• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pais Vasco Stage 5: Eibar - Zalla 177km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
But read what you said: "that's what happens when the team spirit is too good. Go Rabo!" That's a) baiting and b) it's unsuccesful baiting because it's nonsense.

Alright, maybe that's a small bait. But it does make sense. Lulu wanted Freire to win so badly, so he pushed him, but this cost Freire the win.
So: big team spirit, big lose.

What's nonsensical about that?

Havetts said:
Well, this is a shame. Oh well, atleast proves LLS got some teamspirit first by working yesterday on the climb and now leading out :p.
Perhaps it's not that he wasn't a team player? Maybe his DS's at Caisse explicitly asked him to not get in the way trying to "help"? I mean, he boxed Freire in and then got him DQ'ed with an absolutely stupid move. If I had a say at Rabo, I'd tell Lulu, pretty please don't help us anymore. Just- just mind your own business, k?

hrotha said:
Perhaps it's not that he wasn't a team player? Maybe his DS's at Caisse explicitly asked him to not get in the way trying to "help"? I mean, he boxed Freire in and then got him DQ'ed with an absolutely stupid move. If I had a say at Rabo, I'd tell Lulu, pretty please don't help us anymore. Just- just mind your own business, k?
Rabo have got themselves a second Graeme Brown :p

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Sheep said:
Feel mostly sorry for him, causing your team-mate a DSQ like that must suck.

Same here, by wanting your team to win so much really ironic.

And yes LLS has won my heart today and yesterday. :)

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Maar in plaats van de diskwalificatie terug te draaien, haalde de jury de manoeuvre van Oscar erbij, die met zijn hand ruimte maakte. Je moet immers beide handen in de sprint aan het stuur houden. Maar als je daarvoor iemand al diskwalificeert, dan kan dadelijk Robert Gesink nog voor ons een massasprint winnen."

"But instead of turning back the decision to disqualify, the jury added the manouevre of Oscar who made room with his. You should keep both hands on the steer of the bike during the sprint. But if you disqualify someone for that, then Robert Gesink could even win a mass sprint for us."
- Adrie van Houwelingen, DS :p.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Havetts said:
"But instead of turning back the decision to disqualify, the jury added the manouevre of Oscar who made room with his. You should keep both hands on the steer of the bike during the sprint. But if you disqualify someone for that, then Robert Gesink could even win a mass sprint for us."
- Adrie van Houwelingen, DS :p.

No sh*t! The seat sling is hard to ignore, even if it didn't seem to net the win. Bummer for Oscar who had to ride a bajillion hills to get to that finish.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
search said:
you must have missed the world championships coverage on the bbc, when the commentator suddenly detected close to the finish that there were "two martins" in the german team. "Paul Martin, and Tony Martin, the sprinter"

made my day

That's sad ánd hilarious. I'm torn. :)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
what an enormous load of SH!T :mad:- LuLe was on front of Oscarito and just pushed him to come forward when the sprint wasn't even started- WTF is wrong with the commissaires?

Not so unfair. The push can be considered an inelastic collision, so the speed gained by it isn't negligible. Before physics experts kill me, ok, ok, I know it isn't exactly an inelastic collision, but the dynamic friction in a bike is small, so the energy lost by that isn't high. This means something as small as a couple of km/h gained by the push, mantained by a very brief duration of 2-3 seconds is enough to give you quite an advantage (and those are both highly conservative numbers).

I wanted Freire to win. Rabobank did their job until the end. Hadn't Sánchez blocked Freire, he would have won by himself easily. Perhaps even without the push. But it isn't possible to say the push didn't help Freire, because it does help and not slightly in a contested sprint. And, again, even if one assume the push is useless; it is forbidden. Rules are rules.