• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
T-Nielsen said:
The danish guy may be the former DCU chairman who resigned back in january. At least thats the rumour.

Nothing to do with the DCU then, just a privat person allowed to be as stupid as anyone els.

If this is the case, it would be interesting to see the endorsement, and how it was signed off....

If it was written as an endorsement of a private citizen, then the signatory should not use "ex-president" or such office-bearing indication, unless he is an "honourary Past President" or such, like Verdruggem.......

Otherwise Phat and his merry band of Hamelin rats have mis-represented the writer's position, making the assumption that it was presented as an endorsement from the DCU.

Petty politickking at it's best... but it still lost him the endorsement:D

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm tempted to start a new thread just on Plant's role in all this.

I remember this about Plant - he seems to be another pirate - another thief amoung thieves. And now he's calling the kettle - McQuaid - black. Oh, my, that makes me feel real good about the future, oh yes indeedy.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1130695&highlight=Mike+Plant#post1130695

And I don't think I'll be alone in my thinking.

This is like the head of Goldman Sachs calling for the head off the CEO of AIG. The rats are abandoning - but this just means they'll man a new ship - and we'll get stuck with it.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
. . .
I wanna know which nation is giving the longest bans in cycling? Is it the Italians? Aren't they the harshest on doping? Put them in charge.

ToreBear said:
Well the case against Steffen Kjærgaard might give you an indication. They are talking life time ban for any association with Norwegian cycling. And his doping was beyond the WADA SOL.

. . .
A good thing for Norwegian sport in the Kjærgaard case is that AD Norway got a good budget increase, and the politicians agreed to criminalize use of doping. Hence the polices tools could become available like it is in France and Italy.

The Norwegian President had apparently been asked to run, but he seems reluctant due to a lot of projects likely to come to fruition in the near future in Norwegian cycling.

Personally I'm hoping for a French candidate, someone like David Lappartient. However being from a big federation might make it more difficult to get the votes from the smaller non European federations. In that case the Norwegian president, might be a good choice, if he can be convinced.

Ok - so we need a candidate from Norway, Italy, or France?

I'd also like to see the anti-democratic changes to the national organizations, which happened in the 90's or 2-aughts, idk, but I know I want them reversed. This closed-door business methodology has got to go.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
This is politics, Irish style, it was a case of those who wanted the right thing for the sport versus the old boys network. I would almost be certain that the clubs who all voted in favour of McQ had strong links with the McQuaids going back decades. One of them was Sean Kelly's home club I think.

Look at Jack Watson, he has been around the sport in Ireland forever, much like McQ. They are likely bosom buddies so there was no way someone like that was going to turn around and vote against McQ.

Make no mistake that Watson has done a lot for the sport in Ireland also and is a true cycling man but friendship and loyalty often takes precedent over the right thing to do.

The overwhelming impression in social media sources prior to the meeting were that most people were against McQ but look at how close the vote was. This suggest's that a lot of people who backed McQ didn't want it to be known that they backed him so stayed quiet. They would have backed him regardless of any negativity but wanted to hide their reasons for doing so.

Just hopefully it wont leave any divisive recriminations in CI.
Firstly - while the result is excellent and a clear message that McQuaid is not wanted I do not expect him to do the right thing and just disappear.
He needs a stake driven through him before he will die.

Sadly it is hard not to see recriminations within CI from this.
I have met Jack when he was a Comm at many races, he is a gent, very fair with a common sense approach. But he (& others) picked the wrong wheel and from reading the 'live' reports some made it very personal.
Heads do not need to roll - but the old guard need to acknowledge that cycling is not just their preserve.

Dr. Maserati said:
Firstly - while the result is excellent and a clear message that McQuaid is not wanted I do not expect him to do the right thing and just disappear.

I have met Jack when he was a Comm at many races, he is a gent, very fair with a common sense approach. But he (& others) picked the wrong wheel and from reading the 'live' reports some made it very personal.
Heads do not need to roll - but the old guard need to acknowledge that cycling is not just their preserve.

He's not going down without a fight.

All expenses paid housing, travel account and access for his family to riders and races.

It will take more than a vote to remove him.

They need to destroy him. Embarrass him.

They asked him to resign on Friday. He did not.

Pat is not stupid. The majority of the management committee were on on the Armstrong heist. Many have also benifited from presidency. They've done deals. Exposé him. He'll expose them.

Dr. Maserati said:

I agree that their may be recriminations within CI which is sad, there will surely be some bitterness for some time but hopefully it will pass. Cycling is on an absolute high here at the moment so it would be sad to see that be lost because of jealousy and bitterness.

There are now reports coming from the EGM about the arguments for both views at the EGM. It is very sad to see that some of the pro-McQuaid camp were indeed putting the nationality issue to the fore. That was incredibly misguided and the anti-McQuaid delegates dismissed those arguments in a fitting manner.

Doc-I think you know how things are in Ireland when it comes to politics, every GAA club in Ireland is run along the same lines. There is the old guard who have been involved for years and feel they have a greater sense of entitlement than the younger, newer faces. You usually have to pay your dues working with the underage section first before even seeking a senior position in a club.

It is very clear that some of the officials were offended at seeing people who they never laid eyes on before suddenly appearing. It's like before an All-Ireland final when you have people who never attended a GAA event all season suddenly appearing demanding a ticket because they happen to be a member of a club.

I can understand that feeling of bitterness but in the case of CI, as you say the older guard have to accept what happened and move on for the benefit of Irish cycling.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I agree that their may be recriminations within CI which is sad, there will surely be some bitterness for some time but hopefully it will pass. Cycling is on an absolute high here at the moment so it would be sad to see that be lost because of jealousy and bitterness.

