• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix Femmes, 2021 - Oct. 2nd

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In terms of pure endurance there seems little (if any) difference between men and women though, so I don't see why women's races aren't longer (that they are slower than the men and would take longer to finish isn't a strong argument imo; you don't necessarily have to televise it all).
What is meant here by "pure" endurance?

17 y.o. boys run marathons faster than women. There's a stark athletic difference between men and women in pretty much all dimensions.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What is meant here by "pure" endurance?

17 y.o. boys run marathons faster than women. There's a stark athletic difference between men and women in pretty much all dimensions.
It appears you are hot familiar with ultra-endurance running events, because that isn't correct the longer things go. Once you get over 100 miles, things start to come back togther.

It appears you are hot familiar with ultra-endurance running events, because that isn't correct the longer things go. Once you get over 100 miles, things start to come back togther.

Possibly even more so in the truly extreme events like 200+ mile ultras, although it's difficult to draw any conclusions because so few people, let alone elite athletes, are crazy enough to enter.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ultra endurance swimming is even better for women because technique matters more and fit women normally have a higher body fat percentage, that makes them less vulnerable to the cold in open waters.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

For ultramarathons (24h):

The world records for the event on all surfaces are 262.19 km (162.919 miles) for women, set by Camille Herron of USA in 2018,[2] and 309.399 km (191.879 miles) for men, set by Aleksandr Sorokin of Lithuania in 2021.[3]

Possibly even more so in the truly extreme events like 200+ mile ultras, although it's difficult to draw any conclusions because so few people, let alone elite athletes, are crazy enough to enter.
Ultra-endurance is a bigger thing where I live. Western States is run partially in my county, and I run with a lot of women who run 50K and above, and they are all so incredibly strong. Sure, men are faster in general, but the gap closes the longer things go, and women can handle a longer cycling race. Outdated thinking is the only reason this doesn't happen in cycling, but I see some things changing. The women I ride and run with are all extremely tough athletes. To suggest they're too fargile to handle a longer race over cobbles or even longer races in general, ignores the reality that there will be elite athletes who line up to race any distance you give them...but they can't do that if you don't give them the opportunity. Gravel racing right now, seems to be the only avenue for that, but I hope to see road races change as well.