• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Opinions on Wiggins

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What is your opinion on Bradely Wiggins?

• Unfavorable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
Here you say UCI cannot override EU laws and later you agree that trading riders for money or another rider sounds like a good idea. Sigh.

Believe me. The only reason UCI are kicking up a fuss is because they are getting nothing (no $$) for the transfer. They can paint it all they want, any colour they like, but they are only interested in

1. having more power
2. having more money.

end of story. To say anything else is pure naivety. I've studied contract law too, btw, big friggin deal.

You mistook my intent. My issue is not with trading riders, it is with the timing, who instigates it and inevitably when a trade happens, who gets the money. The idea Craig1985 mentioned seems sensible. Team management hold the contract negotiations. Come to a decent equitable fee and reach an agreement. Nothing to do with UCI at all and no need for them to line their pockets. This does not devalue your points. I frankly think the UCI don't deserve a cut.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yup. He turned into a giant tool after the Tour. Dissing his team was the turning point for me. I hope he falls flat on his face.

He probably will fall like a dead richard unless he took Garmin's dietician with him to cook up those fabulous rice cakes for Sky.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins doing the dirty on Garmin is a moot point - Garmin were paid a ridiculous pay off.

Wiggo is a legend, a clean fourth place after coming from relative obscurity - although I think he will do no better than last year he will not do worse than sixth this year. To back this up I'll have a wager with anyone on this forum, declare yourselves now!

gingerwallaceafro said:
Wiggins doing the dirty on Garmin is a moot point - Garmin were paid a ridiculous pay off.

Wiggo is a legend, a clean fourth place after coming from relative obscurity - although I think he will do no better than last year he will not do worse than sixth this year. To back this up I'll have a wager with anyone on this forum, declare yourselves now!

Wiggins won't get in the top ten. He will blow apart during one of the moutain stages and drop twenty minutes.

gingerwallaceafro said:

LOL. I'm not even going to address the "clean" comment since this is not the clinic.

But the terms "legend" and "fourth place" do not belong in the same sentence. A legend, yes that is some very funny stuff. Wiggins is not going to be anywhere near the top 10 and will be dropped like a stone on the first major climbing stage.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
LOL. I'm not even going to address the "clean" comment since this is not the clinic.

But the terms "legend" and "fourth place" do not belong in the same sentence. A legend, yes that is some very funny stuff. Wiggins is not going to be anywhere near the top 10 and will be dropped like a stone on the first major climbing stage.

Wanna bet? If you're so sure put your money where your mouth is..:) http://www.betfair.com

To me, coming from relative obscurity and placing fourth, clean, is quite legendary. If you'd like to have a bet with me about Wiggins placing in the top ten or not, let's bet against each other if you're so sure.

gingerwallaceafro said:

Thanks for the laugh! :D:D

gingerwallaceafro said:
Wanna bet? If you're so sure put your money where your mouth is..:) www.betfair.com

To me, coming from relative obscurity and placing fourth, clean, is quite legendary. If you'd like to have a bet with me about Wiggins placing in the top ten or not, let's bet against each other if you're so sure.

I am not into betting, so sorry about that.

I would not say Asso came from "obscurity", as he has been around for quite some time, having won the Olympics and riding several GTs - this is something you know, so perhaps you are trying to bait people?

He did seem to come 'out of nowhere' to place so well, which arouses more than a little suspicion. Others who have come out of nowhere have been proven to be anything than clean - but that can be discussed in the clinic :p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Roger Legeay seemed to be of the opinion that Wiggins could ride well in a GT and finish high up when he rode for Credit Agricole, whether or not he said this in the press, or English language press at least, I do not know. Rolf Aldag and Brian Holm said from his time at Columbia, by looking at his SRM files they knew what he was capable of in terms of wattage etc.

Mind you these comments came out after the Tour though. Obviously I don't have access to those SRM files so I can't tell you whether or not it is a load of crock.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Not really. The last bet I put on was on Italy to win the World Cup (soccer ;)), last time round - and I think that was far more of a punt than Wiggo finishing top ten!

There's some usually sensible posters on here, making sneidy comments that are falling short of the mark.

Angliru said:
Do you have some sort of gambling sickness?:confused: That is the 3rd "wanna bet" that you've posted.

Either that or he hasn't graduated from 6th grade yet. (Wanna Bet? Wanna Bet? Wanna Bet?)

Back on topic-I think Bradley Wiggins is good enough to get a nice placing here or there. He's not strong enough for anything else.

Climbing isn't always about being light, it's strength-to-weight ratio and VO2 max. Look at all the weight Abraham Olano lost when he was riding as a pro in an effort to climb with the world's best and it didn't work.

There is a big difference between climbing with the front group and being able to accelerate away from them. He can do the former but not the latter.

Berzin said:
Either that or he hasn't graduated from 6th grade yet. (Wanna Bet? Wanna Bet? Wanna Bet?)

Back on topic-I think Bradley Wiggins is good enough to get a nice placing here or there. He's not strong enough for anything else.

