• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I'm amazed that he still got 74 votes.

That said, I'd rather have a Cookson vs MsQuaid race than only one candidate.

He didn't get 74 votes. Club members of Cycling Ireland’s board and other commissions, who were in favor of nominating McQuaid, had two votes each, meaning the majority of clubs present were against the nomination.

It wasn't even close. I expect at least one other legitimate candidate, from an old school cycling country, to enter the race soon.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
At the time of my post it wasn't on neither cyclingnews, velonation nor any Danish sites. Or do you have a link to a non-Irish site where it was published at the time of my post?

Netserk, you need to speak to your own federation about giving a glowing endorsement of McQuaid, presented at the meeting in his defence....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/irish-cycling-clubs-vote-against-backing-mcquaid-for-uci-presidency

"An hour-long debate saw a strong defence of McQuaid's track record by those members closest to him, with letters of support apparently coming from the Danish and Caribbean federations."

GreasyMonkey said:
Netserk, you need to speak to your own federation about giving a glowing endorsement of McQuaid, presented at the meeting in his defence....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/irish-cycling-clubs-vote-against-backing-mcquaid-for-uci-presidency

"An hour-long debate saw a strong defence of McQuaid's track record by those members closest to him, with letters of support apparently coming from the Danish and Caribbean federations."

Good to know the Caribbean nations are behind McQuaid.

Strong cycling representation there.

:rolleyes:

hrotha said:
I'm amazed that he still got 74 votes.

No, I disagree. It's spectacular, and probably almost unprecedented for a national sports body in any sport or country to successfully revolt against an old-school apartchik like McQuaid, especially due to a grassroots effort.

Even a victory by one vote would have been an immense success imo.

The thing is, that McQuaid not only obviously had a lot of institutional support, but also most cycling clubs in Ireland probably don't give a **** about professional cycling, so what's the point of ****ing off a man like McQuaid?
The odds were hugely stacked against this motion to remove McQuaids endorsement from succeeding, and 74 votes is nothing in this context.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
.... It's spectacular, and probably almost unprecedented for a national sports body in any sport or country to successfully revolt against an old-school apartchik like McQuaid, especially due to a grassroots effort.
don't know if this defeat was unprecedented in sports (quite possible), but i was not expecting this turn of events and was immensely impressed by the maturity of irish clubs.

this happened likely in large part due walsh/kimmage message resonating with folks and, not the least, due to adherence of irish cycling officials, despite themselves voting against the popular sentiment, to a true democratic process.

i was still bothered by moran's strong belief that mcquaid will be nominated by the swiss.

another positive from this vote could be that if there were undecided members of the uci management committee, they may now get a nudge...

spalco said:
No, I disagree. It's spectacular, and probably almost unprecedented for a national sports body in any sport or country to successfully revolt against an old-school apartchik like McQuaid, especially due to a grassroots effort.

I'm pretty amazed myself. A situation definitely worth revisiting is the original invalid vote. You have to wonder what McQuaid offered for a number of the voters to hold their nose and vote for McQuaid.

spalco said:
most cycling clubs in Ireland probably don't give a **** about professional cycling, so what's the point of ****ing off a man like McQuaid?

There's been a number of posts about the growth of cycling in Ireland. How many of the newer clubs/riders are signing up with Cycling Ireland/UCI?

My guess is Thom Wiesel put up the funds for Mike Plant to deliver the incriminating evidence. Plant's worked a long, long time in support of Wiesel's operations.

DirtyWorks said:
There's been a number of posts about the growth of cycling in Ireland. How many of the newer clubs/riders are signing up with Cycling Ireland/UCI?

All Clubs must be CI affiliated, most clubs due to insurance issues now require all members to have a CI license for group rides. Those new to the sport will usually need to get a CI license on joining a club, and will certainly need one for club rides, club league racing or national racing. All sportifs build in a 10% cost for a CI day license also for insurance purposes.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 1m
@DavidWalshST No, David, Roy Keane put it best: "Take that you c***!"

