• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Only 3 for GB.Good luck Cav

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Can it be true.GB including favorite Cavendish will only get 3 riders at the worlds.While Luxembourg will qualify for 9.
I know that they want to have riders from all over the world and not just the traditional nations, but there is something wrong if the best riders can't win.Apparently Hushovd and even Greipel will not have a full team.
Have Luxembourg even got 9 pro's

simo1733 said:
Can it be true.GB including favorite Cavendish will only get 3 riders at the worlds.While Luxembourg will qualify for 9.
I know that they want to have riders from all over the world and not just the traditional nations, but there is something wrong if the best riders can't win.Apparently Hushovd and even Greipel will not have a full team.
I don't think Cavendish is a favourite. The favourites are in my opinion Philippe Gilbert, Heinrich Haussler and Thor Hushovd, to name a few. The course is compared to flandern (without the cobbles of course), and I don't see Cavendish doing well there...

Besides, there clearly won't be enough teams interested in a sprint if Cav is present. And considering his team is so small, I can't see him having any chance of winning.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:

3 or 9 guys, nobody wants to take Cav to the finish.
The other nations will have sprinters there, but will prolly be aiming to make it to the line with a select group.

Even with 9, UK wouldn't have the guys to pull back an elite group on their own in the final.

The numbers 5 and up from countries like Norway or Germany aren't going to make the difference.
Cav will have to pull off a Vainsteins.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it doesn't sound like one for Cav. Can'tthink of any British riders suited to that course really. Roger Hammond might even be the best. Or Ben Swift?

simo1733 said:

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/searchRiders.asp

The following are on Pro teams:

Laurent Didier (Team Saxo Bank)
Jempy Drucker (Continental Team Differdange)
Ben Gastauer (Ag2r-La Mondiale)
Patrick Gressnich (Continental Team Differdange)
Cyrille Heymans (Continental Team Differdange)
Kim Kirchen (Team Katyusha)
Christian Poos (Continental Team Differdange)
Pit Schlechter (Continental Team Differdange)
Andy Schleck (Team Saxo Bank)
Fränk Schleck (Team Saxo Bank)
Tom Thill (Continental Team Differdange)

However, they will not be able to start 9 riders as they don't have 9 that have scored points.

Great Britain's problem is that they aren't in the top 10 at the World Calendar level (thanks mainly to Cavendish and Wiggins having less than stellar years), and can't get into the top 10 on the Continental Calendar since almost all their riders are at a ProTour team, Team Sky, so are ineligible to score points in Continental Calendar events. They need more riders scoring points at the Continental level (at the moment the domestic teams have done very little racing on the non-domestic calendar, so they're reliant on the following riders: Alex Dowsett (Trek-Livestrong), Roger Hammond, Jeremy Hunt and Daniel Lloyd (Cervélo Test Team), Mark McNally (An Post-Séan Kelly Team), Tomas Metcalfe (Palmeiras Resort-Prio) and James Spragg (Qin) to pick up points in .HC and .1 races. The disappearance of the Tour of Ireland has also hurt them, since British domestic teams could score points in that and the Tour of Britain lies after the cutoff point.

The rules are silly but everybody knew them beforehand.

It's kind of funny how Cavendish apparently needs half the rules of cycling changed to increase his chances of winning though.
(I still think he's perfectly capable of winning even without a team, for the record)

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Name them and i'll name you Luxembougers of same class if not above.;)

Oh I don't doubt that, you didn't stipulate that they had to be top professionals though - only professionals :D

Cav
Millar
Hammond
Hunt
Wiggins
Thomas
Cummings
Froome
Kennaugh
Swift
Downing

And that's off the top of my head.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
simo1733 said:

Lol, like Cavendish stands a chance on this parcours. even with 9 riders they could never hold the field together on this route.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Or 7, considering Luxemburg and Kazachstan don't have 9 riders that scored points, therefore would send less, and the remaining spots will be filled over the best 6-man countries in the continental rankings

that means colombia can start with 7, nice

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
simo1733 said:

1. I'd argue that both the Schlecks are at least as good as Cavendish, and way better than Wiggo. The fact that they managed to get Luxembourg that high up with just the two of them (helped by the fact that the qualification system is bonkers, of course) should testify to that.

2. Are you suggesting that Britain is a traditional cycling nation?

3. Hushovd will have a three man team, Greipel will either have 9 or 6. They're currently twelfth in the world (which means 6, as they're high enough up on the Europe Tour), but with Vattenfall counting they have a good case of jumping ahead of the Netherlands and/or Luxembourg.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Or 7, considering Luxemburg and Kazachstan don't have 9 riders that scored points, therefore would send less, and the remaining spots will be filled over the best 6-man countries in the continental rankings

The rules are less than clear, but I think that one only comes into play if a country doesn't have enough guys on their respective continental Tour to make six men squads - which both Luxembourgh and Kazakhstan do. I'm not too sure on this part though.

* A national federation not reaching its athlete quota through the world rankings ranks of the world calendar may obtain places up to the number of places it was unable to obtain in its respective tour – the UCI Africa Tour, UCI America Tour, UCI Asia Tour, UCI Europe Tour and the UCI Oceania Tour – but must not, however, exceed the athlete quota obtained in the world rankings ranks of the world calendar.
* The places of the nations which has been qualified by the world calendar but are not allocated in regards of the last disposition, will be reallocated to the nations from the 11th rank of the world calendar, with one supplementary place allocated by nation.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Name them and i'll name you Luxembougers of same class if not above.;)

Cav, Wiggins Thomas, Stannard, Cummings, Kennaugh, Blythe, Wegelius, Millar, for riders on Protour teams.

Luxemburgers? Wouldn't have replied at all, but I'm curious who all the Luxemburgers are.

ak-zaaf said:
3 or 9 guys, nobody wants to take Cav to the finish.
The other nations will have sprinters there, but will prolly be aiming to make it to the line with a select group.

Even with 9, UK wouldn't have the guys to pull back an elite group on their own in the final.

The numbers 5 and up from countries like Norway or Germany aren't going to make the difference.
Cav will have to pull off a Vainsteins.
I don't think Norway will chase either if Cavendish is in the group. Besides, we probably only have EBH who can do that in that case (Kurt Asle Arvesen hasn't been in shape all year), and it would be such a waste to use him for that when he should rather cover some breakaways or even be the leader in the sprint instead of Hushovd, who's been really slow this year.

I can only see Germany wanting a bunch sprint including Cavendish, so the chances of it happening are extremely low in my opinion. Besides, there are a lot of teams who would benifit from keeping the pace high over the hills in order to drop Cavendish, such as Australia, Belgium, Spain, Norway and so on.

hrotha said:
The rules are silly but everybody knew them beforehand.

It's kind of funny how Cavendish apparently needs half the rules of cycling changed to increase his chances of winning though.
(I still think he's perfectly capable of winning even without a team, for the record)

He's more than capable but I don't see any chance the other countries let worlds end in a sprint.

I foresee a big break with the likes of Gilbert, Boasson Hagen, LL Sánchez, Gerdemann, Visconti, Haussler (if fit) and that sort of rider fighting to get in it. Then many of those nations will sit back and try and make those who want a sprint chase. But there won't be enough people to make it an outright sprint. Cancellara will TT solo over to the group but lose out, either because of counter attacks from riders like Vino and Gilbert when he gets there, or because nobody is willing to help him, and he loses out to the likes of Haussler and Visconti in the sprint.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Actually, you should blame them for getting a Protour license in their first year. Had they been Pro Continental, Britain would have had 6 riders at the Worlds.
Yeah, that's such a ****ed up way of doing that, Denmark also risks getting 3 rather than 6 riders, because Saxo is Pro Tour.

Cav and HTC will just have to get their cheque-books out and pay off anyone riding for a nation without a chance of winning. Eisel would be the first obvious canditate being both an HTC team-mate, and Austrian.

Normally Renshaw would be a shoo-in, and if it were anywhere than Australia I'd still expect him to help, but with it being in Aus I think Renshaw would be lynched.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Cav and HTC will just have to get their cheque-books out and pay off anyone riding for a nation without a chance of winning. Eisel would be the first obvious canditate being both an HTC team-mate, and Austrian.

Normally Renshaw would be a shoo-in, and if it were anywhere than Australia I'd still expect him to help, but with it being in Aus I think Renshaw would be lynched.

Eisel has more chances than Cav IMHO

TRENDING THREADS