• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
86TDFWinner said:
( I know neither will happen mind you, but) LeMond/Hinault?

Take a look at how the UCI is structured. People that don't rise through the administration ranks are not chosen. Part of rising through administration ranks is old-fashioned politicing. Some high-ranking athletes end up at IOC/sports federation jobs, but not too many.

The person for Pat's job should really be Patrice Clerc. If he could enforce his views onto the UCI we'd have a few years worth of positives and widespread scandal revelations, but a better sports federation a little later. He ran the TdF, so running the UCI should not be too far out of his skills.

Benotti69 said:
USA aint old school.

Belgian, French, Italian and Spanish are what i consider old school cycling nations.

FWIW,The French have ASO and half of Unipublic (owner of the Vuelta), the Italians have RCS (owner of the Giro and more). Both stand to profit greatly from the UCI's continued efforts to narrow the elite level of cycling events.

Belgian promoters are definitely the big losers in the UCI's roadmap. They have been for years.

I could see Wiesel funding a bid from Mike Plant. Mike recently left a job at a MLB team. Wiesel seems to like working by proxy. He runs USAC through USACDF though few understand that. It's brilliant though. All the USOC money and none of the compliance or old crusty USAC rules.

Clerc would be good. **** Pound would be good because i) it would really **** a lot of people off ii) it would break all the po-faced swear filters.

But would the national feds really want to vote for someone who will clean up the sport.

Every national fed has its skeletons buried, every fed has its dodgy golden boy.

What they want is McQuaid without a drink problem and better PR skills. They want someone who isn't going to rock the boat, disrupt the money chain, but isn't going to sounds like a complete imbecile every time he opens his mouth.

Short of a revolution that involves lining every single person involved in cycling administration, management and the media up against a wall and figuratively shooting them (a few we can remove the figurative for) there is not much hope.

At the moment my vote would follow the Russian ballot paper and be for 'against all'.

Mrs John Murphy said:
What they want is McQuaid without a drink problem and better PR skills. They want someone who isn't going to rock the boat, disrupt the money chain, but isn't going to sounds like a complete imbecile every time he opens his mouth.

Cookson!

But, he'd still have Hein making a mockery of everything with every letter sent to federations and interviews. Given Hein is stepping away from IOC roles and his pal Rogge leaving, he might have more time to meddle in the UCI's affairs.

The whole post is spot-on.

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Cookson! But, he'd still have Hein making a mockery of everything with every letter sent to federations and interviews. Given Hein is stepping away from IOC roles and his pal Rogge leaving, he might have more time to meddle in the UCI's affairs. The whole post is spot-on.

In all the discussion about McQuaid little has been said about Verbruggen. If McQuaid is ousted what about Verbruggen? Surely if you pack away the puppet in its box you have to retire the puppeteer?

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Gavatron said:
In all the discussion about McQuaid little has been said about Verbruggen. If McQuaid is ousted what about Verbruggen? Surely if you pack away the puppet in its box you have to retire the puppeteer?

Nobody see's Verbruggen having any role in the future. I'd expect him to resist all moves to shift him but his sphere of influence will vanish very soon.

Whoever is UCI president next will at least be very aware that they have to be seen to be tackling the doping issue full on.....

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Clerc would be good. **** Pound would be good because i) it would really **** a lot of people off ii) it would break all the po-faced swear filters.

What they want is McQuaid without a drink problem and better PR skills.

Pound would be a disaster! I'd rather stick with McQuaid!

PR skills agree - McQuaid has chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome, but drink problem? No, he does not. The man has plenty of faults and flaws for you to choose from without inventing rubbish about him.

RobFowl said:
Nobody see's Verbruggen having any role in the future. I'd expect him to resist all moves to shift him but his sphere of influence will vanish very soon.

How? He has a lifetime appointment as honorary something-or-other of the UCI. It's an honest question.

RobFowl said:
Whoever is UCI president next will at least be very aware that they have to be seen to be tackling the doping issue full on.....

Haha. What year is this again? While that is a well meaning sentiment, the UCI has had ample opportunity to do that and didn't. In fact, they created a 7x winner myth to super-size their support of doping. Before that, they were the very last Olympic sport to sign the WADA standards.

DirtyWorks said:
How? He has a lifetime appointment as honorary something-or-other of the UCI. It's an honest question.

Lifetime appointments infer that a periodic confirmation by election or similar process is not required, but it doesn't mean that the status cannot be revoked if there appears to be just cause. Maybe that dossier has sufficient cause? I can't imagine the contents of the dossier having the fuel to torch McQuaid without also being capable of simultaneously engulfing Mr. Never³. Just speculation though.

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
I can't imagine the contents of the dossier having the fuel to torch McQuaid without also being capable of simultaneously engulfing Mr. Never³. Just speculation though.

Not just Mr. Never, but likely implicates the UCI Management Committee.

IMHO, should the dossier ever be released it would lead to more questions generated, more anti-doping-controversy suspicions proven, more suspicions about how much under-the-table money is flowing to individuals inside the UCI simply because they are UCI execs.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Easily given, easily taken away.
The only reason he gave himself that role - I mean the Mgt Comm gave him the honor was so he can remain on the IOC.
Hein appears to be stepping away regardless - he may decide to go before he is pushed.
DirtyWorks said:
Haha. What year is this again? While that is a well meaning sentiment, the UCI has had ample opportunity to do that and didn't. In fact, they created a 7x winner myth to super-size their support of doping. Before that, they were the very last Olympic sport to sign the WADA standards.
This is where your generalizing goes astray.

Pat & Hein are not the UCI - but they were in control, and it was Hein/Pat who frustrated the process for their own self interest.

Brian Cookson, challenger for the role of UCI President, has said that he was left "disturbed" by the contents of the dossier allegedly produced by UCI Management Committee member Mike Plant over the weekend. The UCI Management Committee was meeting in Bergen, Norway.

Cookson did not divulge the contents of the dossier, writing the second of his planned regular blog posts during his bid to replace incumbent Pat McQuaid.

"I have to respect the confidentiality of the Management Committee with regards to the contents of the dossier with which we were presented," Cookson wrote. "But what I can say is that I was disturbed by what I heard and I have been assured it will be properly investigated."

Will this thing leak?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-reacts-to-dossier-on-mcquaid

Dirty Dennis

BANNED
Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
There is a thread on Mike Plant that I read somewhere on here with a poster implying that Plant was an integral figure in the whole Armstrong/UCI collusion.

Makes you wonder what exactly could be in this dossier. Night of the Long Knives?