• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peloton faves & foes: Colours. Mast. Nail.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
hrotha said:
This should be a good time to mention again that I tend to dislike riders who get a strong nationalistic following.

so that'd include everyone except the americans whose mainstream have lost interest in the sport since Armstrong demise? :rolleyes:

kiilike said:
Faves:
PETER SAGAN. His personality, free-heartedness, bike handling and downhill. Some people say he is cocky and arrogant. But I never noticed he said anything bad about any other cyclist. And he is always friendly to people on streets. When he does things (wheelies, acting at finish), he does it because he wants to make people smiling. His biggist fault is he wins too much ( - not this year)
I guess in fairness, sexual harassment always makes people smile.
wayahead said:
Personal note: I'm a bit surprised by how many people dislike Sagan here, I am sure he deserves more "likes" for the way he races.
Why? People who are super successful generally polarize audiences, especially when they behave with the kind of immaturity he does.

Echoes said:
Who smiles when Sagan does his wheelies? Certainly not me. Nothing to be proud of, actually. Anybody can do a wheelie, even my granny ... Just to say "I'm the best, the most handsome ..." As a junior, this little punk would dismount while crossing the line, turn back and put the hand on his forehead to mean "I don't see anyone coming" At least in cyclocross, Jouffroy settled his score. :)

Lol, brilliant. Any pics or vids? :D

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Why? People who are super successful generally polarize audiences, especially when they behave with the kind of immaturity he does.
Hmm... Accepted :cool: Since I'm older then Horner and thus not looking for role models, I tend to separate racing from off-the-bike behaviour. Yeah, he's immature and a bit self-centered. He could use his popularity by more useful way. Still not enough for me to not enjoy him racing.

wayahead said:
Hmm... Accepted :cool: Since I'm older then Horner and thus not looking for role models, I tend to separate racing from off-the-bike behaviour. Yeah, he's immature and a bit self-centered. He could use his popularity by more useful way. Still not enough for me to not enjoy him racing.

I find it refreshing to see someone who just does what he does and can't be bothered being a rolemodel.

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
As a junior, this little punk would dismount while crossing the line, turn back and put the hand on his forehead to mean "I don't see anyone coming"

Something like this would make me laugh. He's doing this to entertain the crowd. Lighten up, Sagan haters. :D

wannabecyclist said:
Something like this would make me laugh. He's doing this to entertain the crowd. Lighten up, Sagan haters. :D

When your taking the pee out of your competitors every time you cross the line 1st I doubt most of the peleton see it as a joke. It's no coincidence he has failed to win so many races he has targeted as most now ride just so he doesn't win.

wannabecyclist said:

This is how you have to celebrate a victory: humility, simplicity. When you win you win and we know that you win ...

4c7d.jpg

By the way, no, I don't have pictures of it. I heard comments about it on the RTBF

It changes a bit but these days...

Like: Contador, Valverde, Uran, Horner, Terpstra, Nairo, Arredondo, Ulissi, Greipel, GvA, Nibali, Cancellara, Talansky, Samu, Cobo, Mara Abbott, Katie Compton, Nys, Stybar, Purito, Duarte, Bling, Berhane, Betancur, Tekle

Dislike: Cav, Boonen, Wiggins, Froome, Degenkolb, Demare, Gilbert, Andy Schleck, Bos, Farrar

Don't really cheer for teams other than Movistar

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
I guess this goes for active riders only. This is not a conclusive list but when I can come up with from the top of my mind.

Fav: Voeckler, Basso, AC (especially when he pulls stuff like Fuente and this years' TA), Nibali, Boonen, Vanmarcke, Samuel Sanchez

Foes: Voeckler (yep, I both hate and love him), Horner, riders who ride entirely based on what there power meters say, riders supported by clueless and arrogant newer fans.

Teams: I miss Euskatel

I always thought Voeckler was like marmite, you either love the guy or loathe him. How on earth do you manage to do both.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
xanadu said:
I always thought Voeckler was like marmite, you either love the guy or loathe him. How on earth do you manage to do both.

I'm not the person you asked, but I feel similarly about him, which is why he's not on either of my lists. So this is my answer, which might be different from climber's: I like the fact that he's willing to attack, to animate a race, and I appreciate the tenacity with which he fought to keep the maillot jaune in 2004 and 2011. I both like and loathe the face-pulling, in that it's quite funny, but also fairly irritating. In disliking him I think I'm partly influenced by the fact that he's apparently disliked in the peloton, particularly by people with whom he spends time in breaks, presumably because of the constant changes of tempo.

I guess the reasons I like him are often the same reasons I (and others) dislike him.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Hardly. I was pointing out the paradox of liking Kittel and Sagan whilst disliking riders who win too much. Last season Sagan won more than any other rider whilst Kittel came in 3rd. How is that Trolling?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't accusing you of trolling, but the person to whom you were responding.

TRENDING THREADS