• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ale Jet is falling further and further, and I don't think he will be coming up again.
Question is, will Cav be appointed the green jersey of the Tour after Petacchi's arrest?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Question is, will Cav be appointed the green jersey of the Tour after Petacchi's arrest?

I think no... it will be the same as the 2008 kom Kohl won and they just have no winner.... also I asked what would happen if they take all of petacchis results out of the tour and someone added it up and i think thor might win the green jersey that way :S which i would find very funny..

luckyboy said:
First thing that sprang to mind was that he shouldn't be all that worried if he's innocent.

I would love to think that all courts are truly impartial and the only thing that matters is guilt and innocence, but come on. I think that any athlete facing potential doping charges has to be prepared for a suspension as very few seem to avoid it so just hearing your name bantered about has to be alarming.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Ale Jet is falling further and further, and I don't think he will be coming up again.

No, won't happen, I don't think any jersey has been later awarded to another rider, unless he tested positive during the race. Even if the green jersey is awarded to another rider, it would be Hushovd (another member did the math)

Highlander said:
I would love to think that all courts are truly impartial and the only thing that matters is guilt and innocence, but come on. I think that any athlete facing potential doping charges has to be prepared for a suspension as very few seem to avoid it so just hearing your name bantered about has to be alarming.

Yeah, you'd feel alarmed but surely I can't see investigators being that corrupt against someone who is innocent.

Highlander said:

I'm getting all misty-eyed thinking of the mental anguish he's going through. The cross he must bear and all that... :rolleyes:

"My team did a good job, so I’m disappointed. I’m in the points jersey, so that’s ok but I can send congratulations to Petacchi. He’s a great guy.”

Seems Mr Cavendish doesn't have a problem with Italian sprinters who dope, just Italian climbers.:rolleyes:

It's like a parasite coming back into the sport
The passion that I and other riders have for a beautiful sport, and for someone not to give a **** about it, it's incredibly demoralising to have to compete against people like that.

A

Anonymous

just a question.. from that article

"Petacchi has been accused of using PFC (Perfluorocarbon), which boosts the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood without raising haematocrit level, and human serum albumin, which can be used to reduce haematocrit levels artificially."

Why would you want to lower your haematocrit?

TeamSkyFans said:

"Petacchi has been accused of using PFC (Perfluorocarbon), which boosts the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood without raising haematocrit level, and human serum albumin, which can be used to reduce haematocrit levels artificially."

If you have 10-15 minutes notice, you can "adjust" things to the proper level.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Does this mean that the values will show as being lower without there being any actual decrease in red blood cell volume? Or is this an actual decrease that will allow the rider to top up with fresh blood?

My understanding was that riders rode the stage with an elevated Hct and then afterwards they would use saline solution, albumin or lactate ringer to lower the crit before the test.

From this article about Willy Voet: To avoid detection of EPO in the event of a surprise test during a race, Voet would prepare IV bags of saline solution, wrap them in towels and hide them under the cyclists' beds. If hit with an unexpected test, a cyclist had just enough time to suspend the IV bag from a bicycle spoke bent into the shape of an S and hooked over a door, attach a tube to the bag and put the IV needle into a vein in his arm. In 20 minutes the saline solution would bring his hematocrit value (the ratio of red blood cell volume to total blood volume) below the legal limit of 50%.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Seems Mr Cavendish doesn't have a problem with Italian sprinters who dope, just Italian climbers.:rolleyes:
Difference is that while Ricco had actually been caught and banned, Petacchi has not been charged with anything. Seeing as Cavendish has to ride the same roads as Petacchi for the time being, it would be foolish of Cav to slag him off until he actually is shown to be guilty?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Errr, would you like me to explain what tacit means, or can you google?

can't see anyting tacit in there either.

Maybe if he had said "The cycling world is changing and maybe it is time for guys like me to retire" then you could read between the lines there.

Can't see anything different from his quotes than those of any of the others who are being investigated and never admit to doping

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Albumin is a protein that increases oncotic pressure. It's used to lower hct without affecting your RBC mass.

TRENDING THREADS