• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2017, 5th-12th March

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
Henao isn't a threat at all... he doesn't do good time trials, he isn't a pure climber that can gain time in the high mountains (stage 7), so the only chance for him is winning bonus seconds (stage 6 comes to my mind). He can't drop contador or porte because this is not pais vasco's muritos
Henao is pretty good in hilly ITTs and this one has a climb at the end, he isn't the main favourite, but he could finish on the podium.

Re:

dlwssonic said:
With the TT this should be pretty easy for Porte
i'm erring toward porte, but not that confident that it will be easy.
i'm just worried that neither porte or contador quite have the jump to drop the other, and they just follow each other around all week.

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Alexandre B. said:
Valverde out with sickness
https://twitter.com/alejanvalverde/status/837647861248634880

De la Parte replaces him.
Sucks. Absolutely blows. Oh well, go Henao!

Might mean he will be fresher for the later targets such as the Vuelta and Lombardia.

Vuelta and Lombardia.... You know when those races will be ridden right? ;)

Not the exact dates, no, but Im pretty sure its in the fall!

I think the point you are making is he will be exhausted at that point and I see it, but no Giro and no TdF leadership etc. could lead to him being better than usual. I don't believe for one second he can win the worlds on that course, tho.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Alexandre B. said:
Valverde out with sickness
https://twitter.com/alejanvalverde/status/837647861248634880

De la Parte replaces him.
Sucks. Absolutely blows. Oh well, go Henao!

Might mean he will be fresher for the later targets such as the Vuelta and Lombardia.

Vuelta and Lombardia.... You know when those races will be ridden right? ;)

Not the exact dates, no, but Im pretty sure its in the fall!

I think the point you are making is he will be exhausted at that point and I see it, but no Giro and no TdF leadership etc. could lead to him being better than usual. I don't believe for one second he can win the worlds on that course, tho.

I only found it quite funny to already talk about a possible connection between not riding a stage race in March and being fresher for some races in September. ;)

But i agree he should be fresher now in la Vuelta and Lombardia then he was in the past seasons. If he's able to reach 2013/2014 shape, he's got a big chance to win (mainly Lombardia, i don't think he will actually win a GT anymore). However, i think that with his original schedule (so Paris-Nice and Catalunya), he would have been fine too for the spring-races.

Romain Bardet said he feels ready in the recent interview (seriously, he rivals the Sky-debacle at this point in terms of coverage.. almost) and the usual stuff. Mentions the new TT bike he has helped design.

I found this passage interesting considered the debates we've had whether it was the right preparation to go to Abu Dhabi for Contador: “It’s a shame, the race could be more difficult, I guess,” he said. “You just have one climb, less than 30 minutes full gas – it’s not really enough.

“So it was important to train around it and do some big efforts to sharpen my top-end condition. I’m happy with the work we’ve done here. It’s given me a good base and I can’t wait to get back to Europe for the serious stuff.”

The ceiling for him in this race is top-5 IMO. I can't see him move any further up.