• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Parker 'removed from competition'

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dale-parker-stood-down-after-drink-driving-incident

Apparently poor judgement and stupidity can get you banned for bringing "cycling into disrepute"... I guess the some of the heads of cycling don't count doping as disreputable.

If cycling bodies CAN hammer cyclists for out-of-cycling behaviour, SHOULD they be able to?

Yes they can do that when you join a UCI club they make you sign your rights away.

He has been charged not convicted so I dont beleive Cycling Australia are doing the right thing untill a court convicts him at least inocent untill proven guilty. Natural Justice has to prevail
if he wins his case in a court then Cycling Australia would have egg on their face and heaps of compo to pay out.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Yes they can do that when you join a UCI club they make you sign your rights away.

He has been charged not convicted so I dont beleive Cycling Australia are doing the right thing untill a court convicts him at least inocent untill proven guilty. Natural Justice has to prevail
if he wins his case in a court then Cycling Australia would have egg on their face and heaps of compo to pay out.

I understand the CAN part of the question. My point's the SHOULD part.

It's nice that the governing bodies care so much about the 'image' of the sport in terms of extra-cycling behaviour. I'd appreciate the iron-fist approach a bit more if they actually treated in-house cheaters in kind.

I think press disclosures touting how much they 'care about the image of the sport' are not founded when they have ALL been complicit in shoving AAFs and outright positives under the carpet to 'save the image of cycling'.

Seems like another straw on the camel's back of perceived clean sport. I can imagine the head of the federation, beating his chest at the pulpit of public opinion, hollering 'See how much we care! Look how serious we are!'.

What a joke. Do your job.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Take a chill pill. There's a difference between what a national body should do with a rider who gets taxpayer funding to support his sporting ambitions and a professional on a trade team. He's stuffed up, he will get a short suspension (to reflect that he should think before drinking and driving, but also allowing for his being an 18y.o. and doing what 18y.o.'s do) and be back on the CA team for the worlds next year.

And while it may not be the case elsewhere, in Australia, sporting bodies, and individuals who receive taxpayer funding are expected to meet certain community standards. Professionals and sports which don't receive taxpayer funding, are not under the same requirements, so if Stuart O'Grady or some other professional Aussie was busted for drink driving, there would be a day of bad press, but no suspension.

The Australian media/public is well known for bashing any sportsperson or notable figure if they fall out of line. Cycling SA probably wanted to strike first, to project the image that it's all under control. Not that I think anyone would even know, Parker is hardly a known figure, and there would never have been a news story if he didn't get one fifth of a gold medal last month. It probably wouldn't have happened in most other countries, but that's just how things work here.

I hope the kid is OK (for his and Parker's sake).

May 27, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
Take a chill pill. There's a difference between what a national body should do with a rider who gets taxpayer funding to support his sporting ambitions and a professional on a trade team. He's stuffed up, he will get a short suspension (to reflect that he should think before drinking and driving, but also allowing for his being an 18y.o. and doing what 18y.o.'s do) and be back on the CA team for the worlds next year.

And while it may not be the case elsewhere, in Australia, sporting bodies, and individuals who receive taxpayer funding are expected to meet certain community standards. Professionals and sports which don't receive taxpayer funding, are not under the same requirements, so if Stuart O'Grady or some other professional Aussie was busted for drink driving, there would be a day of bad press, but no suspension.

I disagree with the bolded part. There is absolutely no excuse for what he did. Saying he's 18 and its what 18y.o. do is a complete cop out.

It was stupid and irresponsible and reckless and should not have happened. Period. It shouldn't matter if he's 18 or 25 or 36 or 58 the punishment should be the same. I understand it was a mistake but it was an avoidable mistake, he didn't have to drink as much as he did and he shouldn't have been driving, he needs to be punished for his mistake but he also deserves a second chance.

I wish the kid in hospital all the best though.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I concur with Brianf7:

"He has been charged not convicted... Natural Justice has to prevail"!

Please note: I am suggesting that the relevant sporting body allow the case to be heard before taking any punitive action.

As an interim measure the sporting body could say "We are concerned for the welfare of both the injured and the athlete. We hope the pedestrian makes a full recovery and we will be discussing the matter with the athlete and arranging appropriate counselling and facilitating appropriate referrals".

Yes double standards stink! An extra curricular activity has more relevance than doping within the sport! Yes drink driving is to be deplored. However criminal penalties, if any are applied, should be sufficient. The sporting body should, if they are serious, be considering prevention/education in preference to knee jerk, appearance saving, off the cuff reactive penalties.

J

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
as I read this he has been removed from the South Australia acadamey sponsorship programe for now but I dont beleive they will stop him racing .

Basacaly there are no races untill January anyway.and it will be sorted by then.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Does Oz hold their politicians to such high standards, or is the hammer in hand only for National Team members?

The Politicians or Government are sponsoring him through a scholarship that is what the fuss is about. Our Taxes at work.

as though the Government dont make mistakes

brianf7 said:
The Politicians or Government are sponsoring him through a scholarship that is what the fuss is about. Our Taxes at work.

as though the Government dont make mistakes

Yeh the 100k or whatever expenditure which has helped Parker's career thus far is a huge blunder for a state funded agency, but spending 6mil on his highness isn't for the government.