snow on the ground, so its not possible to ride outside just yet.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Are you racing at Rutgers race weekend by chance?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
liamlarkin said:
Nope, I'm in MWCCC. Rutgers would be a bit of a trip for me.

Ahh okay, thought I would throw it out there just in case you were racing Rutgers.

Snow wise I'm in the same situation as you, I may not even be able to ride outside until my first race. As previously mentioned, plenty of intervals and you'll have a blast with collegiate racing!

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The Lindsey Wilson race is a very hilly course. I take it you are a D rider? Ask your team mates about the course's high/low lights.They will have suggestions for racing it. Ride as much as you can. Fit in commuting to and fro school or work, etc. as "training" (it all adds to your base at this time of the year). For interval sake, the recommendation from Martin 318is sounds spot on for the LW course dynamics. But, hard to say for certain having never ridden with you or knowing more about your experience.
Think long-term in your training. Meaning it just isn't the first collegiate race that you should train for, but the rest of the year too (if you enjoy racing and continue to race that is).
Have fun mostly and learn learn learn.