• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paleo diet for cyclists

animal flesh and beer do wonders for athletic performance. Just look at the average westerner. 67% of em look like this or heading that way. I cant afford not to feel great each day. Lifes too short.

fat-shirtless-guy-eating-cheeseburger-23.jpg

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
animal flesh and beer do wonders for athletic performance. Just look at the average westerner. 67% of em look like this or heading that way. I cant afford not to feel great each day. Lifes too short.

fat-shirtless-guy-eating-cheeseburger-23.jpg

Consider that this guy never really exercises though. Blaming the diet for his excess fat and weakness of body is not correct.

I've lived off of meat, cheese, and beer for 30 years and I'm in great shape. Because of my diet, no of course not. From the fact that I ride bikes and ski big mountains. The only dietary rule I follow is this: eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full.

Think about the converse, if you ate bushels of fruit all day and did no training you'd be looking a bit bloated too I bet.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Well cavemen were well known for their cycling prowess... :D

Steaks are too dodgy at the moment, being contaminated 'n all.

And alcohol is a poison.

So why consume either?

Maybe durianrider is onto something!

Ive put out a 10k$AUD reward for someone that can prove to me you can get fat from eating fruit in excess. The CN mod's wont allow me to put a link up but if you google it, you will find the offer.

Fat on fruit? NO WAY!

Fat from fat? Just look down or look around.

The cheeseburger in this man's hands represents a 40% of its calories coming from fat. If you put this dude on a low fat, high carb plant strong lifestyle, he would melt the body blubber and there would be no beached whale comments.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Yes, too much fruit can cause weight gain. Too much intake of any food can cause weight gain-although some foods are much better to eat in excess than other foods.
Weight gain occurs when a person consumes more calories than he or she expends. Therefore, let's say, hypothetically, that based upon your individual energy needs, you need to consume 2,000 calories to maintain your weight. If, in addition to your regular 2,000 calories, you ate 500 additional calories worth of fruit each day, in one week you would gain one pound. (One pound is roughly equal to 3,500 calories of excess energy stored up in the form of body fat.)
Eating too much of anything will cause weight gain or prevent weight loss. Fruits and vegetables, which are higher in water and fiber and lower in calories than other foods, are less likely to cause weight gain or prevent weight loss, as you would have to eat much larger portions to consume too many calories. However, fruit has almost three times the calories per serving as nonstarchy vegetables, so it is easier to consume too many fruit calories, which can interfere with weight loss. I frequently see patients who think of fruit as a "free food" and are unknowingly consuming up to 250 extra calories a day, which could prevent them from losing one pound of fat every two weeks!

When can I expect my check?:D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Check? You earned nothing!

You gotta get obese first. You gotta eat nothing but fresh fruit. And you gotta prove it.

No cheating on your animals.

Could last even 30 days on fruit? Try it :)

Good luck!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
lostintime said:
Check? You earned nothing!

You gotta get obese first. You gotta eat nothing but fresh fruit. And you gotta prove it.

No cheating on your animals.

Could last even 30 days on fruit? Try it :)

Good luck!

I couldn't last two days on just fruit.:D But it is basic to any weight loss/gain program that to lose you need take in less calories than you expend and to gain you need to take in more calories than you expend. You body does not discriminate as to the source only how it is processed.
If you consume 4000 calories of fruit a day and only expend 3000 calories of energy a day you will gain weight.
I could lose weight eating 6 Mc Donalds cheeseburgers a day. It wouldn't be healthy but it would be 1800 calories a day.

Anyone know the exchange rate for AUDollars to MXPesos?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
Ive put out a 10k$AUD reward for someone that can prove to me you can get fat from eating fruit in excess. The CN mod's wont allow me to put a link up but if you google it, you will find the offer.

Fat on fruit? NO WAY!

Fat from fat? Just look down or look around.

The cheeseburger in this man's hands represents a 40% of its calories coming from fat. If you put this dude on a low fat, high carb plant strong lifestyle, he would melt the body blubber and there would be no beached whale comments.

You're conflating several different variables. I would not get fat from eating fruit because I exercise too much and I don't gorge myself. The only difference is I'd just have really bad gas and have to eat all day. One nice thing about my high fat diet is I don't have eat much or often. After my egg and cheese breakfast I don't really have to eat much again for at least 6 or 7 hours. When I've tried high carb diets I just get hungry again and eat more. I would also suggest that the reason you see fat lazy people who eat a lot of fatty food rather than fat lazy people who eat fruit all day is that most people find bacon, cheesburgers, and cake more pleasureable to eat then three pounds of blueberries (although I love my blueberries personally).

If that guy in the pic took in the same calories from eating fruit instead of burgers he'd just stay the same. Bio 101, as Krebs pointed out.

How about my reverse challenge: you stop exercising and eat the exact same fruit diet and we'll see what happens.

You will lose weight on just about any highly restrictive diet, simply because you'll get tired of eating the same thing. Hence, you can probably lose weight on an all-chocolate diet, or an all-pork diet. They key is that of course fruit is way more healthy for you.

As I posted on the vegetarian page, Leipheimer used to be on some whole food paleo-like restrictive diet. Though I think he may be vegan at this point. Anyone know?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
slcbiker said:
I don't think beer is allowed on the paleo diet...too many carbs:(

Unless of course you drink Michelob Ultra like Lance:)

Alcohol metabolism in humans has an origin deeply rooted in the ancient vertebrate tree of life, predating modern humans by tens of millions of years. It has been selected for though the generations by providing an advantage, such as the ability of ancient primates to eat rotting fruit.

So maybe substitute wine or hard cider for beer in the peleo diet or something.