• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris- Nice Stage 5: Pernes-les-Fontaines - Aix-en-Provence - 157 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
Don't know if he's a charger, but I do think that his underperforming is a result of his three falls in the past days rather than anything else.

Falls in his hematocrit level?

:p:p:p

Whatever. Shouldn't discuss this here anyway.

Let it be said that the Hoogerland who has been active this season is a far cry from the Hoogerland who cycled like a madman in the Vuelta & Lombardy. Bad form perhaps.... But I have my suspicions dating back to last year. That's all.

Contandor on Sagan

BikeCentric said:
What a nice move by Sagan - a nasty all-out attack on the climb to get away and then beautifull 3Km time trial to stick it.

And now Contador sees Sagan as the major threat for the future (not LA apparently):

http://www.letour.fr/2010/PNC/LIVE/us/500/journal_etape.html
AC says:
“It was a terrible stage. We tried to control the breaks for100 kms but it’s impossible for one team to control a race like Paris-Nice. Sagan is a very strong rider and I’m sure he will very quickly be a rival to watch in future races. Tomorrow is another hard stage with 220 kms. I may be the one in the yellow jersey but I’m not the only one who can do something tomorrow.”

Moondance said:
Falls in his hematocrit level?

:p:p:p

Whatever. Shouldn't discuss this here anyway.

Let it be said that the Hoogerland who has been active this season is a far cry from the Hoogerland who cycled like a madman in the Vuelta & Lombardy. Bad form perhaps.... But I have my suspicions dating back to last year. That's all.

Then you have watched with closed eyes in the first 2 months.

25/02/2010
Vuelta a Andalucia / Ruta Del Sol
21 14/02/2010
Tour Méditerranéen
58 7/02/2010
Etoile de Bessèges
12 31/01/2010
GP d'Ouverture La Marseillaise
How the hell is that a far cry from the Hoogerland last year?
Ok he has a bad Paris Nice, but he has been good everywhere else, including following an attack by Gesink and Valverde on the Faron...

Critic ok, but critic which makes no sense at all, please back it up first. 1 bad Paris Nice doesn't make his start of the season bad.

Awful day for Team Radio Slack.
Top Boy is a Frenchie: 32.LEQUATRE Geoffroy 104 TEAM RADIOSHACK + 00' 25"
I actually picked Popovych to take the stage, on another forum. He came in 150th!:eek:
I can only find 6 of the team finishing and Chris Horner beat Bottle.

Worse news of all?

STAGE TEAM STANDING

Result after stage 5

Total distance covered: 157 km

Standing Team Time Gaps
1. LIQUIGAS-DOIMO 10h 43' 12"
2. QUICK STEP CYCLING TEAM 10h 43' 14" + 00' 02"
3. TEAM SAXO BANK 10h 43' 14" + 00' 02"
11. ASTANA 10h 44' 19" + 01' 07"

14. TEAM RADIOSHACK 10h 45' 33" + 02' 21" :D

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Then you have watched with closed eyes in the first 2 months.

How the hell is that a far cry from the Hoogerland last year?
Ok he has a bad Paris Nice, but he has been good everywhere else, including following an attack by Gesink and Valverde on the Faron...

Critic ok, but critic which makes no sense at all, please back it up first. 1 bad Paris Nice doesn't make his start of the season bad.

He certainly hasn't had a bad season start, never said that. But he's not like he was last September-October... That's all I said.

Mellow Velo said:
I actually picked Popovych to take the stage, on another forum. He came in 150th!:eek:

Worse news of all?

STAGE TEAM STANDING

Result after stage 5

Standing Team Time Gaps

Oh noes!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Moondance said:
He certainly hasn't had a bad season start, never said that. But he's not like he was last September-October... That's all I said.
If that's all you said, you were completely wrong. He was almost on par with Valverde in the Tour Mediterraneen, following his acceleration uphill. Don't see how that's worse than last year. If anyone's suspect in today's result, it's not Hoogerland, but a certain talent who's turning out to be a bit too good for my liking.

theyoungest said:
If that's all you said, you were completely wrong. He was almost on par with Valverde in the Tour Mediterraneen, following his acceleration uphill. Don't see how that's worse than last year. If anyone's suspect in today's result, it's not Hoogerland, but a certain talent who's turning out to be a bit too good for my liking.
Yup, exactly my thoughts

theyoungest said:

Sagan or AC?

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Result after stage 5
Standing Team Time Gaps

Who is in the team car? That could explain it.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Bold Section:
facepalm.jpg

The kid one two stages in a stage race why can't he just be a great talent.

Mellow Velo said:

Worse news of all?

STAGE TEAM STANDING

Result after stage 5

Standing Team Time Gaps

Bottle lost another 2'34" to AC after not even making the split to the front group. How pathetic is that? From the results it looks like he was actually in a 3rd or 4th group.

For those of you who think I'm being too harsh, I don't see how it's too much to ask to expect the team leader for one of the most prestigous one-week stage races in the world who rides for a team whose stated aim is to win the TDF to at least get his a$$ in the front group on a rolling stage.

And what's even more annoying is that this guy is the best my country has to offer pro cycling right now! :mad: