• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oscar Sevilla Suspended.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Why didn't he just use saline instead? Are the effects of HES longer lasting?

Alpe d'Huez said:
Isn't this pretty much what Museeuw was very likely doing nearly a decade ago now? I don't remember all the transcriptions from the phone taps, but beyond the Aranesp and HGH, with plasma expander being the new thing at the time.

I'm going to really read between the lines here but this is also telling me that EMPs such as Hemomer which are all but impossible to detect still aren't as widely available to many riders willing to do what it takes to cheat.

Also wonder if the UCI is going to continue to take us all for fools on this and say this is an isolated incident, and doping has all but been eliminated, etc. If they say anything at all.

Umm, why? HemoMer is a substitute for EPO, right? You still can't allow your hct to climb too much regardless of the detectability of the drug/method you used to increase your RBC mass.

python said:
hes is an old, out-of date, poor-man's blood volume expander.

speaking from memory, but the straight forward test was developed in the 90s and the whole national x-ski crew of a Scandinavian origin (sweeds ??) was once popped.

sevilla is a very stupid man indeed.

It was the finns in 2001. A swede has never been caught.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Why would Sevilla be using a plasma volume expander for EPO usage if they have tests already in place for it? Of course in years past they used to send few samples to Switzerland in order to be analyzed. This process used to take at least a couple of months. So they knew they could get caught by using EPO unless they were confident that the new Lab in Bogota did not have the equipment or accessories to do the EPO test. This is rather strange. IMHO he was doing blood transfusions.

If it is EPO, then send all his samples to Canada of Europe to one of those WADA long time accredited labs and nail him completely.

Something here just doesn't make any sense or we are missing something as to how these drugs work.

I think it is the latest, these guys (i.e. cyclist and doctors) are amazing wizards when it comes to drugs :D

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
This is my question. This drug, Hydroxyethyl starch, is used as a plasma volume expander. So can it be used for a blood transfusion cover up also?

So far they have talked about the EPO but not about a potential blood transfusion.

Why would Sevilla be using a plasma volume expander for EPO usage if they have tests already in place for it? Of course in years past they used to send few samples to Switzerland in order to be analyzed. This process used to take at least a couple of months. So they knew they could get caught by using EPO unless they were confident that the new Lab in Bogota did not have the equipment or accessories to do the EPO test. This is rather strange. IMHO he was doing blood transfusions.

If it is EPO, then send all his samples to Canada of Europe to one of those WADA long time accredited labs and nail him completely.

or maybe he had not been tested this year and thought he was safe?

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oscarito first reaction "" FURIOUS ""

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sevilla: "I have a clear conscience, I do not know which is the substance"
Oscar Sevilla is displayed "calm" but mostly "surprised" after the UCI announced the interim suspension of an adverse analytical finding of hydroxyethyl starch in your urine sample after a test in the Tour of Colombia on 15 August 2010.
Nino Sevilla prefers to be cautious until he has talked to his lawyers, but has served BICICICLISMO with this comment.

"I found out this morning and woke up with the news. I'm surprised because I do not know what that substance is and where it must have come from" he says.

"I'm talking to the doctors to see what may have happened. I have a clear conscience, not done anything under my responsibility and have to wait," he explains.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=30574

Sevilla is outraged. "It also hurts me how it becomes public these things and to judge before they know what happened. I do not understand the UCI," he stresses.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
He should just shut his mouth, leave the sport and never come back.

It's as easy as that.

*No* is NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

Niño Sèvillâ: “Tengo la conciencia tranquila, ni sé que es esa sustancia”
lupie.gif

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Se&#241 said:
He should just shut his mouth, leave the sport and never come back.

It's as easy as that.

DAOTEC said:
*No* is NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

spook.gif

Se&#241 said:
What??????

Were you trying to quote somebody else and instead quoted me by mistake?

*No* is NOT TTTTT TTTTTTT Cômprèndè
lupie.gif

***** edited by mod ****

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That's why when these guys test positive, you give them 4 year bans as they will either be dettered from coming back or it will take them forever to get back into the sport which wil hopefullly change their mindsets.

hrotha said:
He denies everything? Someone help me, I seem to have dropped my monocle.

Either they have a selection of cards with pre-defined excuses that they draw from or maybe they memorise the "best" ones used by others before them... Wait! He could just reuse his own excuses from years before :)

It's funny, because the more the excuse sounds something like what you've heard before, the less you believe it - I actually took his poor attempt at an excuse as confirmation that he doped...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sevilla is going to fight this thing, likely to win and race the Clássico RCN Sep 30.

Oscar Sevilla

I've always raced clean and honest. This is absurd and incomprehensible.

17/09/1910 / 2:20 PM

The steaming cup of coffee in the hands of Oscar Sevilla, and his face serene, unshaven, they can not hide the great sadness and disappointment that accompany 12 hours after being informed by the media, presented an abnormal examination of medical doping test conducted after the last stage of the Vuelta a Colombia, because he was the that day ot the Individual Time Trial in the city of Medellin.

