Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

toolittle said:
After review yesterday race, I confirmed that Sagan will rule coming cobble stone races.

Altitude Training just completed before Strade Bianche, strong form will arrive around MSR and keep for a month.
His team is strong collectively. I think they are stronger than QS.

Daniel Oss, Marcus Burghardt and Gregor Mühlberger have showed their hands.
Aleksejs Saramotins and Rüdiger Selig are also capable.
For races like MSR, Peter Kennaugh and Sam Bennett will provide big engine.
I'm not sure his form will improve a lot more. Last year he went directly from altitude training to Omloop where he was already in as good as any point in the spring classics.
 
Looked to me like Sagan is playing the long game. Teach his opponents that just waiting for his move could be detrimental for their chances. Make them wonder about his strength, thus giving him just a tiny bit more leeway for his big targets. Dunno, just a thought ..
 
Carstenbf said:
Looked to me like Sagan is playing the long game. Teach his opponents that just waiting for his move could be detrimental for their chances. Make them wonder about his strength, thus giving him just a tiny bit more leeway for his big targets. Dunno, just a thought ..
I don't know, that doesn't sound like Sagan at all. He's always showing how good he is. I'm pretty sure he wasn't that strong yesterday.
 
frisenfruitig said:
Carstenbf said:
Looked to me like Sagan is playing the long game. Teach his opponents that just waiting for his move could be detrimental for their chances. Make them wonder about his strength, thus giving him just a tiny bit more leeway for his big targets. Dunno, just a thought ..
I don't know, that doesn't sound like Sagan at all. He's always showing how good he is. I'm pretty sure he wasn't that strong yesterday.
Just a little correction, He's always showing how good he is but the WC. And he's WC three times in a row. Maybe he noticed something. And maybe he really was not feeling good. And maybe, and maybe, ... . And maybe as it was said before, he just wants his opponents to have these "maybe" assumption.

The only thing that's certain is, that we will have had the answers in 5 weeks time.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
it was his first race after a training camp and he still was better than his "cobbled rivals". he could have finish higher if he had been good tactically.
 
tomorrow said:
frisenfruitig said:
Carstenbf said:
Looked to me like Sagan is playing the long game. Teach his opponents that just waiting for his move could be detrimental for their chances. Make them wonder about his strength, thus giving him just a tiny bit more leeway for his big targets. Dunno, just a thought ..
I don't know, that doesn't sound like Sagan at all. He's always showing how good he is. I'm pretty sure he wasn't that strong yesterday.
Just a little correction, He's always showing how good he is but the WC. And he's WC three times in a row. Maybe he noticed something. And maybe he really was not feeling good. And maybe, and maybe, ... . And maybe as it was said before, he just wants his opponents to have these "maybe" assumption.

The only thing that's certain is, that we will have had the answers in 5 weeks time.
Obviously I can't know for sure but I think that if he had the legs to win he wouldn't have raced the way he did yesterday and considering this is a pretty prestigeous race which he hasn't won yet I find it hard to imagine he was "playing the long game".

And let's be real: he's Sagan. Even if people think he isn't in top shape they will still look at him and be on his wheel.
 
Just today, I looked at the profiles of T-A. The puncher stages seem to be a little tougher this year. I'm quite curious, how Sagan will do in stage 3 and 5 and if the final climbs won't be too tough for him. If he really wants to challenge the WC for 4th time, he should be doing well here already, because in Insbruck it will be even tougher.
 
The Trevi stage is too tough for Sagan but I think he can survive stage 5.

But since all the best puncheurs (Valverde, Alaphilippe, Martin, Henao, Poels, Teuns, Wellens, Vuillermoz and Gallopin.) are absent, it's hard to judge who is gonna win those stages.

I'd go with Adam Yates for stage 3 and Haas for stage 5. But Sagan could win stage 5 if it is raced conservatively.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Re:

El Pistolero said:
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
Clearly taken out of context or he did incorrectly express himself ... perhaps he meant that he couldn't do any better today and that he did not win today does not bother him but at least the fans enjoyed the race which is more important.
 
Re:

El Pistolero said:
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
Assuming that what people tell to the media is what they actually think or how they actually feel is one of the biggest logical fallacies of today.
 
Re:

El Pistolero said:
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
He's starting to sound like a certain Spanish ex rider, "wins are out of reach for me, the show is more important" :D :lol: :lol:
 
Re: Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
El Pistolero said:
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
He's starting to sound like a certain Spanish ex rider, "wins are out of reach for me, the show is more important" :D :lol: :lol:
Those are fundamentally different. Anyway, I like Sagan, but he's been trying a bit too hard lately
 
Oct 2, 2017
24
2
1,585
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
wheresmybrakes said:
El Pistolero said:
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
He's starting to sound like a certain Spanish ex rider, "wins are out of reach for me, the show is more important" :D :lol: :lol:
Those are fundamentally different. Anyway, I like Sagan, but he's been trying a bit too hard lately
What do you mean?
He is racing, that's it.
 
Jul 1, 2013
110
0
0
Re: Re:

PeterB said:
El Pistolero said:
When I hear Sagan say "wins are nothing to me, the show is more important" all I can think of is what an insecure loser this guy really is lol.

His reaction after he lost in M-SR and G-W last year clearly contradict his statement that wins mean nothing to him.

Is this some kind of coping mechanism for him or what?.
Assuming that what people tell to the media is what they actually think or how they actually feel is one of the biggest logical fallacies of today.
Exactly :) What else should he do to look like a guy who wants to win every race he participate?
 
Mar 26, 2017
225
44
3,080
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
"I don't care about the victories, it's more about the show"

Oh please, I don't even wanna read that article. Thats pretty much why I never will be able to like or root for Sagan..
Yes, it's better to root for riders who prefer to win at all costs ;)
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
"I don't care about the victories, it's more about the show"

Oh please, I don't even wanna read that article. Thats pretty much why I never will be able to like or root for Sagan..
yeah... we should root for the uphill sprinters (in big races) :confused:
 
Re:

d-s3 said:
I enjoyed that read very much. Thanks for posting!

Google translate:
This Wednesday Alberto Contador was premiered as a commentator on Eurosport, specifically the Tirreno Adriatico, a competition he has played three times and won in 2014.

The start of the 'Race of the 2 Seas' was a team time trial, in which BMC has flown to achieve victory. At the moment in which Peter Sagan and his Bora began to compete, Alberto Contador has undone in praise for the three-time world champion.

Seeing that Sagan dropped down as the last unit of the team at the beginning, he half-jokingly pointed out that he was doing it so that he would not take out his teammates with an infernal rhythm, going on to praise the figure of his teammate in the Tinkoff .

"Does things that seem easy, but are very difficult"

"Peter Sagan is the best talent I've seen. It's a super class, capable of doing amazing things. For me it has been an honor and a pleasure to share equipment with him ". It was a time when the person who was the highest leader of the team (crazy Oleg? :D ) always seemed to take sides with Sagan, but Alberto recalled that "we got along really well. For me it was a plus to ride with him. He was a perfect rider, especially generous. "

And he added: "He is one of the cyclists that you enjoy watching (doing) things that seem easy, but that are very difficult, almost impossible to do for any other rider".
 
As we saw last July, Sagan has a big fan base, mostly in his home country. The punk immature behavior is hard to forget, but he was young. OK.

He should stop the flamboyant stuff...and win. He's the most talented rider that I have seen since Hinault, but now he's a clown. Win baby, win.
 
Sep 28, 2015
47
3
2,585
Tonton said:
As we saw last July, Sagan has a big fan base, mostly in his home country. The punk immature behavior is hard to forget, but he was young. OK.

He should stop the flamboyant stuff...and win. He's the most talented rider that I have seen since Hinault, but now he's a clown. Win baby, win.
You want him to be somebody else, that won't happen.

While he does not appear to be very smart, but he has the wisdom to see the wider picture:
1) this sport (no, every sport), is at the end an entertainment for the fans. Many for whatever reasons refuse to see that. ( Yes, many sports, including cycling and e.g. football have a strong participatory element. Still, looking from sufficiently far away, the primary purpose of the top cyclists/footballers is to entertain/inspire the masses.)

2) He gets more recognition/fans/$$ by riding with panache (and providing show for the fans) and winning some, then by being focused only on wins (riding conservatively, skipping the showy stuff) and winning a bit more.

At the end, he should be winning more, but very often (much more than any other rider) he is put into impossible situation (remember his Tour de France with 5 breakaways in a row, and not a single win?) .

Be happy that he is riding the way he is riding ... otherwise the sport will be much more boring. There were already voices before Strade Bianche that the early season races were very underwhelming ... guess what? Sagan was not there to animate them...

Btw, Sagan's fan base is way beyond his (quite small) home country ... and for a good reason. And many of his detractors are from the fans of riders (e.g. Alaphilippe) overshadoved by Sagan...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY