• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peloton faves & foes: Colours. Mast. Nail.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2013
Visit site
Riders I particularly like include: Aru, Betancur, Boom, Boonen, Cavendish, Chavanel, Contador, Costa, Degenkolb, Gilbert, Hoogerland, Hushovd, Kwiatkowski, Martin D, Martin T, Moser, Paolini, Petacchi, Phinney, Pinot, Pozzovivo, Quintana, Samu, CAS, Stannard, Štybar, Terpstra, Uran, Vanmarcke, Wiggins

And it was good to see Emma Pooley mentioned above. I'll add her too, but it feels like it's cheating because she's a friend and we used to train together.

Dislike: Froome, Horner, Sagan. Also Rogers and Valverde, but neither as much as those three.

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Faves:
PETER SAGAN. His personality, free-heartedness, bike handling and downhill. Some people say he is cocky and arrogant. But I never noticed he said anything bad about any other cyclist. And he is always friendly to people on streets. When he does things (wheelies, acting at finish), he does it because he wants to make people smiling. His biggist fault is he wins too much ( - not this year)
All Sagan's domestiques, actual or past: espacially Daniel Oss, Timothy Duggan, Ted King, Maciej Bodnar.
Contador, for his attacks.
Tony Martin, still sad about stage, when peloton catch his break few meters before finish.
Štybar, Terpstra, Gilbert, Boonen, Cavendish, Basso, Leopold König.
And Tyler Hamilton and his book.

Foes:
Cancellara.

IF babies, THEN with:
Simon Clarke, he is so sweet in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFcEYzOoUxk (Vuelta 2012, stage 4, winners interview)

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
FAVS:

1. Armstrong 2. Pantani 3. Purito 4. Horner 5. Rolland 6. Quintana 7. Evans 8. Schleck (but if he shoes no heart this year I'm done with him) 9. Thomas 10. To y Martin

Foes: 1.Froome 2. Voeckler 3. Cippo 4. Boonen 5. Hamilton 6. Farrar 7. Van Gardner

Babies: Oleg Tinkoff

Teams: like- Columbia,Tinkoff,Movistar,lampre
Dislike- Sky!! Green edge, katusha, Trek

SergeDeM said:
Favs: All the Colombians, all the Italians, all those that take the vuelta seriously at least once in their career.

Yep, that for me as well. Also the reverse - Spaniards who go for Giro. Or French that go for either (like Gadret or Rolland).

And on the flip side, not the biggest fan of those who only care about the TDF and nothing else especially those who aim only for top 5s eg JVDB.

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Favorites: Oh, it hurts me so to see Peter Sagan being disliked because of his "cocky attitude". I like him for just this reason. Others: Voeckler for his facial grimaces, Kittel for his hair, Purito because he's so damn cute (I'm a girl fan), Swein Tuft because he's Canadian, Rolland (reminds me of The Terminator when he rides up hill in the saddle), Horner (for his bald head and his bad Italian and that he's 42), Greipel (because he can beat Cav once in a while), underdogs, aggressive riders, cyclists who give polite, interesting interviews (Cadel), Cyril Gautier (he works hard at The Tour).

Foes: Froome, Cav, anyones who wins too much, cyclists who are rude when being interviewed, cyclists who don't look at the fans and say hello when signing autographs (yeah, I watch for stuff like that).

Team: Orica GreenEdge

(I'm new to cycling and it's fascinating to read all your comments. I bet I will change my answers in another year when I have learned more about the sport).

wannabecyclist said:
Favorites: Oh, it hurts me so to see Peter Sagan being disliked because of his "cocky attitude". I like him for just this reason. Others: Voeckler for his facial grimaces, Kittel for his hair, Purito because he's so damn cute (I'm a girl fan), Swein Tuft because he's Canadian, Rolland (reminds me of The Terminator when he rides up hill in the saddle), Horner (for his bald head and his bad Italian and that he's 42), Greipel (because he can beat Cav once in a while), underdogs, aggressive riders, cyclists who give polite, interesting interviews (Cadel), Cyril Gautier (he works hard at The Tour).

Foes: Froome, Cav, anyones who wins too much, cyclists who are rude when being interviewed, cyclists who don't look at the fans and say hello when signing autographs (yeah, I watch for stuff like that).

Team: Orica GreenEdge

(I'm new to cycling and it's fascinating to read all your comments. I bet I will change my answers in another year when I have learned more about the sport).

I dont get it?

Who smiles when Sagan does his wheelies? Certainly not me. Nothing to be proud of, actually. Anybody can do a wheelie, even my granny ... Just to say "I'm the best, the most handsome ..." As a junior, this little punk would dismount while crossing the line, turn back and put the hand on his forehead to mean "I don't see anyone coming" At least in cyclocross, Jouffroy settled his score. :)

Okay I like Meeusen but first he doesn't do it all the time and it's for other reasons ...

He wins too much, Sagan?? How many major classics did he win? Wevelgem aside ... Once a race is 200+ km he's out of contention...

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Favourites on the bike: Race animators, quys dominating the race and still able to win, strong personalities ON the bike. Sagan, Boonen, Cancellara, Gilbert, Contador, Nibali, maybe Quintana and Aru in the future. Entertaining riders, reason to watch cycling.
Favourites off the bike: Guys don't talking BS. Cav, Wiggins, even Froome now, Horner was my favourite for that reason (after Vuelta I'm in doubts).

Dislike on the bike: Guys following the others all the race and outsprinting them in the finale (so called "smart" racing). Gerrans, Ciolek, Kristoff, Degenkolb (and I forgot some of them I'm sure).
Dislike off the bike: Nobody in this category.

