• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat McQuaid not nominated at Cycling Ireland EGM

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I have read thru the whole thread and I am a little confused by all of this!
Should we the Irish have backed McQuaid or not?

FWIW I think what Irish Cycling not Cycling Ireland did on Saturday was historic and if you cant applaud Irish cyclists then I give up! Cycling Ireland facilitated the egm but backed him to the hilt.

As regards the Danish Cycling Union that letter which I have came from Tom Lund on the 9th April we got letters of support for PmcQ from Ray Godkin, Stephen Roche (the same note as appeared in the media), Asia and Africa confederation, cant recall the caribbean one and a number of UCI commissaires. No (other) National Federation wrote to support him. I wrote to the journalist and told him it wasnt from DCU, I wrote to DCU to explain to them and they thanked and accepted it.

somebody else mentioned "I am bothered by morans assertion that the swiss will back him" but it was always going to happen. He told me in the 121 meeting that the Swiss would back him. I believe the legal case will fail but I feel skins did it to focus attention back on the ci egm. Had the swiss not interfered with the egm and people felt that their vote truly counted I am sure we would have had a higher proportion of the clubs represented.

As regards us not wanting a Brit, as I have said all along this is bigger than Nationalities, its bigger than PMcQ being Irish. I think we are mature enough to accept that the best person for the job should get the job no matter where they are from.

Anyway lets see what develops, lets hope 2 more come forward and we get a good election with the best person being elected.

Sorry for rambling!

Anto Moran

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
morana said:

FWIW I think what Irish Cycling not Cycling Ireland did on Saturday was historic and if you cant applaud Irish cyclists then I give up! Cycling Ireland facilitated the egm but backed him to the hilt.

As regards the Danish Cycling Union that letter which I have came from Tom Lund on the 9th April we got letters of support for PmcQ from Ray Godkin, Stephen Roche (the same note as appeared in the media), Asia and Africa confederation, cant recall the caribbean one and a number of UCI commissaires. No (other) National Federation wrote to support him. I wrote to the journalist and told him it wasnt from DCU, I wrote to DCU to explain to them and they thanked and accepted it.

somebody else mentioned "I am bothered by morans assertion that the swiss will back him" but it was always going to happen. He told me in the 121 meeting that the Swiss would back him. I believe the legal case will fail but I feel skins did it to focus attention back on the ci egm. Had the swiss not interfered with the egm and people felt that their vote truly counted I am sure we would have had a higher proportion of the clubs represented.

As regards us not wanting a Brit, as I have said all along this is bigger than Nationalities, its bigger than PMcQ being Irish. I think we are mature enough to accept that the best person for the job should get the job no matter where they are from.

Anyway lets see what develops, lets hope 2 more come forward and we get a good election with the best person being elected.

Sorry for rambling!

Anto Moran

Of course you shouldn't have backed McQuaid and well done on forcing the issue so that CI eventually put it to a vote and for putting the interests of the sport ahead of personalities, nationalism and all the other muck that was put forward.

Back in 2010 I posted an open letter to McQuaid requesting that he consider his position are step aside while the UCIs role was investigated. It was quite clear soon after that Pat was not going to go quietly.
How things work out in Switzerland I do not know - I think the Plant Dossier will be what forces things now.
But it was very important that his own Federation (eventually) rejected him - so congrats and chapeau for that.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
No, you're right. I was baffled by some of the negativity here too, when it should have been occasion worthy of big applause.
Hold on - I just very quickly reread this thread. There is no negativity - there is not one post even implying that McQuaid being rejected was a bad thing.

The posts did drift off on irrelevant things, Roy Keanes tackle and thehog trolling about the Irish/English. But nothing at all negative on the decision.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
morana said:

Sorry for rambling!

Anto Moran

Welcome Anto!!

Thanks for having the stones, and putting them on the table!!

I don't think anyone is upset with the Irish voting McQ down, and I think they deserve praise.

The worries around the thread has more to do with who are we getting instead. That is if indeed we will get another.

BTW just for the record: Tom Lund is a clown (have to dudge the censorship ;) ).

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
T-Nielsen said:
I don't think anyone is upset with the Irish voting McQ down, and I think they deserve praise.

The worries around the thread has more to do with who are we getting instead. That is if indeed we will get another.

BTW just for the record: Tom Lund is a clown (have to dudge the censorship ;) ).

yeah maybe my brain is still mush! just the overriding feeling I had was well "what now we have only Cookson" Anyway whats done is done!

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Worrying about who will replace Pat Mc is futile...it can get no worse then Patty Mc in my mind. If we get a new guy that is his equal then at least we will have sent the message that if you get caught you will eventually be thrown out...even if it's 12 years after the fact lol

I would love an outsider to run for office so that the full extent of the corruption gets exposed. God only knows how many under the table business dealings went on with Hein/Pat...

Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci
Tomorrow I will be answering questions via a Twitter Q&A and hearing your ideas for a bright future for cycling! Starts at 4pm (UK time)

An accessible UCI president. (candidate)

EDIT: That cat is an OBE, that must make picking up chicks very easy.

