• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pantani 99 vs Armstrong 99

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Gregga said:
Dr.ugs said:
Re- watched the Accidental death of a cyclist. Rip Marco Pantani and lol at Wiggins.
Any way, they show the files of his blood values when he was thrown out of the Giro 99 and I thought it was funny that his HTC wasn't above 50%, if I'm reading it correct. Am I reading it correct or are the files not from the negative test.
I took pictures of them and thought I'd post them in this thread as I don't find a Pantani thread. Good bit of discussion leading up to the alpes eh?

"Accidental death of a cyclist" is a joke, the reference re Pantani is Rendell's book.
The values on your pictures (HCT47.5, HGB 16.5) are from the "control" done by Marco's team in Imola the evening after he was ejected from the Giro at MdC... probably after an hemodilution. As Rendell noticed, theres no identicable doctor signature on the certificate nor official stamp.

Still from Rendell's book here are the values of Marco's sample :
HCT : 52.5%
HB : 17.1 g/dL

Rendell talked with blood doping experts who said the RDW (red cells distribution width) of 17.4 coupled with very low EPO blood levels could mean use of transfusions during the Giro. My take is Marco was testing blood bags in the '99 Giro, maybe to avoid bringing EPO in France in July and replace it with a very well timed blood infusion in a safe place, why not.... Sestriere ? There was also this image on twitter of Marco with an giant needle bruise on his arm in Giro 99.
Pantani never intended to defend his Tour de France title in 1999!

He probably would've ridden the Vuelta to complete his grand tour palmares.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
Gregga said:
Dr.ugs said:
Re- watched the Accidental death of a cyclist. Rip Marco Pantani and lol at Wiggins.
Any way, they show the files of his blood values when he was thrown out of the Giro 99 and I thought it was funny that his HTC wasn't above 50%, if I'm reading it correct. Am I reading it correct or are the files not from the negative test.
I took pictures of them and thought I'd post them in this thread as I don't find a Pantani thread. Good bit of discussion leading up to the alpes eh?

"Accidental death of a cyclist" is a joke, the reference re Pantani is Rendell's book.
The values on your pictures (HCT47.5, HGB 16.5) are from the "control" done by Marco's team in Imola the evening after he was ejected from the Giro at MdC... probably after an hemodilution. As Rendell noticed, theres no identicable doctor signature on the certificate nor official stamp.

Still from Rendell's book here are the values of Marco's sample :
HCT : 52.5%
HB : 17.1 g/dL

Rendell talked with blood doping experts who said the RDW (red cells distribution width) of 17.4 coupled with very low EPO blood levels could mean use of transfusions during the Giro. My take is Marco was testing blood bags in the '99 Giro, maybe to avoid bringing EPO in France in July and replace it with a very well timed blood infusion in a safe place, why not.... Sestriere ? There was also this image on twitter of Marco with an giant needle bruise on his arm in Giro 99.
Pantani never intended to defend his Tour de France title in 1999!

He probably would've ridden the Vuelta to complete his grand tour palmares.

so is it true, pantani wasnt to ride le tour in 1999?
pantani in 99 shape would have beat armstrong in every giro. but not in the 99/2000 tours,to few MTF. but in 2001 of course pantani (lots possibilities: ADH,chamrousse,ax3,pla dadet,luz ardiden)

why is it always promising italians (pantani,basso,ricco) getting cut off their careers? aru next

It's what one can read in the archive section here on cyclingnews. Apparently he gave an interview after Montecampione where he stated he wouldn't ride the Tour except he's pressured to by the Mercatone Uno company.

Imagine Ullrich getting a flashback-punch by Pantani on a rainy Angliru. ^^

I don't know. For me the question is more why Nibali is totally untainted so far. Hope you're wrong with Aru, though.

Ricco , all his idiotism beside, probably would be riding succesful with Katusha for years now, if Saunier Duval never had pressured him to do the Tour before selling him to Tinkoff / Katusha. ( Probably with the aim to get a bigger check for him as a polka dot / yellow jersey winner)