There are now reports coming from the EGM about the arguments for both views at the EGM. It is very sad to see that some of the pro-McQuaid camp were indeed putting the nationality issue to the fore. That was incredibly misguided and the anti-McQuaid delegates dismissed those arguments in a fitting manner.

Doc-I think you know how things are in Ireland when it comes to politics, every GAA club in Ireland is run along the same lines. There is the old guard who have been involved for years and feel they have a greater sense of entitlement than the younger, newer faces. You usually have to pay your dues working with the underage section first before even seeking a senior position in a club.

It is very clear that some of the officials were offended at seeing people who they never laid eyes on before suddenly appearing. It's like before an All-Ireland final when you have people who never attended a GAA event all season suddenly appearing demanding a ticket because they happen to be a member of a club.

I can understand that feeling of bitterness but in the case of CI, as you say the older guard have to accept what happened and move on for the benefit of Irish cycling.

I found the patriotic call quite amusing when at the earliest opportunity Pat remembered he was a Swiss cycling member as well as that when he was off in South Africa he had no hesitation in pretending to be English.
McQuaid doesn't care about nationalism, McQuaid only concern is himself.

@thehog - Also, as was pointed out to me recently, if McQuaid is ousted he is without a job and any real prospect of getting one.
He currently pulls in a nice tax free sum that he doesn't need to touch as everything else is covered by either UCI or IOC.
If he had gone with some dignity he might have ended up on some board somewhere - now not even Sportsaccord would touch him.

thehog said:
Pat is not stupid. The majority of the management committee were on on the Armstrong heist. Many have also benifited from presidency. They've done deals. Exposé him. He'll expose them.

Like your post suggests, the Management Committee had to be in on the fraud. Wouldn't it be a shame if the dossier were strategically leaked?:D C'mon guys! Go for broke!

Pat's got quite a bit of resources to get things going his way again.

I still want to know what Hein's got to say about it. Maybe he needs to write another letter to the UCI's voting members? "Pat and I aren't terrorists! And another thing, we never ever ever never made money on the side because of our position at the UCI." That will be leaked in hours.

DirtyDennis said:
I'm willing to make a prediction.

I think McQuaid is toast and I think he'll go without trying to take down anybody else.

Remember Hein runs the UCI like he owns it. So, if Hein wants Pat to remain, chances are good we'll see some more interesting interpretations of UCI procedure.

Also remember the UCI is not a Democracy. Sure, people vote for stuff, but votes are bought and sold by people that do not have to report back to ground-level members. I have no doubt the likes of Makarov, Cookson, and Thom Wiesel's proxy Plant are helping kick Pat out. But, it's a complicated, opaque structure.

Hein is still there at the top. Pat's got UCI resources to buy votes.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

thehog said:
He's not going down without a fight.

All expenses paid housing, travel account and access for his family to riders and races.

It will take more than a vote to remove him.

They need to destroy him. Embarrass him.

They asked him to resign on Friday. He did not.

DirtyWorks said:
Remember Hein runs the UCI like he owns it. So, if Hein wants Pat to remain, chances are good we'll see some more interesting interpretations of UCI procedure.

Also remember the UCI is not a Democracy. Sure, people vote for stuff, but votes are bought and sold by people that do not have to report back to ground-level members. I have no doubt the likes of Makarov, Cookson, and Thom Wiesel's proxy Plant are helping kick Pat out. But, it's a complicated, opaque structure.

Hein is still there at the top. Pat's got UCI resources to buy votes.

Remember what they used to say about the Soviet? An enigma within an enigma? It was because they were running themselves in the same manner. Limited membership committees. Closed meetings. Public decisions were all show.

agreement

DirtyDennis said:
I'm willing to make a prediction.

I think McQuaid is toast and I think he'll go without trying to take down anybody else.

i agree..............how many days until fat pat realises that the tide has turned

and he is truly not wanted................there will never be a vote in his favour

............expect his resignation.....soon

of course colourful conspiracy theories sound good but there never is need to

substantiate them

Mark L

Before CI became one there was 3 cycling associations in Ireland, NCA, CRE(ICF) & NICF. McQuaid's were CRE.

Was actually weird to hear of some who spoke up for pat on sat

A few would have had NCA traditions.

Also Afaik jack and paul Watson have enjoyed many a commissaire trip to McQuaid fanily organised races. IMHO they have a conflict of interest and should not have been allowed speak. Surprised no one picked that up.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ding-**** the witch is dead. The night of the long knives are out for McQuaid, I wonder if he was aware that forces were moving against him this quickly? I think he was totally blindsided by Cookson's candidacy, although the anti-Brit brigade has already condemned this as a switch of like for like, not it's clear that there is a more concerted effort to remove him. If the Swiss do back him I'd expect him to lose in the election anyway, more likely the Swiss won't go out on a limb for him and we will have a bit of bloodless coup. Once out of office and protection, this damning dossier and it's contents that has been mentioned by a fair few may become more public knowledge.

But never few, you have the wicked witch of the west to look forward to. No doubt the sight will be re-aimed at Cookson, guilty by dint of being a Brit and all our heavy doping culture which he turns a blind eye too, or is culpable of, or he's sky's motoman, I forget which it is.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Question is, what's to stop McQuaid from being made an 'Honorary Life President' with voting rights, al la Verbruggen.

Come to that even if McQuaid is ousted, how is Verbruggen to be got rid of?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Somewhere in Aigle is a drawer with a file folder that contains the charter and constitution and bylaws of the UCI. In this constitution we would find the provisions for most but not all imaginable scenarios. If there is a way for Pat and Hein to stay permanently involved, they have already found it.
It's not too late for them to create a position for Pat as a senior administrator reporting directly to the Honorary President, or some equivalent sham.
Pat ain't dead. He's wounded, but will not disappear soon, sadly.

PS: Plant's report will leak eventually.