• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oxivecarbon experience - 29" 33mm carbon Asymmetric Wheelset

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I took a leap of faith and ordered these for my 2015 Jet 9 Carbon. The set cost me ~$540 shipped with Powerway M32 hubs. The wheels shipped quickly (next day) and arrived super fast (within 8 days of order). They setup tubeless in less than 30 minutes with Stan's rim tape and sealant, Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in the rear, High Roller II 2.3 in the front. Now to my riding impressions.

These wheels are SUPER stiff, super light and very durable. I've thrown them onto the truing stand every two weeks for the past 2 months and no issues with spoke elongation or nipple settling. I crushed all my times up and down just about everywhere I ride, but I had to reduce my fork and shock pressure because the stiffness made the ride so harsh. I also tried reducing the tire pressure and this worked.. to a point.. which is my next point.

The rim bead cracked mid-ride when I hit a sharp rock in the middle of the trail, which means I was probably running them too low. I had never bottomed out at any pressure with these before, and the rock garden I was traversing I had been through many times, so I guess I was just unlucky this time. I immediately emailed customer support and sent them pictures of the impact, and they shipped me a brand new rim the next day! Their only advice: "This wheel is super light XC wheels, so please do not use them on poor road conditions. thanks for your support."

I bought these for mountain biking, and the mountains around here are a little bit rocky.. did I miss something when I bought these? I don't think so, because they have been bombproof until I was an idiot and ran them too low. I would rate these an A+ for the price and customer service and recommend them to anybody looking for a great set of wheels at a great price.

The only caveat, as with any carbon rim, don't run <20psi. Also make sure you don't over-torque the cassette into place if you run an XD driver, the endcaps protrude a lot and the freewheel tool does not make adequate overlap with the splines enough and you will strip them out, thus requiring a new cassette.

Re: Oxivecarbon experience - 29" 33mm carbon Asymmetric Whee

alexis110 said:
I took a leap of faith and ordered these for my 2015 Jet 9 Carbon. The set cost me ~$540 shipped with Powerway M32 hubs. The wheels shipped quickly (next day) and arrived super fast (within 8 days of order). They setup tubeless in less than 30 minutes with Stan's rim tape and sealant, Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in the rear, High Roller II 2.3 in the front. Now to my riding impressions.

These wheels are SUPER stiff, super light and very durable. I've thrown them onto the truing stand every two weeks for the past 2 months and no issues with spoke elongation or nipple settling. I crushed all my times up and down just about everywhere I ride, but I had to reduce my fork and shock pressure because the stiffness made the ride so harsh. I also tried reducing the tire pressure and this worked.. to a point.. which is my next point.

The rim bead cracked mid-ride when I hit a sharp rock in the middle of the trail, which means I was probably running them too low. I had never bottomed out at any pressure with these before, and the rock garden I was traversing I had been through many times, so I guess I was just unlucky this time. I immediately emailed customer support and sent them pictures of the impact, and they shipped me a brand new rim the next day! Their only advice: "This wheel is super light XC wheels, so please do not use them on poor road conditions. thanks for your support."

I bought these for mountain biking, and the mountains around here are a little bit rocky.. did I miss something when I bought these? I don't think so, because they have been bombproof until I was an idiot and ran them too low. I would rate these an A+ for the price and customer service and recommend them to anybody looking for a great set of wheels at a great price.

The only caveat, as with any carbon rim, don't run <20psi. Also make sure you don't over-torque the cassette into place if you run an XD driver, the endcaps protrude a lot and the freewheel tool does not make adequate overlap with the splines enough and you will strip them out, thus requiring a new cassette.
Carbon rims have upsides (especially lighter weight), but the main downside in that instead of a little dent from impact, you get a crack or even delam. IMO, for XC racing (or any racing if you get free wheels from a sponsor) carbon is the way to go. For all else AL is the way to go (price and durability being the biggest reasons).

It seems that those are very inexpensive for carbon.

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site

jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:

Carbon rims have upsides (especially lighter weight), but the main downside in that instead of a little dent from impact, you get a crack or even delam. IMO, for XC racing (or any racing if you get free wheels from a sponsor) carbon is the way to go. For all else AL is the way to go (price and durability being the biggest reasons).

have you try carbon before?

alexis110 said:
jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:

Yes.

jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:
jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:

Yes.
Are you sure?

:lol:

Irondan said:
jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:
jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:

Yes.
Are you sure?

:D Well, my mind is mushy now-a-days, but I'm pretty sure that the Enve and Bonti carbon rims I rode were carbon. Everyone I ride with has carbon rims except for me. Cracks and delam are the name of the $2000 game, the price to pay for lighter and stiffer. From what I've heard, the durability of the new Stan's SR is really good, and a friend got a pair for xams so I'll get to see (he had two Bonti delams + one crack).

Like I indicated, if I was still racing I would have carbon rims. I still get it on, but there is no clock so there is no reason for me to have carbon. To be clear though, I'm only saying that for me, others get to make their own decisions.

jmdirt said:
Irondan said:
jmdirt said:
alexis110 said:
jmdirt said:

Yes.
Are you sure?

:D Well, my mind is mushy now-a-days, but I'm pretty sure that the Enve and Bonti carbon rims I rode were carbon. Everyone I ride with has carbon rims except for me. Cracks and delam are the name of the $2000 game, the price to pay for lighter and stiffer. From what I've heard, the durability of the new Stan's SR is really good, and a friend got a pair for xams so I'll get to see (he had two Bonti delams + one crack).

Like I indicated, if I was still racing I would have carbon rims. I still get it on, but there is no clock so there is no reason for me to have carbon. To be clear though, I'm only saying that for me, others get to make their own decisions.
X2 on the mushy mind now-a-days... :)

I have a set of Vision carbons that have been basically bulletproof, although I don't ride as aggressive these days as I once had. They were expensive (to me) at $1500 when I bought them and I don't know what I'd do if they broke although I suppose that over time the chances of cracks and delam become much greater. For my own safety, I should probably retire them this year and buy another set but it's hard to shell out all that money when something works just fine.

Apr 8, 2018
Visit site
FTFKtBP.jpg

They are at least functional now. Still waiting on a different front rotor and the race tires I'm going to run. I'll probably get some riding on em next week. I think the next race is the week after

TRENDING THREADS