Any team comments: Belgians are always fine :) Slovak team farce every WC.

Personal note: I'm a bit surprised by how many people dislike Sagan here, I am sure he deserves more "likes" for the way he races. Obviously something irritating with him or around him (I don't care too much about riders off the bike, so I know little about his alleged cockiness).

Faves: TV, Quintana, Evans, Dan Martin, Chavanel, Sagan, Tony Martin, Cav, Thomas. Cancellara, Nibali and Purito (sometimes) and, when he isn't being a twerp, Wiggo. I quite enjoyed Cataldo this week.

Queasy about: Froome, Contador, Valverde, Horner

Team: I like Europcar and Garmin... loads of time for Vaughters. Tricky with SKY as I despise the brand but have an interest because of the obvious crossover with British Cycling.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
For that matter:

wayahead said:
Favourites on the bike: [...] Sagan [...]
Dislike on the bike: Guys following the others all the race and outsprinting them in the finale (so called "smart" racing)[...]
Personal note: I'm a bit surprised by how many people dislike Sagan here, I am sure he deserves more "likes" for the way he races.

*cough*

Favourites: Quintana, Cancellara, Gilbert. The one-against-all type of rider.

Foes: Cavendish. He ruins the first week of the Tour by drawing all the attention towards him.

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery on to have his children: I'd make a clone of Eddy Merckx. As Jacques Anquetil once said: the perfect cyclist would have the legs of Merckx, the torso of Merckx and the head of Merckx.

Any team comments: I don't like it when a team can choose which of their riders is allowed to win, like QuickStep sometimes in Paris-Roubaix or Sky in the Tour.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Koba80 said:
I've found a lot of the postings post Stelviogate (unintentionally) very amusing thanks to thinly veiled riderhate/fanboyism.

Obviously, this is only going to get worse in July.

So, I thought we need a place of reference - where do Forum users' allegiances lie?

Current riders only, fill in the following:
------------------------------------------------------------
Favourites:

Foes:

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children:

Any team comments:

Be nice if you included any reasoning, even if it is rabid hatred or blind nationalism.
No judgement must be passed regardless whether someone's like/dislike is Froome, Contador, or a moto-passing Quintana.
Allegiances only is the point.

I started out with Zulle and Once so several metamorphosis later on i am now with Nibali and Astana, but of course i still like ex team mates such as Scarponi and Contador

Foes: The brothers Schleck,( They put the hurt on Alberto and stole his crown and what the did to poor Voeckler was sheer cruelty) :p

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: Thomas Voeckler, he wont give the yellow jersey back like a good boy. He` knows its not really his and never will be. But i do like his `if you want it come and get it attitude.`
Vockler takes the best sport in the world and makes it better.:)

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Favourites:

Purito (fighter, classy climber, seems like a good guy)
Nibali (valentino rossi on the downhill)
Evans (fighter, national hero, Montalcino enough said)
Griepel

special mentions: Cancellara. the one to beat in all flat classics. i'm often supporting someone else to beat him, but he makes the races and is the best.. big respect. Cav for similar reasons

Foes:

Contador, however when he's not racing he's kind of missed. a bit like Vino in that regard

Froome, Wiggins, Ferrari (nutcase)

Rider I'd have gender reallignment surgery to have his children: none (I don't watch cycling out of a fetish for men in lycra)

Any team comments:
OGE annoy me because they're so one dimensional

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess this goes for active riders only. This is not a conclusive list but when I can come up with from the top of my mind.

Fav: Voeckler, Basso, AC (especially when he pulls stuff like Fuente and this years' TA), Nibali, Boonen, Vanmarcke, Samuel Sanchez

Foes: Voeckler (yep, I both hate and love him), Horner, riders who ride entirely based on what there power meters say, riders supported by clueless and arrogant newer fans.

Teams: I miss Euskatel

May 23, 2010
Visit site
top of the list of faves for me is Cadel Evans. - I didn't know a single thing about cycling and then one winter in 2005 I was up late at night, sick and on the TV was the TdF. I had no idea how it worked, how they worked out the leader, nothing, all I knew was there were some Aussies in it so why not start cheering for them. (Cadel Evans, Robbie McEwen etc), I have been cheering him on ever since.

Since then of course I have developed more favs - pretty much everyone on OGE, especially Svein tuft, Pieter Weening, but if they ride for OGE, I will cheer them on. Taylor Phinney, Adam hansen, Quintana, Aru, Rolland, Hesjedal,

I actually like so many riders I can't think, I am pretty much happy to watch almost everyone race as I enjoy cycling, but I have a few strong dislikes.

Dislike with a passion for reasons really unknown except they annoy me

Wiggo, Porte, Sagan, Valverde, kittle,

Fav team is for sure OGE.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Echoes said:
wayahead said:
Favourites on the bike: [...] Cav, [...]
Dislike on the bike: Guys following the others all the race and outsprinting them in the finale (so called "smart" racing)
....cough...
Sorry, but you cut is wrong. Cav is my off-the-bike favourite, not on-the-bike.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
scholar said:
For that matter:
wayahead said:
Favourites on the bike: [...] Sagan [...]
Dislike on the bike: Guys following the others all the race and outsprinting them in the finale (so called "smart" racing)[...]
Personal note: I'm a bit surprised by how many people dislike Sagan here, I am sure he deserves more "likes" for the way he races.

*cough*
I think I'm perfectly consistent. 2013: MSR, G-W, RvV, Quebec, Montreal. 2014: SB, E3, P-R.

I don't count sprint stages here, they have different rules, I think it's obvious.

TRENDING THREADS