Climbing isn't always about being light, it's strength-to-weight ratio and VO2 max. Look at all the weight Abraham Olano lost when he was riding as a pro in an effort to climb with the world's best and it didn't work.

There is a big difference between climbing with the front group and being able to accelerate away from them. He can do the former but not the latter.

Bingo. Wiggins was fine so long as the tempo was consistent. When the attacks started flying on Col de Romme, well he was properly left in the rear . . . to grind out a high tempo until he imploded. I don't recall him putting in any attacks on Stages 17(Col de Romme/Colombiere) or 20 (Ventoux)--just trying to maintain contact/limit losses. I don't think he will fare as well when the inevitable battles start between Contador and the Brothers Schleck.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Oooh, the negativity.

A good bloke makes vast improvements, gets top 4 in the tour, leaves Garmin and upsets a few moralistic people. Now everyone feels the need to have a *****, gripe and a moan, leaving sense aside.

What I am saying is, if you are so sure he won't finish top ten I'm presenting the opportunity to put your money down, if you're so sure. And I'm the one that's sounding childish? :)

gingerwallaceafro said:
Oooh, the negativity.

A good bloke makes vast improvements, gets top 4 in the tour, leaves Garmin and upsets a few moralistic people. Now everyone feels the need to have a *****, gripe and a moan, leaving sense aside.

What I am saying is, if you are so sure he won't finish top ten I'm presenting the opportunity to put your money down, if you're so sure. And I'm the one that's sounding childish? :)

Right, they're leaving sense aside. It sounds like you might be one of those folks who suddenly gets wayyyy too serious all of a sudden.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree that while Wiggins is in a Grand Tour with Contador he will not win it, but we have seen GTs won where the Time Trialler wheelsucks on the climbs and does enough damage in the TTs to take overall.

Menchov last year's Giro for example. When is Menchov ever going to dance away from proper climbers or even anyone half decent? Never - but with a favourable course and by holding his nerve he has won 2 GTs.

Winterfold said:
I agree that while Wiggins is in a Grand Tour with Contador he will not win it, but we have seen GTs won where the Time Trialler wheelsucks on the climbs and does enough damage in the TTs to take overall.

Menchov last year's Giro for example. When is Menchov ever going to dance away from proper climbers or even anyone half decent? Never - but with a favourable course and by holding his nerve he has won 2 GTs.

That one Vuelta had the worst GT course in recent memory until the 2009 TdF came along. And Menchov was super strong in the mountains during the Giro. He won a mountain top finish and was able to stick to Di Luca like a fat kid on a buffet during the other mountain stages.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
gingerwallaceafro said:
You're welcome!

If anyone wants to have a bet with me about Wiggo finishing/not finishing top 10, I'd like to hear from you. :)

I have been one of the more vocal Wiggins detractors, but despite the many misgivings and daft behaviour, I still think he will top ten. If you want anyone, other than a gambling addict or nutcase to take any punt on finishing outside the top 10 then I think you might be out of luck. Best to stick with the top 10 for the punts, which coincidentally put people off a punt, because Wiggins has one result to his name on GC. 2009 had too many variables and non factored incidents to make his probable 2010 finish anything other than a long shot.

Wait till June and somebody will take you up.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:

Menchov went with every Di Luca attack. Di Luca gained some time at the line a few times, only for Dennis to make the time back a day or two latter, especially in the last half of the race. Apart from the two stages Sastre won, Menchov climbed better than everyone else at the Giro in 2009, making an exemption for Di Luca.

Menchov did in 2008. He fell off his bike going round a corner. Downside is Dennis falls off his bike. Open your eyes in future. Just because he goes with another rider does not mean he wasn't pulling some serious power, like when Di Luca decided he needed to make time up. Dennis had a strong enough lead after the ITT and Levi blowing up on the really hot stage. I swear, sometimes people make it seem like anyone can win a GT.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I swear, sometimes people make it seem like anyone can win a GT.

Not at all, my point was when has Menchov put real time into a proper climber who was contending the GC on a big climb in a GT?

He hasn't, he hung in there with some good riders, and nicked seconds off the likes off Sastre and Di Luca on the less mental stages, but, like pretty mcuh everyone else, he has no chance of sticking with Contador and A Schleck when they go at it. Yet he has still won two GTs.

That's canny riding and playing to his strengths.

(I admit wheelsucking was a bit unfair - he knew he didnt really have to take the initiative cos he would take Di Luca in the TTs, and he chose to mark Di Luca rather than follow Sastre when he really went on the attack, I guess he calculated Sastre would not make enough of a gap and he was correct.)

Why can't Wiggins get on the podium with more focus and belief (and other things, depending on your ivew on that)? He is a similar kind of rider, he is at least as powerful, and he falls off quite a bit less.

As no Brit has ever podiumed on a GT, that's all he has to do - I dont care if he does it on a comparatively easy parcours in a year when all the best GC riders have their attention elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS