• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Operation Puerto

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here is what a friend posted (on a group in facebook) about what is being said about the interview. (I'll post what he said in Spanish and then the way it's translated)

El médico canario Eufemiano Fuentes será el protagonista, el próximo domingo, en Lo de Évole, programa de entrevistas conducido por el periodista catalán Jordi Évole. En el extracto que el programa ha utilizado para promocionar la emisión, Fuentes considera “casi seguro” que habrá quien esté nervioso por lo que pueda decir.
Fuentes, además, reconoce que “hacía trampas”, evitando, al menos en este extracto, usar la palabra dopaje y añade que “no conozco a nadie que no las hiciera”. Así mismo, asegura que si él contara todo lo que sabe, alguna de las medallas conseguidas por los deportistas españoles en los JJOO de Barcelona de 1992 serían retiradas. Lo de Évole se emitirá el próximo domingo a las 21:25 horas en La Sexta.
Fuente: Ciclo 21.
He said something similar in the past. And nothing.

If he says at least the sports where those medals were won I'd be happy!! :p:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Koronin
Fuentes did not talk much about cycling actually, but more on football and athletics.
Then: "It's a disgrace how much cycling has been linked to Fuentes, why don't people talk instead about all the other sports he was working in?"

Now: "It's a disgrace how little cycling has been discussed by Fuentes, he talked instead about all the other sports he was working in!"

Then: "It's a disgrace how much cycling has been linked to Fuentes, why don't people talk instead about all the other sports he was working in?"

Now: "It's a disgrace how little cycling has been discussed by Fuentes, he talked instead about all the other sports he was working in!"

It is your opinion, i was just being factual. The more the guy talks about anything, the better for sports as a whole.

Is there are transcript available/upcoming?

This build-up for the interview could not've been just hype, actually looking forward reading about what was in the 1991 "keys to victory-box of Melcior Mauri or how he meddled with blood bags as a Cada Rujal - team doctor in the late 1980s or apologizes to Ty Hamilton about his urine turning black in 2004 (botched blood freezing process).

I bet he also confessed having been a co-conspirator in the ransom plot to kidnap his own uncle decades ago... :oops:

No transcript that I've seen as yet. Marca's live blog, linked in my previous post, has the best summary of it I've seen so far. The closest he seems to have come to the stuff you and I would have liked him to talk about - pre-EPO use of transfusions - was that he used plasma expanders with Fermín Cacho. Him and what football clubs Fuentes worked with seem to be the big takeaways from the whole show.

Reactions: Koronin and Aragon
Him and what football clubs Fuentes worked with seem to be the big takeaways from the whole show.
That has been almost all of the reporting, and apparently Real Madrid is seriously considering a lawsuit because of his statements.

Because cyclist Jesus Manzano was very critical of the very lenient sentence that Fuentes got way back in 2013 (for endangering also his health), it would be ironical if he was forced to testify on Fuentes' side because Manzano has mentioned in the past having witnessed Real Madrid players at the premises of the doctor.

Reactions: yaco and fmk_RoI
Glad the OP started this thread. I've been lurking here since Floyd Landis was the most popular thread in the Clinic and Operación Puerto is still the biggest doping scandal to ever affect the sport of cycling. One way to avoid mistakes being repeated is to reveal history to current fans of the sport. Likely the UCI blood passport might not exist if not for the impetus provided by the Puerto scandal.

Armstrong was one man. But Puerto snared or implicated many top riders, including Alberto Contador whose Astana team was excluded from the 2006 TdF and Ivan Basso . But of course the biggest part was the links to unnamed athletes from other sports - obviously the world's richest professional sports teams in Football. I think the comment above by Aragon is a big reason why they got away with it and the stored blood bags are still not analyzed and linked to individuals - lawsuits, plus Spanish courts. IMO, justice and fair sport isn't important to those who might have spilled the lid on all those unlinked bags.

Yes its a disgrace and any casual read of events shows that "Spanish courts" worked overtime to clear any implication by Spanish riders. The sliver of hope (and that is a very small sliver) is that the bags still exist (I assume under refrigeration) so still have the potential to be analyzed and linked.

Operación Puerto is still the biggest doping scandal to ever affect the sport of cycling. One way to avoid mistakes being repeated is to reveal history to current fans of the sport. Likely the UCI blood passport might not exist if not for the impetus provided by the Puerto scandal.
TBH I'm not in favour of singling out one scandal and GOATing it. The wider story is important, from the hope enlivened by police raids at the Giro and the Tour through the despair of cyclisme à deux vitesses and then the long, slow crawl through Cofidis, Puerto, Landis, the Telekom confessions and Freiburg, Rasmussen, the CERA positives, and - ultimately - the Fall of LA. (I'm sure I've missed something in there. I used to know this list off the top of my head.) None of these on their own achieved anything, just like the police raids at the Giro and the Tour, but taken collectively they forced the hands of the teams and the UCI.

