• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paul Sherwen exposed as doper

Re: Paul Sherwen (say it aint so)

sniper said:

Sherwen never saw doping in the 80's because he was always riding in the grupetto. Hard to see much when you are in the back of the pack. Though perhaps HE was riding clean, or else he just was a terrible responder. I do remember him always saying how bad of a climber he was anytime the road went uphill a bit.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
sniper said:
@bullsfan, check diggers tweet. He just got his sorry *** exposed.

LOL. I was just able to open it. I hope that gets relayed to him.
Apparently George Shaw (Raleigh team manager) kept a team diary.
His son recently spilled it on Facebook.
It was then removed but as you see some people were able to get a screenshot.

sniper said:
BullsFan22 said:
sniper said:
@bullsfan, check diggers tweet. He just got his sorry *** exposed.

LOL. I was just able to open it. I hope that gets relayed to him.
Apparently George Shaw (Raleigh team manager) kept a team diary.
His son recently spilled it on Facebook.
It was then removed but as you see some people were able to get a screenshot.

yup is in one of my FB groups :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Somebody on Twitter poked Phill Liggett with it and he responded "paul was completely exonerated at the time. Nothing further to say".
That can be taken as a confirmation.

Somebody should go ask John herety if hes going to claim that gold medal from the british national road championships in 1987.
And exonerated by whom?
Is there a paralell to Sean Yates and his exoneration in 1989?
Just saying, Lots of interesting perspectives to this story.
But ftom the british press I'm not expecting anything and Paul is probably too small a fish to fry, compared to the risks of going after him. Murdoch. British Libel laws, etc.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that classico.
However it's not the end of the page yet. George speaks of a second "doping control issue" in 1984, which apparently was solved with he help of the team budget, too, and so george says he feels the team budget should not be drawn on this time.
I'm not entirely sure if this 'dope control issue' was also Paul's. I guess so, but it's ambiguous.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ebandit said:
....this ain't much of an exposure.........................just sayin'......................

Mark L

What would you prefer?

It is pretty damning from the 1980s!!!!

And considering Sherwen ripped in Riccardo Ricco makes Sherwen a hypocrite as well as a doper!

Cool, so Paul went from doping in 1987 to managing the same team he doped on in 1988. Nice way to pass along the knowledge. And grew up in Kenya.

And, here is a Wiki jem on Cookson and Mark Bell, part of the same Raleigh team as Paul:

Brian Cookson, later president of the Union Cycliste Internationale, said: "I remember, as a commissaire, following Mark throughout his successful breakaway to win the national pro road race title in 1986, when he simply rode away from some of the greatest names in the sport."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bell_(cyclist)

The potential narratives are starting to string together for me. Sherwin meets Cookson the commissionaire in the late 80s, forms a connection, perhaps over failed drug tests resolved over pint in a pub, then 25 years later along comes a Kenyan born cyclist who gets a chance with sky. Rather than tossing him away with other failed domestiques, is it possible Paul and Brian saw a story they could sell and tell, then had experiments done with different juices and voila, alien was born. Of course this is complete conjecture, but given this is cycling, lord knows.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
What event on the British cycling calendar was in Northamptonshire in June 1987?

What are these three events on Sherwen's 1987 race schedule?

- "Westminster"
- "Porth"
- "Gala RR"

The Northamptonshire race was almost certainly a town-centre criterium in Northampton itself. Back then British pros rode little else. (The Northampton round was sponsored by Michelin in 1985, there is even a clip on YouTube!)

I think the 'Gala RR' was another criterium, held in Southport. The Southport Gala races were a long standing fixture on the calendar, held at the end of the season.

Porth is actually Porthcawl, Bridgend in south Wales, near Cardiff. The same event was won by Phil Thomas in 1986, then riding for ANC Halfords.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Anyway, the [Somewhere] Gala Road Race must have been an event that an elite team such as Raleigh would attend. And all three races must have included prize money.

A possible explanation for the small amount of the prizes could be :splitting the money between Raleigh teammates at the event(s).
Maybe, or more likely that was all that was on offer. I know a few British 'pros' from those days and many rode for nothing more than a bike and a jersey!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Random Direction said:
Cool, so Paul went from doping in 1987 to managing the same team he doped on in 1988.
indeed.
it's funny how the most vigorous dopers tend to stick around and have long careers in cycling.

underwhelming?
paul is underwhelming.
failed the IQ test twice. Double facepalm.

Time for Dopeology.org to update the Raleigh files.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm putting a question mark behind him testing positive at a criterium. As far as I am aware, especially in the 70s and 80s, there would hardly be any (serious) antidoping testing. (Do correct me if wrong)
And it says "doping control issue" in George's notes, which is ambiguous.
Maybe Paul did a Phil Andersen*?

(*Phil Andersen was suspended in 1978 for failing to show up at an antidoping test after the Coors Classic. The beauty of that case is that Phil didn't know the testing at the Coors Classic was rigged anyway: samples were collected but then thrown away.)

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
And then, Sherwen was caught positive for which drugs?
Erythropoetin was not on the scene, there were no tests for transfusions, of course not blood doping.
Steven Rooks said a lot of guys in those years (including himself) were on both testosterone and amphetamine ...
I do know some of the riders who were in the UK pro scene at the time, and worked the pits at a couple of the pro crits. (The main ones, which were sponsored by Kellogs, were even televised, a first for the UK.)

From what I heard, I would have thought that the drugs tested for would have been those that were known to be widely abused and were cheap to test for, mainly amphetamine and ephedrine (used in conjunction with caffeine). Going by the guys I knew such use was far from universal, but still common.

All in all it was a bit of a circus, and lots of riders wanted to be part of the scene just because they were 'Pros' and the criteriums were on TV. Hence you had a few guys who were third cats taking out pro licences and then getting dropped on the first lap in every event, thereafter riding around on their own and been lapped every 5 minutes.

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site

This diary, if authentic, is the proof that Sherwen was on a team-sponsored doping programme for his national championship victories and other races.

It doesn't read like that to me. It looks like they paid solicitors fees in relation to his first positive test, but the team manager is saying he doesn't think they should be coughing up for the second infringement. That doesn't sound like team sponsored doping, more like Sherwen was doing his own thing and the manager was annoyed he got caught twice and expected the team to help him sort it out.

abc987 said:
This diary, if authentic, is the proof that Sherwen was on a team-sponsored doping programme for his national championship victories and other races.

It doesn't read like that to me. It looks like they paid solicitors fees in relation to his first positive test, but the team manager is saying he doesn't think they should be coughing up for the second infringement. That doesn't sound like team sponsored doping, more like Sherwen was doing his own thing and the manager was annoyed he got caught twice and expected the team to help him sort it out.

All depends on how one defines sponsored. I'd call this case more team condoned than sponsored - Paul was expected to test negative, not be clean. The troubling part was that immediately after the positives he became manager, most likely then transmitting the same expectations to those then racing.

Basically a part of the corrupt cycling system, and now doing play by play on it - knowing exactly what is underneath the surface.

Paul, since you are probably reading this, perhaps you might answer what exactly you tested positive for, why you got cleared and how in heavens name you failed the IQ test twice in such short a time.

TRENDING THREADS