• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 231 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
1) Sagan was crazy good from a younger age and was at a high level for many years, maybe more than anyone else in peloton.
2) Sagan and MvdP are completely different riders. You have never seen Sagan race like MvdP at the Tirreno-Adriatico/TdF. When Sagan took part in a stage race or GT he was constantly competing for stage wins. He was super-consistent. He raced a lot and had crazy stats like being in the top 3 in over 43% of his racedays in one year, or over top 10 in 60% racedays..
3)This kind of racing throughout the year is not only physically demanding, but also mentally. And he did it for a decade. The fact that at 33 he is already burnt out and has little motivation is not surprising.
This is how I see his career, too. He was also under a lot of public scrutiny, partly because of his own unique personality, and when the big wins stopped he was unable to accept an elder statesman role.

How do you reckon he will be remembered achievements-wise? He has done enough to be clearly distanced from Zabel and will probably be remembered as a greater rider than Freire.

But how will he fare against the classicomano's of his age and right before?

I hesitate to place Sagan on Boonen or Cancellara's level though he obviously was at least as talented.

I think Sagan will be kind of like Valverde. High on all sorts of rankings due to his amazing consistency yet not elevated beyond the other greats of their generation.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think in 2017 was sagans best year. Even better than 2016. The results were better in 2016 but in 2017 he was even stronger in my opinion. He had bad luck in the big classics and at the tour.

I was so angry when the british mafia kicked Sagan out of the Tour just because a rider from a team linked to the corrupt UCI president hit the barrier. There were so many stages in 2017 that would have been perfect for Sagan. He could easily have won 3-4 TdF stages that year

Sagan will be remembered in our household as the absolute super star that I watched in awe as he flew around the course in Philadelphia.. looked like he could have done double the distance without a problem.
Sagan also signed a cycling cap which is in our house from Tour of California and he signed 2 people's T-shirts that were in our large group at the race finish in Mission Bay..there is also a large statue of Bill Walton there.. an ex NBA great who is a cycling advocate and enthusiast who lives in San Diego not far from Sagan victory spot..
I love his bump and run style and the way nobody can take a wheel if he wants it.. and he found a way to get it done..
I am trying to erase seeing him during the MTB race look like he was pushing a 53x11 and could barely turn it over.. watching from my sofa he made me feel tired and my legs hurt..He is not giving me the feeling like he is going to be in team direction, management or anything..

Said it before, Sagan was an immense talent, but I dont think his palmares quite match his talent level, especially in the monuments. I appreciate he was marked heavily a lot of the time, but so were a lot of the greats. Flanders and Roubaix once, that's it.

He was hyped massively even before he won a single Worlds, primarily down to the fact he did well at the Tour and was very marketable especially in the US where he was the golden ticket for Cannondale. I was at the Worlds in Richmond and he was by far the most popular rider on the roadside.

Hasn't really done anything since he joined Total Energie, but then you remember how he came through so young so been at the top for over 10 years. Like others have said, has had a few personal problems the last few years so hope he gets sorted.

How do you reckon he will be remembered achievements-wise? He has done enough to be clearly distanced from Zabel and will probably be remembered as a greater rider than Freire.

I hesitate to place Sagan on Boonen or Cancellara's level though he obviously was at least as talented.

I think Sagan will be kind of like Valverde. High on all sorts of rankings due to his amazing consistency yet not elevated beyond the other greats of their generation.
Hard to say yet. In some ways he reminds me of MvdP with some epic wins in huge races, and he was the most charismatic rider in the peloton for about 5 years - he was always someone to watch, win or lose. He was more versatile than boonen/canc but not as dominant. His physiology was more like Wout's but he definitely wasn't going to be doing donkey duty in the mountains, even though he was certainly capable of it.

Reactions: gunara
Hard to say yet. In some ways he reminds me of MvdP with some epic wins in huge races, and he was the most charismatic rider in the peloton for about 5 years - he was always someone to watch, win or lose. He was more versatile than boonen/canc but not as dominant. His physiology was more like Wout's but he definitely wasn't going to be doing donkey duty in the mountains, even though he was certainly capable of it.
Sagan has done it a couple times for Nibali, Contador, and Kreuziger though not day after day like WVA. It was just hard with Contador crashing or doing the double. Sagan also did huge work for Kreuziger to get him into the top 10 in 2016.

He doesn't have a good direct parallel but has some elements of different riders.

I think he was the only superstar of an era in which Froome was the impopular GT top dog. To some degree his stardom seems a little bit like prime Boonen to me.

As a classics rider he was has either underperformed or is overrated, with the WC where he vastly overperformed is the only exception. Sagan was no doubt best as a stage hunter, and especially outside the GTs it's easy to forget how unbelievably hard Sagan could farm races like Switserland or California.

Peter Sagan's downfall can best be expressed using the metric of dpp (days-per-page) (Wilson et al., 2016).

This thread was made on 10/06/2012.
It took until 20/07/2015 to reach 50 pages (=22,7 dpp).
It took until 22/11/2016 to reach 100 pages (=9,82 dpp),
It took until 08/04/2018 to reach 150 pages (=10,04 dpp).
It took until 07/04/2021 to reach 200 pages (=21,9 dpp).
It took until 14/08/2023 to reach 231 pages (=27,71 dpp).

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Peter Sagan's downfall can best be expressed using the metric of dpp (days-per-page) (Wilson et al., 2016).

I still don't understand why it took him two and a half years to get a thread...

I still don't understand why it took him two and a half years to get a thread...
To be fair he did have one in 2011.
Back then the format of one discussion thread per cyclist was not as established yet.

Profile view ranking on PCS - https://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics.php?year=2016&filter=Filter&p=start&s=most-popular
2016 - 1st (almost twice as many views as the second Valverde)
2017 - 1st
2018 - 1st
2019 - 1st
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 5th
2022 - 8th
2023 - 16th (considering that he has no results, 16th place is not bad)

Latest posts