• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Petacchi / Salbutamol Rethink?

WOW!

I quit racing in the summer (well, performing to any level at least) becaue of dependibility to Salbutamol. My countryside doc wouldn't help or refer me properly.
Does this mean I don't have to go through the procss of getting my use formalized with WADA? I can do sports on once 200mg, but ideally I used 400mg to not be stuck with some breathing issues. It lasts for about 2 hours of hard racing, after that the trouble can come back.

Cloxxki said:
WOW!

I quit racing in the summer (well, performing to any level at least) becaue of dependibility to Salbutamol. My countryside doc wouldn't help or refer me properly.
Does this mean I don't have to go through the procss of getting my use formalized with WADA? I can do sports on once 200mg, but ideally I used 400mg to not be stuck with some breathing issues. It lasts for about 2 hours of hard racing, after that the trouble can come back.

Sure does. I might be able to breathe fully next year too! :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Could it be WADA actually listens to cyclists?

They have upped the legal level of asthma medication Salbutamol.

Petacchi always maintained he was suspended for a very small error in 2008.
A test done on Petacchi's sample showed that he didn't inhale the Salbutamol, so it was taken intravenously or orally both of which are prohibited. However the test hadn't gone through the WADA certification process so it wasn't admissible at his hearing.

You'll see that the new List says anything over 1000 ng/mL is still a doping violation unless the athlete can prove it was inhaled.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
If non-asthmatics want to abuse that stuff and spend the entire night pacing the floors of their house with no chance of sleeping, go right ahead! By all means!

BotanyBay said:
If non-asthmatics want to abuse that stuff and spend the entire night pacing the floors of their house with no chance of sleeping, go right ahead! By all means!

Well, in the 90s a bunch of people with perfectly fine blood were more than happy to pace the floors in fear of sleeping - somebody's bound to go ahead! By all means (possible)...

Don't hold your breath (sorry, couldn't help it :))