• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oxyglobin, does it work...HBOC thread

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
blood-oxyglobin.jpg

I'm thinking about one day, not now but later; getting a hold of some and trying it. Some have seen good gains with hemopure/oxyglobin.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Bad idea...

I have some experience using this product therapeutically in animals as a veterinarian. I can tell you right now that you'd be a fool to attempt it.

This is an ultrapurified bovine hemoglobin product that is carried within the plasma portion of the blood rather than within the cells. So you're right that you will increase your oxygen carrying capacity without increasing your hematocrit. It is used in small animal veterinary practice to treat patients with severe anemia.

There are significant drawbacks to use of this product:

First of all, it is quite expensive and difficult to obtain. The manufacturer has spent years and millions of dollars attempting to obtain FDA approval for use of the product in people and has nearly bankrupted itself in the process.

As far as "undetectable" status goes, once the product has been infused the plasma has a dark red to purple "hemolyzed" appearance.

Finally, every species reacts differently to the infusion. While it tends to be well tolerated in dogs, it can cause fatal pulmonary edema (fluid build-up within the lungs) in cats even at small doses.

You'd be far better off training at altitude, I can assure you of that!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
purduebadger said:
I have some experience using this product therapeutically in animals as a veterinarian. I can tell you right now that you'd be a fool to attempt it.

This is an ultrapurified bovine hemoglobin product that is carried within the plasma portion of the blood rather than within the cells. So you're right that you will increase your oxygen carrying capacity without increasing your hematocrit. It is used in small animal veterinary practice to treat patients with severe anemia.

There are significant drawbacks to use of this product:

First of all, it is quite expensive and difficult to obtain. The manufacturer has spent years and millions of dollars attempting to obtain FDA approval for use of the product in people and has nearly bankrupted itself in the process.

As far as "undetectable" status goes, once the product has been infused the plasma has a dark red to purple "hemolyzed" appearance.

Finally, every species reacts differently to the infusion. While it tends to be well tolerated in dogs, it can cause fatal pulmonary edema (fluid build-up within the lungs) in cats even at small doses.

You'd be far better off training at altitude, I can assure you of that!

tautolology no? :cool:

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
blood-oxyglobin.jpg

I'm thinking about one day, not now but later; getting a hold of some and trying it. Some have seen good gains with hemopure/oxyglobin.

I think you'd be insane to try something like that. But if you do, tell us what it did for you :D

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I hope your joking around about trying to get ahold of and use the product pictured above. I guess if you want to stomp that Wednesday night group ride then by all means....

There is a misconception that just taking some select PED's will shoot you right to the top from off the couch. The benefits are much greater for a trained super athlete and plus each substance may or may not work for an individual the same way that it works for someone else. DON'T DO IT BB!?

Cobblestones said:
I think you'd be insane to try something like that. But if you do, tell us what it did for you :D

He should tell us right before he uses it. If he stops posting then we can assume things did not work out so well. :D

I remember looking at a white paper on potential profitability for one of these products. I seem to remember the company's plan was to sell two versions of the product, one for veterinary use and one for human medical use. The human version was going to be substantially more expensive than the veterinary version. The paper gave estimates for potential market sizes and such.

TRENDING THREADS