• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Boonen, Hushovd, Pozzato are sort of obvious choices.

Slightly less obvious: Gilbert, Chavanel, Leukemans, Haussler...

Why won't Cancellara take it again? Because he wants to concentrate on hillier races?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
No one speaks of Leif Hoste anymore?? Is he a Has Been or more to the point a Never Was?

Katusha is stronger this year, and I'm not that so sure about Pozzato winning it, so...
Anyone considered Paolini actually?

[edit] And I wonder who the wildcards will be this year.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Boonen, especially now he has Gert Steegmans back. Boonen, Steegmans, Terpstra and Chavanel is a pretty damn good quartet for the classics. And a Boonen Hushovd sprint would be awesome, if Tomke wins at least :p

A

Anonymous

Cancellara.

Trek wants a monument badly. Barring health problems, he will be firing at Flanders and Roubaix.

Boonen will be there. Hushovd too.

I still say watch out for Haussler. While everyone is paying attention to Hushovd, Heinrich may be able to roll away a la Devolder. I really see him doing something in either Flanders or Roubaix... and let's face it, Garmin - Cervelo have a scary good classics team.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Cancellara.

Trek wants a monument badly. Barring health problems, he will be firing at Flanders and Roubaix.

Boonen will be there. Hushovd too.

I still say watch out for Haussler. While everyone is paying attention to Hushovd Heinrich may be able to roll away a la Devolder. I really see him doing something in either Flanders or Roubaix... and let's face it, Garmin - Cervelo have a scary good classics team.

Honestly, I'd fear Haussler more than Hushovd in Flanders. He's faster, he's got more punch on those hills. He doesn't need to get away a la devolder, he can win in a sprint against anybody

A

Anonymous

Michielveedeebee said:
Honestly, I'd fear Haussler more than Hushovd in Flanders. He's faster, he's got more punch on those hills. He doesn't need to get away a la devolder, he can win in a sprint against anybody

I agree. I really think Haussler can do serious damage in both races (if he's healthy).

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I agree. I really think Haussler can do serious damage in both races (if he's healthy).

I like him and he's got some decent results. But Vlaanderen o' Roubaix are so long and hard I don't know yet for H.H

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Someone else please..
Haussler, Breschel, Langeveld, Burghardt...

Just not Boonen/Canc and a trailing Pozzato again.
Unless Boonen wins, that would be awesome.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Tom should win because he has his own line of processed meats:

miyvs.jpg

Although, Leif Hoste sounds like some sort of BBQ sauce.

A

Anonymous

My moneys on Boonen this year, but id really like to see if Geraint Thomas can follow up on his decent showing in the tour stage with a top 10 in this years race. Sky should be stronger this year with eddy boss and arvesen both hopefully fit and possibly hunt in the squad.

Be interesting as well to see if BMC give Phinney a taste of the race.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
is it just me who thinks canc is way too much hyped cus of his performances last year? i mean some people even rate him above tomeke now. well imo tom still is the best cobbles rider around. . . .

This deserves a poll in itself alone!!

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
is it just me who thinks canc is way too much hyped cus of his performances last year? i mean some people even rate him above tomeke now. well imo tom still is the best cobbles rider around. . . .

That certainly is part of it - but I also think that Tom seems to be fading a bit recently (at least with no big wins in 2010), whereas Fabian certainly seemed to put himself in the spotlight far more last season. Remember - no one remembers who came second, and Tom only managed 2nd in Flanders and 5th in Roubaix last year.

A

Anonymous

Parrulo said:

Let's just say that even the real Flandrian Tom Boonen supporters were calling Cancellara unbeatable.

Boonen's great but, on form, if anywhere near the finale Cancellara gets more than a few meters separation from Boonen... well, Tomeke will not see him again until the showers.

I think Cancellara has that part figured out. He did it at Flanders and at P-R.

TRENDING THREADS