In terms of the ABP, the Telekom confessions and the CERA tests play as much of a role as Puerto. They were the scandals that had a strong German angle, the scandals that caused broadcasters to pull the plug and sponsors to exit the sport. It was when sponsors started walking that teams got together and agreed to start funding anti-doping tests (today, the teams contribute about 70% of the cost of anti-doping) while a handful of teams implemented independent anti-doping programmes that pushed WADA and the UCI to get the finger out and implement the long dreamed of notion of longitudinal testing, aka the Passport.

All that said, I'm not averse to seeing Puerto talked up, even if only to tone down some of the nonsense spouted about Tyler Hamilton and even Floyd Landis. Jesús Manzano risked more than either of those two did and without him Puerto wouldn't have happened.

One way in which Puerto did cause a major change: the way this site reported doping.

Reactions: Cookster15
Thanks for the read. That was good.

After reading most of it, what is funny is how the riders and coaches always play the "victims" game. Always relating to the words that the scandal is not good for cycling or the fans. Like trying to shut up the media when in the end they are the most guilty ones and the the ones that have created the chaos. Listen to Bruyneel, Riis and others. So funny.

Fast forward years later and we get the Armstrong scandal with similar words from everyone involved.

Now when we comment or have doubts about someone with out of this world performances we still get some people in here (I don't want to insult them because I will get banned) with the "do you have proof" or "this is not good for cycling" when in fact it is the riders and coaches the ones who have created this mess. With that respect, it is in the UCI interest to be ahead of the police before another big scandal happens and makes them look like inept once again!

Oh well, I will try to enjoy before a big scandal comes again!

Glad the OP started this thread. I've been lurking here since Floyd Landis was the most popular thread in the Clinic and Operación Puerto is still the biggest doping scandal to ever affect the sport of cycling. One way to avoid mistakes being repeated is to reveal history to current fans of the sport. Likely the UCI blood passport might not exist if not for the impetus provided by the Puerto scandal.

Armstrong was one man. But Puerto snared or implicated many top riders, including Alberto Contador whose Astana team was excluded from the 2006 TdF and Ivan Basso . But of course the biggest part was the links to unnamed athletes from other sports - obviously the world's richest professional sports teams in Football. I think the comment above by Aragon is a big reason why they got away with it and the stored blood bags are still not analyzed and linked to individuals - lawsuits, plus Spanish courts. IMO, justice and fair sport isn't important to those who might have spilled the lid on all those unlinked bags.

Yes its a disgrace and any casual read of events shows that "Spanish courts" worked overtime to clear any implication by Spanish riders. The sliver of hope (and that is a very small sliver) is that the bags still exist (I assume under refrigeration) so still have the potential to be analyzed and linked.

You're welcome. I was a bit surprised there wasn't a "generic" thread for Puerto and kept seeing different things in a handful of threads that didn't fit with the actual tread, so figured it needed created.

As for the blood bags that weren't damaged or already disposed of, the Spanish courts did hand those over to WADA. If I remember correctly WADA was trying to match those with athletes and apparently have matched several to athletes, but there is some gag order that unless there is an on going investigation that information can't be released. I would guess WADA still has all the bags that had been turned over to them.

Reactions: Cookster15

Festina was bigger than Puerto, it showed the sheer depth of doping in the peloton. I remember it breaking and commentators of many sports concerned about the potential fallout for their own sports.

It claimed many more scalps than Puerto, it's just that the penalties were SFA, with almost everyone getting to come straight back to racing.

I finally got around to watching the interview. IMHO it was worthwhile because Fuentes is an interesting character. Dramatic pauses, vague answers and occasional nervousness... and it's hard to tell if all or only some is an act.

In general, I don't really care if an athlete is doped or not. And I agree with Fuentes that the primary reason that these bonus recovery methods are needed are because everyone involved (organizers, sponsors, fans) want greater and greater spectacle. Fuentes also wore a sweet white suit, very on brand for some disgraced wealthy guy who has been exiled to the beach.

No transcript that I've seen as yet. Marca's live blog, linked in my previous post, has the best summary of it I've seen so far. The closest he seems to have come to the stuff you and I would have liked him to talk about - pre-EPO use of transfusions - was that he used plasma expanders with Fermín Cacho. Him and what football clubs Fuentes worked with seem to be the big takeaways from the whole show.

where is that link FMK - I can’t seem to find it. TIA!

TRENDING THREADS