Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 220 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is comparable to Boonen, but was midguided unfortunately.
comparable in what, the prospects what he could be, or the palmares? Because yes, after maturing, he should have become another Boonen and Cancellara. But he has not, and I doubt he will. At first, when he actually matched Boonen and Cancellara physicaly, was not yet ready mentally, hard to say if he's now.
When Tommeke and Spartakus ended their careers, as far as the pure strength is concered, there was nobody matching him, however, he was just outnumbered by reasonably strong racers. Boonen and Cancellara actually profited from each other, because they were aproximately on the same level, and together with their teams could defy attacks of quantity. Attacks like the one of Terpstra in E3 and later Gilbert in Flanders would just not be successful, or would not even happen.
Nowadays, even in top shape, there will be stronger riders like MvdP or WvA, but I am afraid the even Pogacar would be stronger in Flanders. And there's also the Pidcock guy, who has not yet been fully concentrated on spring classics campaign for now.
If guys like Sagan Naesen, GvA, ... are to win something, i think it will just be only due tu MvdP, WvA and Pidcock cancelling each other. For Sagan, there could be chance on some route friendly world championships, because the bigger teams have usually too many rainbow candidates among themselfves, which Sagan has banked already 3 times.

I just can't believe he actually managed a 7th place in this race. A slightly better position for the sprint and he could even have taken a medal.

That must be his best climbing performance of the year.
Actually, as per the following photo borrowed from the main thread he probably had the best position possible, right on Laporte's wheel with 350m to go, just didn't have much left for the actual sprint

ASK THE COMMUNITY