• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

May 24, 2010
Visit site
BRILLIANT!!! Thank you Cycling Ireland, nmaybe the board members who have feted McQuaid all these years should fall on their swords as well!!

Siriuscat said:
BRILLIANT!!! Thank you Cycling Ireland, nmaybe the board members who have feted McQuaid all these years should fall on their swords as well!!

This is politics, Irish style, it was a case of those who wanted the right thing for the sport versus the old boys network. I would almost be certain that the clubs who all voted in favour of McQ had strong links with the McQuaids going back decades. One of them was Sean Kelly's home club I think.

Look at Jack Watson, he has been around the sport in Ireland forever, much like McQ. They are likely bosom buddies so there was no way someone like that was going to turn around and vote against McQ.

Make no mistake that Watson has done a lot for the sport in Ireland also and is a true cycling man but friendship and loyalty often takes precedent over the right thing to do.

The overwhelming impression in social media sources prior to the meeting were that most people were against McQ but look at how close the vote was. This suggest's that a lot of people who backed McQ didn't want it to be known that they backed him so stayed quiet. They would have backed him regardless of any negativity but wanted to hide their reasons for doing so.

Just hopefully it wont leave any divisive recriminations in CI.

hrotha said:
I'm amazed that he still got 74 votes.

That said, I'd rather have a Cookson vs MsQuaid race than only one candidate.

The McQuaid's reach is long. They're ingrained in Irish cycling culture for the last 30 years. Many clubs have benefited from the McQuaids.

Also and most importantly the Irish don't want to be giving up the UCi presidency to the British!

So will a proper candidate step up to the plate now?

BTW would a hypothetical Lemond ever make it through the Trek riding Nike sweating US Cycling nomination vote? It's not like they'd have anyone better.
Unless...Tygart!

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:

Really? It was all over the internet

That aside, whats telling is how small a percentage of delegates turned up. Yes, more than a usual AGM or EGM, but still, of the hundreds of Irish clubs, each with multiple delegates, only 150 or so attended.

You can assume that all the strongly pro-pat attended. And they still got beaten.

Says a lot.

TheGame said:
Really? It was all over the internet

That aside, whats telling is how small a percentage of delegates turned up. Yes, more than a usual AGM or EGM, but still, of the hundreds of Irish clubs, each with multiple delegates, only 150 or so attended.

You can assume that all the strongly pro-pat attended. And they still got beaten.

Says a lot.

The popularity of cycling in Ireland has grown rapidly in the last 5 years and new clubs are springing up everywhere. Just over 10 years ago in my region, there was 1 cycling club, now there are 7/8. Many of these newer clubs are made up of people who are newish to cycling and have limited knowledge of the pro side of the sport. I think it would be fair to say that many members of such clubs are ambivalent towards the whole McQuaid issue or even doping issues. Thus many were not bothered about attending, I know many clinic posters think everyone who cycles has a knowledge of pro cycling when in fact most don't and don't really care. Many are just like July fans when it comes to pro cycling.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Whilst i feel sure this is not the end of the road for phat the rat , it gives a glimmer of HOPE , for the future of Cycling Sport !

The following tweet says much :

" Mike O'Hanlon ‏@unoghoulie 1h
@djmmorgan @jaimiefuller If Pat can't get Swiss backing, he could give Vino a top job & excuse Astana dope tests. Khazakstan might back him.

After watching Julia Gillard laying into an Aussie Poli , with a resemblence to uniballer , i would suggest that people canvas @GaudryT , a female to swing her handbag into the Presidential Race !

With her experience of running the " Amy Gillett Foundation " in Oz , she has NO hidden Agenda thus will not be carrying the baggage and favours owed , that the likes of Cookson have picked up over the years at UCI ?

Being a Woman that has a family in Oz , she will get the JOB done quickly and will see that Women's Cycling , finally get treated with more respect .

With the Anzac spirit , the UCI will get a spring clean that will have heads spinning !

Netserk said:
At the time of my post it wasn't on neither cyclingnews, velonation nor any Danish sites. Or do you have a link to a non-Irish site where it was published at the time of my post?

Yeah, when you first asked, it had just been posted to boards.ie by people who were at the meeting. So it had literally happened minutes before. Cyclingnews were incredibly slow at getting it up on their newsfeed.