[Www.revistamundociclistico.com] > Oscar was invited to this dialogue in Bogota after having spent "the worst day of my life" in his words, because "I was leaving to coach, before I check the Internet and on different pages the report of the ICU, I had some prior information, nor the Colombian Cycling Federation, except my team proud country, nor the Spanish Federation to which he belongs my license. I felt like a blow on the head and I can hardly believe it. It seems totally absurd to think that I can try any trick to win the stage knowing that I have an obligation to pass a medical examination. That's like if you know that for x out door will shoot you and you go out there anyway. It's like a suicide and if someone has no reason to do so am I. "

As the substance could have gotten your body?
No idea. I know myself well enough, care strictly my food, beverage, and the race would only go with the team doctor for some anti-inflammatory drugs following the fall suffered in the step towards Lebanon. Also, in my capacity as leader of the Vuelta I was, I had to go through before the last 7 controls. And let me also add that I have had tests of urine, blood, etc.., Etc. winner of the Classic Anapoima, Mexico Tour of the Tour of Antioquia, the Marco Fidel Suarez most recently and if I may, let me also say that I am voluntarily submitted to the UCI's biological passport just to show I run and I always run clean and honest "

*** edited by mod ***

53249054_10-search.jpg

Here Oscar and der Jan in 2005-06.

DAOTEC said:
*No* is NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

lupie.gif

DAOTEC. Standing up for PEDs as usual.

People like you are what is making me lose touch with cycling. Watching doped performances is just BORING. No matter how fast they go, you can't enjoy it.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but they certainly weren't Scandinavian. Maybe you're talking about the Finnish team? No Scandinavian xc-skier has ever been caught for doping (as far as I know).

5 Finnish skiers got caught for HemoHES in 2001. As far as I know Finland is usually included in Scandinavia...

Apparently Norwegian and Swedish sports authorities knew about the new doping test used in Lahti 2001 but the Finnish did not (some one said that the Finnish authorities had been informed that there would be no test for HemoHES).

Btw dug up an interesting story about covering up a Finnish skiers failed haemoglobin test: Kuitunen had a too high haemoglobin in a WC race in Italy 2000 but the FIS (equivalent to UCI in skiing) authority swede Bengtsson, head of XC-skiing department, agreed to cover it up if Kuitunen did not finish the race. This was revealed by the former Finnish head coach and confirmed later by Bengtsson. PS. Kuitunen unfortunately broke her skiing pole after 3km of racing and quit :)

So apparently the UCI isn't the only one covering things up........

RdBiker said:
5 Finnish skiers got caught for HemoHES in 2001. As far as I know Finland is usually included in Scandinavia...

Usually, yes, but its inclusion is contentious. Scandinavia is officially the north European peninsula, but it's up to you whether you choose the Bay of Bothnia or the Gulf of Finland as the cutoff point. Ethnically, Finns (and Sami) are clearly delineated from the Norwegians, Danes and Swedes too.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Another Statement

Oscar Sevilla in his final chrono ?

[www.nuestrociclismo.com] Friday - 17 September. The rider Oscar Sevilla was at first very surprised at a statement issued on Thursday 16 September by the UCI, in which the rider got suspended pending an investigation into the cause of a suspected indication of an adverse analytical finding of hydroxyethyl in his urine sample.
The suspected presence of a substance found in the analysis was made after a test conducted after the last stage of the Tour of Colombia, then sent to an accredited laboratory in Bogota.

The manchego Sevilla was interviewed during the whole day yesterday by all different media, in which he expresses his surprise, knowing the statement issued by the UCI, of which we learned through the electronic media, since the Colombian Federation of Cycling has not had or reached any notification about it. :mad:
He can not explain how the substance if...?, could even have gotten in his body, and should he have known, he had pleaded guilty in this regard.

Another fight in his career that he will have to face now at the end of this season, which is 'as one of the best Spanish riders ever' describes, one of the best, if not the best, of his professional carreer and personal life, with the arrival in December of Oscar's first child with his wife Yvonne, he expected that his happiness would be complete, but that's in jepourdy due to the embarrassing situation he is in now.
The cyclist goes through a very difficult situation that once again shows that Colombia applauds and believes in Sevilla, as already expressed by his teammates and other persons close to cycling that we know, and we believe in his words, his professionalism and love for the bike.

Sevilla went true 7 medical doping checks during the Tour of Colombia already before the last, he says it's to absurd to believe that I would consume any banned substance, knowing in advance that I was forced to go through the controls finishing top 3 in the final TT and GC.

! With the support of his team Indeportes Antioquia - Orgullo Paise, and the advice of Colombian and Spanish lawyers, we will struggle and fight to clear his name so that Oscar can end his season doing what he enjoys doing in life, running on his bike according to a statement just made by the governor Luis Alfredo Ramos Botero.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Latest posts