• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I love the not-so-subtle dig at Kimmage and Walsh...

These days, it annoys me that where once we were known as a country that could produce successful cyclists, now we are known as a country that can produce successful journalists who make a nice living from bringing our sport down.

Not only that, but it's also quite the slight against Dan Martin et al as well.

How to **** everyone off with one simple statement... :eek:

I was deeply saddened that this is where cycling has arrived. Cycling has in the past 10 years, without any doubt, done more in the fight against doping than any other sport. And Pat has been at the helm throughout that time.

Also - is he drunk? 10 years puts me at 2003... :confused:

He has not done a perfect job, and has his faults. Don’t we all.

Is this the winner of the "Understatement Of The Year Award"?

Personally, if I was him I would throw the keys of the office back to Cookson or even Makarov, both of whom come to the table with huge connections with two ProTour teams, which Pat never had.

Except for, you know, some 'interesting' meetings with USPS...

Have a look at the mess Russian oligarchs have made in soccer, and start to imagine what will be done in cycling. And if that does happen what influence will Cillian Kelly, Conor McGrane or Anto Moran be able to bring bear on the matter? Absolutely none.

To this point, I certainly have my obvious reservations of Makarov, but whether he would ever get to being a credible candidate would be an interesting discussion... @IrishPeleton, Conor McGrane and Anto Moran should be applauded for what they've done in Ireland. Chapeau!

While we have an Irish UCI president, at least there is someone there that we could talk to. Maybe, lads, you need to sign up at your local college for Russian language lessons.

Jingoistic much? Far out, this is almost bordering on flat-out racism...

The McQuaids are disturbing all round, really.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Its disappointing to read him have a go at the clubs who exorcised their democratic right to choose to vote "No"
They have been at the heart of leagues in Dublin for years. Chain Gang are a leisure club and dont run races just leisure events. St Tiernans have a race on the Calendar for this year and DUCC are relatively new.

As a colleague said he is raw after the vote at the weekend so its understandable but they must accept Irish cycling owes them nothing!

Sunday is the last day for nominations I pray somebody else comes forward.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Pat went to South Africa to race when it was a sanctionable offence. He's banned for life from the Olympics. He should never have held office.

The IOC has some questions to answer appointing McQuaid to their committees after him receiving a lifetime ban.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
These days, it annoys me that where once we were known as a country that could produce successful cyclists, now we are known as a country that can produce successful journalists who make a nice living from bringing our sport down.
I was deeply saddened that this is where cycling has arrived. Cycling has in the past 10 years, without any doubt, done more in the fight against doping than any other sport. And Pat has been at the helm throughout that time.

I wonder how long has he been living under a rock? :rolleyes:
He really does make himself come across as an old man that doesn't want things to change. Does he expect anyone to take anything he says seriously when he comes across like this?

It takes a man with a big heart, plenty of vision and a big pair of shoulders to take on the job of UCI president.
And McQuaid is about as far from that man as you can get.

Benotti69 said:
What a despicable and mean spirited bunch the McQuaids are. Boy they are not happy that there little show is about to end.

Pat is what you he is. But his brother, i think that's just a knee jerk defense from a close blood relative who is unwilling to accept his brother's fault.
I fear that the show will not end because Swiss will endorse him making all the effort put by the Irish go to waste.:mad:

IndianCyclist said:
Pat is what you he is. But his brother, i think that's just a knee jerk defense from a close blood relative who is unwilling to accept his brother's fault.
I fear that the show will not end because Swiss will endorse him making all the effort put by the Irish go to waste.:mad:

No matter the decision in Cheeseland, the Irish vote will not go to waste. The process and democratic result was extremely valuable.

Afrank said:
It takes a man with a big heart, plenty of vision and a big pair of shoulders to take on the job of UCI president.

And McQuaid is about as far from that man as you can get.

He left out that you also need to be prepared to take it up the a** from Verbruggen, & at that Pat excelled !

Whoever replaces Pat, they also need to ditch Hein, as he shouldn't be let within a million miles of a UCI meeting.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That McQuaid piece was a bunch of sour grapes... the battle is lost and soon the war, Pat McQuaid should step aside to restore any shred of dignity left in him.

Out, damned spot! out, I say!

Why won't Mike Plant release his report in advance of UCI Presidential nomination closing date on Sunday?

Surely if it was public it would allow other possible candidates to consider their changes better?

Does he just want it to be a Cookson / McQuaid contest?

Then if he has something on McQ it would leave just Cookson.

So then does that mean Plant just wants Cookson for the role?!?!

Basecase said:
Why won't Mike Plant release his report in advance of UCI Presidential nomination closing date on Sunday?

Surely if it was public it would allow other possible candidates to consider their changes better?

Phat and Hein aren't the only "dirty" characters at UCI, so one can speculate Plant hopes to move McQ out of contention without revealing any details of the report and hence keep UCI's "omerta" status somewhat intact.

Phat would still be a loose cannon without a job, but without too much dirt he could land another one somewhere.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Basecase said:

The thought of what's in the dossier is a lot more damaging right now than what's probably in the dossier.

Is there is a possibility that Lance helped in return for the possibility of a T and R and a reduced ban?

If this is true, the dossier is filled with allegations. Cookson keeps talking about the need to investigate the claims against the UCI (McQuaid).

Cookson and LA's twitter back and forth could have been about just that (legal and practical hurdles). He also tweets; "I would prioritise the allegations which implicate the UCI in cover-ups. Must be investigated independently and quickly."

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the only thing in the dossier is a photo of Pat's face in Lance's derriere.

It can't be made public because of the long line of cycling professionals behind Pat waiting for a round.

Heckler said:
The thought of what's in the dossier is a lot more damaging right now than what's probably in the dossier.

Is there is a possibility that Lance helped in return for the possibility of a T and R and a reduced ban?

WADA/USADA knows the federations are protecting some athletes. A carefully constructed speech for the UCI's version of the Doprah show ending with the phrase "Cycling has to look forward. Cleanest peloton ever." is, rightly, no interest to USADA.

Remember, the UCI pulled the plug on their independent commission as soon as it became clear the commission would actually do something. Lots of other reasons Wonderboy is banned and will stay that way.

Heckler said:
If this is true, the dossier is filled with allegations. Cookson keeps talking about the need to investigate the claims against the UCI (McQuaid).

Cookson and LA's twitter back and forth could have been about just that (legal and practical hurdles). He also tweets; "I would prioritise the allegations which implicate the UCI in cover-ups. Must be investigated independently and quickly."

Like the Landis claims were investigated by the UCI when they weren't personally, and publicly, attacking him? The UCI claims to do investigating whenever controversy arises and then nothing happens.

Cookson is more of the same UCI. What's worse is he's pretending to know nothing about a number of issues.

I like Oldman's analysis of Plant. He could be setting himself up for more power inside the UCI with whatever he's got essentially making himself politically much more powerful than his ally Wiesel and other Management Committee members. I don't doubt for a minute Plant has plenty that implicates all kinds of characters inside the UCI and threatens the organization's legitimacy.