• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Nice 2020, March 8 - March 15

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nairo 2 minutes faster than Yates in 2018.

And that was an on form Yates who almost won the Giro and went on to win the Vuelta. Had Quintana not crashed I think he would have had this race.

Anyways, it was an entertaining race and an entertaining final stage, despite all odds.

2BUDtOe.jpg

And all the sh** on here about how Huigta would blow everyone away on the climbs :rolleyes:

usual bandwagon jumping
Well, he helped Schachmann keep his jersey. I have no idea why he was chasing after Benoot, as he would never have been able to catch and drop Benoot for 30s with 1k to go (to gain a spot in GC). So instead of letting Schachmann do the work, he helped Schachmann keep Benoot withing range.

As for him blowing people away on the climb... Higuita, imho, isn't the best climber like people assume he is (because he's tiny and Colombian). He isn't like Bernal or Quintana, he's a "very good" climber but not top tier. He has other weapons though. His ITT isn't the worst and he's also more of a puncher with a good finish from what i can make of it.

Way too many journalists and photographers at the finish line, it's just reckless!

Never heard something so weird
There are far more people in the pubs in Belfast and Dublin
More people in restaurants in Berlin & Edinburgh
Far more people on the buses in London and on the trains in France

Where is your call to stop all trade and commerce and social gatherings ?

I believe cycling did not need to be stopped if managed properly
No spectators and all staff tested ..its out door
and agree with UK that mass gathering if people managed/separated not the biggest threat

The truth is we will all get the virus sooner or later
We need to delay to up the health service capacity or even it out
But we are not going to stop the virus ...only a vaccine can do this
And we wont have one for a year at least
And even with antibodies there is no guarantee we wont get reinfected when lockdowns are lifted

Lockdowns are needed to help manage health care and slow the virus but it will not stop it ..An alternative would be to improve healthcare

So in the meantime we get a social and financial meltdown ?

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Well, he helped Schachmann keep his jersey. I have no idea why he was chasing after Benoot, as he would never have been able to catch and drop Benoot for 30s with 1k to go (to gain a spot in GC). So instead of letting Schachmann do the work, he helped Schachmann keep Benoot withing range.

As for him blowing people away on the climb... Higuita, imho, isn't the best climber like people assume he is (because he's tiny and Colombian). He isn't like Bernal or Quintana, he's a "very good" climber but not top tier. He has other weapons though. His ITT isn't the worst and he's also more of a puncher with a good finish from what i can make of it.

Exactly. He's a Valverde who fits in your pocket.

Really nice race, though I would have expected a little more in the end from some of the climbers (well, not Quintana), but I guess the last week was really exhausting.
Alaphilippe tried something every day, great to watch, even if it came to nothing.
I would not have expected Benoot to be that strong. It would be exciting to see if he was peaking for this time of year of if he can hold it, but now I can only say goodbye to cycling for a while. Hope everything's gonna be "alright" soon!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Nairo Quintana was the undisputed best rider of the 2020 season.

um... i think remco might have an equal claim at the very least.

It's a pity that the GC was decided by a crash in a transitional stage and by a dubious jury decision.

nope, that was decided when DQ did not add remco to their roster. remco would have taken 30 seconds from Schachmann on the ITT and would have absolutely crushed a long power MTF at 6.5%.

not that i am biased or anything. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Campenaerts cheering for De Gendt

View: https://twitter.com/NTTProCycling/status/1238817579147431938

Good and fast performance by Nairo:

La Colmiane
2020:16,3 km@6,2%---38:51---average speed 25.17 km/h(Nairo Quintana)
2018:16,3 km@6,2%---40:45---average speed 24.00 km/h(Simon Yates)

http://www.climbing-records.com/2020/03/quintana-almost-as-fast-as-covid-19-in.html
So basically the top guys today were all faster.

The main takeaway for me is Quintana put 45s+ into everybody while in 2018 Yates won by 8 seconds and had the #12 finish within a minute.

That's in 4km of climbing under 7%. Everyone's faster cause it wasn't horrendous weather like in 2018, but Quintana is far and away the best climber of February/March.

The main takeaway for me is Quintana put 45s+ into everybody while in 2018 Yates won by 8 seconds and had the #12 finish within a minute.
In 2018, Teuns came second. In 2020, Benoot came second. Neither of them are considered top climbers. There was a lack of top tier climbers (in good form) in both cases. It's too bad we might never know how this year's Quintana compares in the GT's, but unless you are considering Vlasov, Lutsenko and Benoot as his real competitors, i'm not sure we should draw too many conclusions. Being the best climber of February/March doesn't mean a whole lot when push comes to shove.

But it does seem Quintana is rejuvenated. If they àre riding TDF, he could be an extra ingredient neither TJV or Ineos had taken into account.

In 2018, Teuns came second. In 2020, Benoot came second. Neither of them are considered top climbers. There was a lack of top tier climbers (in good form) in both cases. It's too bad we might never know how this year's Quintana compares in the GT's, but unless you are considering Vlasov, Lutsenko and Benoot as his real competitors, i'm not sure we should draw too many conclusions. Being the best climber of February/March doesn't mean a whole lot when push comes to shove.

But it does seem Quintana is rejuvenated. If they àre riding TDF, he could be an extra ingredient neither TJV or Ineos had taken into account.
It's the margins he wins by, and the climbing times he does it with.

Reactions: Rollthedice
Like i said, that margin was not on other top tier climbers, so you can't really compare. If the weather was completely different, you can't compare climbing times either.
3 races. 3 wins by massive margins. 3 super fast climbing times.

But yeah Quitnana broke Pantani's record on Chalet Reynard cause Teuns is a bang average climber

TRENDING THREADS