• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Janssen - 'Bloedvorm' Ex-Vacansoleil (?)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Vacansoleil has issued a 'gag order' for all employees of the team regarding the dismissal of the team doctor Peter Janssen.

Apparently, I am not entirely sure, but it would surely explain his dismissal, he also wrote this book published July 2009 'Bloedvorm', which literally translates in 'blood form', but is a dutch way of saying 'being in the best shape imaginable'. It's a clinical and literature study of the oxygen transportation/delivery capacity of blood, and discusses EPO (quoting 8-12% increase of performance), but also altitude training, hyperbaric (?) tents, blood doping, ozon therapy, 'fake' blood, astma, boosting, blood deficiencies and hematocrit

a quote:

Goed gedoseerd is EPO voor patiënten en voor sporters een uiterst veilig medicijn. Bij onoordeelkundig gebruik van EPO kunnen er zeker ongelukken voorkomen maar dat is niet bijzonder. Dat kan met bijna elk medicijn.

Well dosed, EPO is an extremely safe medicine for patients and athletes alike. Unprofessional use of EPO can lead to accidents, but that is nothing special. That applies to many medications

Het boek is geschreven, voor in de eerste plaats, sporters die vroeg of laat met EPO worden geconfronteerd. Voor sportartsen en wielerartsen die nog vaak schromelijk tekort schieten in hun kennis over EPO. Voor artsen die met EPO werken en geen benul hebben van de sportpraktijk. Ik denk dat ze er van kunnen leren. Als leerboek voor studenten aan sportacademies en voor studenten bewegingswetenschappen. En tenslotte als naslagwerk voor sportjournalisten om de ingewikkelde materie beter te kunnen begrijpen en er daardoor beter onderbouwd over te kunnen schrijven.

The book is written, firstly, for athletes who will be faced with EPO sooner or later. Secondly, for sport doctors and cycling doctors who often seriously lack any knowledge of EPO and have no idea of the sports practice. I think they will be able to learn from this book. It's also intended as a study book for students in sports science etc. And as a reference work for sportjournalists, to better understand the complicated substance, so that they can improve the quality of coverage/reporting

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
beat me to it :)

hehe, fast typer ;)

But seriously, rather unsettling news, and not too surprising then if VAC got rid of him. On the other hand, it seems as if he actually gives an inside look into the world of cycling from a medical perspective if he wrote the book 'to inform those who sooner or later will be faced with EPO'...

Could also be a stunt though, I don't know what to think of it yet...