While I agree with Paul's sentiment, I don't think using a Roy Keane quote from his autobiography is the best thing to use here when it's referring to a tackle Keane did on Alfe Inge Haaland which was meant to intentionally injure and end someone's career in the process. That was nothing short of a cowardly and thuggish act. Surprised and in fact shocked to see Paul use that here to get his point across. Proabably ill-advised.

python said:
don't know if this defeat was unprecedented in sports (quite possible), but i was not expecting this turn of events and was immensely impressed by the maturity of irish clubs.

this happened likely in large part due walsh/kimmage message resonating with folks and, not the least, due to adherence of irish cycling officials, despite themselves voting against the popular sentiment, to a true democratic process.

i was still bothered by moran's strong belief that mcquaid will be nominated by the swiss.

another positive from this vote could be that if there were undecided members of the uci management committee, they may now get a nudge...

I don't think Kimmage or Walsh had much if any influence on this. Kimmage did speak to one of the members of the board that voted in favour of McQuaid and did leave him know his feelings about it alright but the credit goes to especially to Anto Moran who left CI over his strong belief in all this and Conor McGrane also who was pushing for an EGM. I would put it more down to them.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
The McQuaid's reach is long. They're ingrained in Irish cycling culture for the last 30 years. Many clubs have benefited from the McQuaids.

Also and most importantly the Irish don't want to be giving up the UCi presidency to the British!

The Irish have voted at grass roots level for the good of cycling. Yes he has a history here but people have voted and given our community some credibility at last.

Your last statement is ridiculous. The people who voted want whats good for cycling first and if that is a British person in charge the so be it.

gooner said:
While I agree with Paul's sentiment, I don't think using a Roy Keane quote from his autobiography is the best thing to use here when it's referring to a tackle Keane did on Alfe Inge Haaland which was meant to intentionally injure and end someone's career in the process. That was nothing short of a cowardly and thuggish act. Surprised and in fact shocked to see Paul use that here to get his point across. Proabably ill-advised.

I don't think Kimmage or Walsh had much if any influence on this. Kimmage did speak to one of the members of the board that voted in favour of McQuaid and did leave him know his feelings about it alright but the credit goes to especially to Anto Moran who left CI over his strong belief in all this and Conor McGrane also who was pushing for an EGM. I would put it more down to them.

Are you for real?

noddy69 said:
The Irish have voted at grass roots level for the good of cycling. Yes he has a history here but people have voted and given our community some credibility at last.

Your last statement is ridiculous. The people who voted want whats good for cycling first and if that is a British person in charge the so be it.

No Hog is absolutely correct. I have seen a number of people who were there say an underlying theme of many who voted for Pat was that it's better have an Irishman than an Englishman.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Digger said:
No Hog is absolutely correct. I have seen a number of people who were there say an underlying theme of many who voted for Pat was that it's better have an Irishman than an Englishman.

Sources?

Because you weren't in Ireland, as far as I know.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
How you do where anyone on this forum is?

Regardless.

Try any local bar in Ireland.

Your anwser will lie there.

You been living under a rock or something?

I havent and just by the vote today what your implying is nonsense.

The idea that the votes for Pat were to keep out Cooksen is rubbish. While old habits die hard we are past that generation mostly. Going to any local bar in Ireland is not exactly like an egm of cycling Ireland nor any other sport.
People love to hate the English, love to see them lose at sport and cheer against them, absolutely, but to say that people would actually damage the sport to keep a Brit out is disrespectful.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Digger said:
The last two posters are choosing to ignore what people who were actually there have commented!!
Ah well........
And again Hog is right....

And who lost the vote. If people there voted like that then they should not be in the positions they are in...the Hog is not right sir . Tarring all with the same brush when its far from the truth is disrespectful. If it were true for all then why is Pat gone ?

There will always be one or two but to try to portray them as a majority is just plain nonsense and if you were there you should know better !

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Inquitus said:
LOL, you sir are the one who has been living under a rock with comments like that.

Little Piggy is getting perilously close to a Galic Ho style racial slur here. I normally just block his trolling out, but he might want to be careful about pushing his luck.