I think it is superb what the Irish have done:cool:. In the most democratic way, they have overturned the decision of business minded administrators for the betterment of cycling. Even though this goes against them(They are surely not going to receive the amount of focus or funding without an Irishman at the helm). It sets a fantastic precedent to overcome biased decisions. :)
Swiss Cycling basically jumped the gun when it was the prerogative of Irish Cycling to nominate McQuaid. Whatever happens now will be on their heads.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
morana said:
yeah maybe my brain is still mush! just the overriding feeling I had was well "what now we have only Cookson" Anyway whats done is done!

That's a fair observation.
But it actually goes right back to how many have no faith on the overall system of the UCI.

Also, you were involved in the sausage making aspect of cycling - politics, votes, debates, meetings etc. It is not pretty or sexy, but it is the most important aspect in the setup. So, you should not underestimate what you have done.

Standing for your principals and resigning from the board was huge in putting pressure on CI to go to a vote (which McQ attempted to circumvent by finding a Swiss license in his wallet).
The rejection by the membership has exposed the grass roots level of dissatisfaction at the way cycling is run - and this has encouraged other candidates to enter and hopefully to address all the problems.
What you all did was huge - but hey, this is cycling don't expect much thanks.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
PosterBill said:
Worrying about who will replace Pat Mc is futile...it can get no worse then Patty Mc in my mind. If we get a new guy that is his equal then at least we will have sent the message that if you get caught you will eventually be thrown out...even if it's 12 years after the fact

Careful what you wish for. Cookson with Plant, Weisel and the Russian's pulling the strings could be worse.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
morana said:

Chapeau Morana, and I'm sure other candidates will emerge, but thanks for confounding a few stereotypes by refuting the 'anyone but a Brit' (which presumably would be more accurately anyone but an Englishman anyway) angle.

Dr. Maserati said:
Hold on - I just very quickly reread this thread. There is no negativity - there is not one post even implying that McQuaid being rejected was a bad thing.

The posts did drift off on irrelevant things, Roy Keanes tackle and thehog trolling about the Irish/English. But nothing at all negative on the decision.
Yeah, what I said was misleading. I didn't mean negativity in regards to this rejection of McQuaid, but general complaining about things that have no direct connection with the Irish EGM - like who would be taking over McQuaid if he does lose his position, or how likely it is this could happen EGM or not. It still annoyed me though. ;)

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Chapeau to " Morana " , for his decisive action !

Mods/admin of CNF should IMMEDIATELY , upgrade his Status to " Senior Member " , as a mark of respect !

With the ONLY Presidential Candidates coming from the 42 Voting Delegates , there are limited choices available .

Regretably most of the Male Candidates will be " tainted ", so setting aside " Nationalities , Etc " and the fact that there were women available in the Past , it may well be necessary to prevail on @GaudryT , to step forward .

With a Young Family and commitments to the " Amy Gillett Foundation " , is it really necessary in this world of " Internet Facilities & Tele Conferencing " for the President to be physically present in Aigle 24/7/365 days ?

There are " Competent Administrators " employed at aigle to do the day to day work , let them get on and do it ! Attending Bergen & Firenze and using Internet the rest of the year , would see most of the " Necessary Work " dealt with , possibly with better results ?

Aigle area is a nice location , but i think that relocating out of Oz , could be a hardship ?

Dr. Maserati said:
That's a fair observation.
But it actually goes right back to how many have no faith on the overall system of the UCI.

Also, you were involved in the sausage making aspect of cycling - politics, votes, debates, meetings etc. It is not pretty or sexy, but it is the most important aspect in the setup. So, you should not underestimate what you have done.

Standing for your principals and resigning from the board was huge in putting pressure on CI to go to a vote (which McQ attempted to circumvent by finding a Swiss license in his wallet).
The rejection by the membership has exposed the grass roots level of dissatisfaction at the way cycling is run - and this has encouraged other candidates to enter and hopefully to address all the problems.
What you all did was huge - but hey, this is cycling don't expect much thanks.

Great post Doc.

The anonymous cycling fans in far-off places appreciate all the work you and others have done to make this happen Anto. We need your voice/actions back in Cycling Ireland! Regardless of what you decide to do next, you have done quite a bit of good. Best of luck in all your endeavours.

Let's not forget Dr Conor McGrane who personally helped push CI to the EGM and apparently helped build the Pat McQuaid File.

thehog said:
You can't be UCI president unless you're on the management committee.

Or are you suggesting McQuaid becomes head of WADA?

Well, actually that question was specific to the person who posted some interesting, but brief, views on McQuaid and Pound.

McQuaid head of WADA? That first interview would be comedy gold. "We have the best system ever. It's so complicated I don't understand it. But it works."

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
No doubt! What the Irish did was just epic...and has to be incredibly embrassing for Pat. The Irish had every reason to back the guy but put cycling above it all. I am amazed!