• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
noddy69 said:
And who lost the vote. If people there voted like that then they should not be in the positions they are in...the Hog is not right sir . Tarring all with the same brush when its far from the truth is disrespectful. If it were true for all then why is Pat gone ?

There will always be one or two but to try to portray them as a majority is just plain nonsense and if you were there you should know better !

Never said all there said that. Never said i was there.
I said i read real time accounts from people there and it was commented on. And I totally agree it would be an issue with some people...Croke Park motion to open it to other sports...there were plenty who didn't want that...many have moved on, many have not.

noddy69 said:
I havent and just by the vote today what your implying is nonsense.

The idea that the votes for Pat were to keep out Cooksen is rubbish. While old habits die hard we are past that generation mostly. Going to any local bar in Ireland is not exactly like an egm of cycling Ireland nor any other sport.
People love to hate the English, love to see them lose at sport and cheer against them, absolutely, but to say that people would actually damage the sport to keep a Brit out is disrespectful.

I have read comment's which stated that there was a nationalistic tone to some of those in favour of McQuaid but it was in the "better to have one of our guys there than someone else" manner, it wasn't really anti-British, more of a better the devil you know tone. I think the boards.ie thread on the matter is a good read as it has people who were actually there posting on it.

It also sounds like it was a case of the old guard who have been around Irish cycling for year's with McQuaid versus the younger more detached group. It seem's that the old brigade were a bit ****ed that so many people who they had never seen before suddenly appeared out of the woodwork but that is a normal happening in matter's of this nature.

noddy69 said:
And who lost the vote. If people there voted like that then they should not be in the positions they are in...the Hog is not right sir . Tarring all with the same brush when its far from the truth is disrespectful. If it were true for all then why is Pat gone ?

There will always be one or two but to try to portray them as a majority is just plain nonsense and if you were there you should know better !

Sorry.

(For telling the truth)

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that McQuaid's campaign for re-election is so soiled and controversial that it is only commented on in the Clinic.

Reports are that there is a nomination available from The Yellow Rose, in Austin,TX (UCI sub-chapter 7.777777)... for a price.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Digger said:
Are you for real?

I'm deadly serious.

So McQuaid getting rejected to today is the same as Keane trying to end Haaland's career. As if Haaland deserved the same outcome. Paul is no fool and he knows the context that Keane was referring to when he said that quote. If Paul said simply "Take that you ****" without mentioning Roy Keane I would have no problem, but it was wrong to use it here using that quote to justify it more when we know what Keane was referring to when he said it.

Anyway I suppose the only people who would justify it are guys who have an unconditional love for Keane and/or Kimmage and probably even use avatars of one of them on forums or twitter.

Oh that wouldn't be you, would it?

gooner said:
I'm deadly serious.

So McQuaid getting rejected to today is the same as Keane trying to end Haaland's career. As if Haaland deserved the same outcome. Paul is no fool and he knows the context that Keane was referring to when he said that quote. If Paul said simply "Take that you ****" without mentioning Roy Keane I would have no problem, but it was wrong to use it here using that quote to justify it more when we know what Keane was referring to when he said it.

Anyway I suppose the only people who would justify it are guys who have an unconditional love for Keane and/or Kimmage and probably even use avatars of one of them on forums or twitter.

Oh that wouldn't be you, would it?

Nothing like it.

Football is much much much more important than cycling.

No f****** way is it similar.

You're just sh** stirring.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Nothing like it.

Football is much much much more important than cycling.

No f****** way is it similar.

You're just sh** stirring.

You have some cheek.

The biggest troll in the forum who does exactly that with posters who defend Sky and Froome and goes around with a sense of entitlement and law onto himself doing it.

Just have one look at the thread you started yesterday which was closed. Need I say anymore.

As usual Hog, you don't know what you're talking about.

Kimmage knows what Keane meant by that quote. It wasn't appropriate to use here. Why didn't he just say "Take that you ****"?

gooner said:
You have some cheek.

The biggest troll in the forum who does exactly that with posters who defend Sky and Froome and goes around with a sense of entitlement and law onto himself doing it.

Just have one look at the thread you started yesterday which was closed. Need I say anymore.

Kimmage knows what Keane meant by that quote. It wasn't appropriate to use here. Why didn't he just say "Take that you ****"?

He didn't say that, because Keane is still a hero to many, same way Lance is (actually, they share quite a few personality traits)

So by linking it in to current thinking, it gains wider audience.

I happen to agree with you though....totally inappropriate and unacceptable comment and off the ball career ending foul.

Mind you, as Mark Cavendish said about Segans winning celebrations: "He's entitled to celbrate any way he likes: winning is an emotional experience"

Race Radio said:
He didn't get 74 votes. Club members of Cycling Ireland’s board and other commissions, who were in favor of nominating McQuaid, had two votes each, meaning the majority of clubs present were against the nomination.

It wasn't even close. I expect at least one other legitimate candidate, from an old school cycling country, to enter the race soon.

Say it ain't so.

Are we talking about the Johan or the Vrijman?

Dave.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Say it ain't so.

Are we talking about the Johan or the Vrijman?

Dave.

It appears that 30 of McQuaid's vote were block votes from various administrative limbs - his own men, in other words - 30 of 32 such votes - the actual club vote therefore was overwhelming. as it had to be be - more than 2-1

gooner said:
You have some cheek.

For the record the Tour will finish with the following results:

1. Contador
2. TVG
3. Pinot
--/
4. Porte

- Where's the trolling in that?

That's my prediction.

It's solid.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
For the record the Tour will finish with the following results:

1. Contador
2. TVG
3. Pinot
--/
4. Porte

- Where's the trolling in that?

That's my prediction.

It's solid.

I think I know why you didn't mention Froome in your list and it has nothing got to do with road racing section of the forum and more to do with this section.

I only made my point. I wasn't s*** stirring. I told you I'm deadly serious. Kimmage is rightfully delighted at what happened today but that doesn't mean he should use a quote in reference to a cowardly thuggish act to get his point across and practically endorsing it - "Roy Keane put it best". Kimmage knows the situation that quote in Keane's autobiography was referring to and so I still find it strange that he uses that here. My view is that this is not the best thing to do when you are arguing for truth and morals in cycling and sport in general.

gooner said:
My view is that this is not the best thing to do when you are arguing for truth and morals in cycling and sport in general.

I agree. Kimmage has never been the most politically astute person in the media room. You can't find fault in his desires, but he's very much like a bull in a china shop sometimes.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Waiting for Gaelic Ho's apology ;)

Still 74 votes.

Apology?

For what? When did Martin, gooner or any of the Irish when I made that comment that got me banned and the ones before it, when had they done a SINGLE thing to show an ounce of disgust at McQuaid? Take a hard look FGL, most people around here DO NOT criticise their own. The regular Irish posters hadn't muttered a peep, and one is a LAWYER. Yes it upset them, because they didn't like being called out for twiddling their idle hands. You cannot unwrite the past, but at least some people, none that I know of, are making a stand now. Kudos to THEM...not to the ones around here on the forum who are Irish who were completely SILENT when McQuaid was HAMMERING Paul Kimmage last year. Don't forget they said nothing.

I take it the other way. Tell them to up their game and what do the Irish do? Up their game. Okay, some cried and sooked, but that is their choice. So congrats to those who did something. Not over though. Do you really want to trade a one horse race behind Ireland for the same thing behind Britain NOW?

Read thehog's comments and thoughts. But since you asked FGL, I will say it. I am sorry if I offended anyone in the past. Are you sorry if you're Irish for what McQuaid and did in your countries name? Or sorry for Paul Kimmage's treatment by the no.1 Irish cycling official simply because he stood for a clean sport and the truth? Did you have the power to help and you were quiet? I don't need to type anymore FGL the truth is what matters. Not delighting in evil and lies.

As for a race for UCI presidency. Let's hope an Italian or Frenchman runs. They're about the only ones trustworthy in Europe regarding anti-doping measures. Them or a German. Because that is what is important right now. Cracking down HARD on doping and FGL, you know how bad it is. Too many cheaters ATM feeling empowered. Stop them, take their power away. Make them fear riding juiced once again. Leadership doesn't do that and uncover the past then they're not worthy of a nomination IMO. In which case the question should be asked, are they REALLY better than McQuaid?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
How you do where anyone on this forum is?

Regardless.

Try any local bar in Ireland.

Your anwser will lie there.

You been living under a rock or something?

You already know the answer hog.

Denial must be bliss for those it afflicts.

Won't change that people will remember only a few stood against those doing wrongs against so many.

At the end of the day, Floyd Landis had more to do with the this and so did Travis Tygart than any Irishman with real power in cycling.

I wanna know which nation is giving the longest bans in cycling? Is it the Italians? Aren't they the harshest on doping? Put them in charge.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Apology?

For what? When did Martin, gooner or any of the Irish when I made that comment that got me banned and the ones before it, when had they done a SINGLE thing to show an ounce of disgust at McQuaid? Take a hard look FGL, most people around here DO NOT criticise their own. The regular Irish posters hadn't muttered a peep, and one is a LAWYER. Yes it upset them, because they didn't like being called out for twiddling their idle hands. You cannot unwrite the past, but at least some people, none that I know of, are making a stand now. Kudos to THEM...not to the ones around here on the forum who are Irish who were completely SILENT when McQuaid was HAMMERING Paul Kimmage last year. Don't forget they said nothing.

Where have you been?

I have been vocal against McQuaid since day one on this forum. I have never seen an Irish poster on this forum from the ones I know, defending McQuaid. But hey don't leave that get in the way of you having another pop at "us" Irish though.

I sent e-mails to every member of the Cycling Ireland board regarding McQuaid's handling of the Lance, Contador and Jaksche cases. I did the same to the clubs around the country saying something similar and arguing the case for an EGM to be called and to have a more democratic process. You didn't have to be Irish to do that. You could have been from any country to do it.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Where have you been?

I have been vocal against McQuaid since day one on this forum. I have never seen an Irish poster on this forum from the ones I know, defending McQuaid. But hey don't leave that get in the way of you having another pop at "us" Irish though.

I sent e-mails to every member of the Cycling Ireland board regarding McQuaid's handling of the Lance, Contador and Jaksche cases. I did similar to the clubs around the country saying something similar and arguing the case for an EGM to be called and to have a more democratic process. You didn't have to be Irish to do that. You could have been from any country to do it.

Not you gooner. I clearly said those Irish who didn't like being called out and got all huffy when it was asked what had they done. I put an exclusion statement in that last post, meaning if that isn't you, then exclude yourself.

Fret not, most people don't read and miss when I do that. I am use to it. I apologise for the language I used months back. That wasn't fair. But the message behind poor word selection remains. It has been time for a long time, the Irish booted McQuaid out.

BUT...what is the point if a Brit gains power now with GB doping with no restraint? And no, this isn't a debate of what they may have done. You either are for or against. If you're against, best you leave the Clinic, because it won't be hard to mark you out as someone who does not have cycling's best interests at heart. Obvious doping is obvious. And no gooner, this section isn't directed at you.

gooner said:
I think I know why you didn't mention Froome in your list and it has nothing got to do with road racing section of the forum and more to do with this section.

No. Hog made that thread purely to.**** off sky fans in the prr sections usually out of his reach, by slagging froome as not a contender. Clinic had nothing to do with it.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No. Hog made that thread purely to.**** off sky fans in the prr sections usually out of his reach, by slagging froome as not a contender. Clinic had nothing to do with it.

Agree with that being the main reason overall. I said that in my previous post also.

gooner said:

Galic Ho said:
I wanna know which nation is giving the longest bans in cycling? Is it the Italians? Aren't they the harshest on doping? Put them in charge.

Well the case against Steffen Kjærgaard might give you an indication. They are talking life time ban for any association with Norwegian cycling. And his doping was beyond the WADA SOL.

AD Norway IIRC are not going ahead with the case due to the SOL, but the federation seems to want to. There have been calls by Mads Kaggestad(cycling expert and doping hater) for leniency. Same from Frankie Andreu and last week from Travis Tygart on a visit to Oslo(He confirmed USADA were present at his interviews by AD Norway).

The problem with Kjærgaard was first the doping, then it was working as the national coach despite having doped, and then lying about it. Even to the current president who took over in 2008 who had IIRC asked him several times if he had doped when the Armstrong case made the headlines.

I think there is a feeling of betrayal within the federation and it's leadership. Personally I hope the rage subsists, and the advice of the doping campaigners for a more forgiving attitude to take hold. If the cost of stepping forward is too high, one risks cementing the omerta. If there is dirt it should come to the open.

A good thing for Norwegian sport in the Kjærgaard case is that AD Norway got a good budget increase, and the politicians agreed to criminalize use of doping. Hence the polices tools could become available like it is in France and Italy.

The Norwegian President had apparently been asked to run, but he seems reluctant due to a lot of projects likely to come to fruition in the near future in Norwegian cycling.

Personally I'm hoping for a French candidate, someone like David Lappartient. However being from a big federation might make it more difficult to get the votes from the smaller non European federations. In that case the Norwegian president, might be a good choice, if he can be convinced.