• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugo87 said:
He's still going to enter in Tour of California and probably some other race before the Tour, so not much rest at all.

But the green jersey he's waiting for him again.

Yes, even if he is "over raced" I still think he will win the green jersey at the Tour. The green jersey competition is just so well suited to his strengths. I don't know how much people will be able to compete with him for it, even if he is a little off from last year. Well, I was thinking of one rider who might, but he'll be riding support for Kittel.

Jspear said:
Yes, even if he is "over raced" I still think he will win the green jersey at the Tour. The green jersey competition is just so well suited to his strengths. I don't know how much people will be able to compete with him for it, even if he is a little off from last year. Well, I was thinking of one rider who might, but he'll be riding support for Kittel.

If Kittel takes the same ammount of flat finishes as last year and Degenkolb will take from Sagan some of the uphill finish, itermediate sprints and hilly stages the defence of green could be very problematic this year but in favour of Kittel not Degenkolb i think.

del1962 said:
BMC would be best, then of your list Sky though others teams perhaps like Trek or Giant might be better, not sure about Alonso

I doubt Tinkoff would be any better than Cannondale
You get the impression Tinkoff is ready to open the checkbook in the next couple of seasons though.
Afrank said:
Van Summeren and Nuyens haven't really been setting the cobbles alight since their big wins, have they? They might be able to do a decent job as domestiques (they would have to improve from their current level, especially Nuyens), but other teams like BMC or Sky would be able to provide better quality and higher level of domestique for him.

Plus, not sure Garmin could afford Sagan.

I just don't see Garmin willing to make Sagan the focus of their team. It doesn't seem to mesh with their style and philosophy.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
I just don't see Garmin willing to make Sagan the focus of their team. It doesn't seem to mesh with their style and philosophy.

By not meshing with their style and philosophy, do you mean regularly winning races and being a bad@ss? 'Cause then I totally agree.

Pretty much :p

They just don't seem like the team for a rider with the charisma and uber talent of Sagan - a rider that is going to be the clear cut "top dog" of a team. Maybe if one came up through the system but I have a hard time seeing it in a hired gun type scenario.

That said, nothing surprises me too much when it comes to pro cycling.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Sagan's classics season is over and we saw that unlimited progress is not granted even for him. We saw him to be under his 2013 level and sometimes maybe even under his 2012 level (when he was more successful in sprints after long distances). Something was not right during winter and maybe his head is not ok as well (contract issues and health problems of his mum). But "thanks" to his worse form we are able to see his weaks (or points to improve) - last year's super-form was like masking agent. We discussed here several points and this is my summary after P-R:

1. Long distance is not his problem to be in the mix or to try something. In P-R he was able to attack alone twice with 35 and 20 km to go.

2. But his problem is sprint after long distances, he can't rely on his kick or speed after 250+ km. We will see later in the season what sprinter he really is in the shorter races (his sprint in 2012 was better than in 2013, but every season is different).

3. His weaks are hard cobbles sections at the end of the long races. He is regularly dropped on Oude Kwaremont. At P-R we could see Sagan making seconds on the road and subsequently losing time on 4* and 5* pave (headwind in both cases). This was mentioned already in 2012: "He sits high and forward, meaning his centre of gravity makes his bounce and often loses control of his bike on the pave." Of course, when you are in super-form, everything is easier.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sagan-names-milano-sanremo-as-his-first-goal-of-2013

4. I am not sure how to judge his strategy and tactic. Some of you mentioned he should conserve his energy more. His GM is essentially saying he was not smart enough during P-R.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/news/cannondale-manager-says-sagan-work-monument-win_324241
I personally dont take this fascination by "new" Cancellara. I want Sagan to be Sagan and not worse version of Degenkolb, sitting-and-waiting-for-sprint-finish. Not even to say it wouldn't work in Sagan's case this year (see point 2).

5. His team support. Discussed many times. Too soon on his own on most occasions.

Jspear said:

I think Kristoff dreams of competing, Sagan should still win it, but hopefully Kristoff is willing to go into some breakaways to grab points and at least make it a contest.

Even then I'm a bit disappointed in what he showed today.
Or didn't show at all.

The lenght was just right for him, but he seemed almost empty. Too many sprints against Kittel surely, but I don't know I'm starting to doubt many of his choices because winning so little for such a monster...it's just not right at all.

luckyboy said:
2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 4th so far.

Excluding breakaways, its possible to be in the top 5 for the next two stages and maybe even 8 & 9 as well. Crazy.
Wonder what is the longest run in the top 5 a rider has had?

Nobody cares about top five places. OK he is still over 33% rate in the podium placement on the Tour , which is quite impressive, but I am afraid the only thinks that really matters is the stage win.

Unfortunately he is locked in this chase for Zabel record.

Sagan is amazing, but he probably won't want to set the record for most green jersey points without a stage win. At his current pace, he could probably chill for the last two weeks and take home the green jersey and the lanterne rouge.

SeriousSam said:
Sagan's versatility really is remarkable. Hope he gets some stage wins soon though.
the lotery of cobble riding yesterday saw that he lost his chance to wear yellow. Now Stage win could be his but being still hight on gc marks him to too many teams to be given too much chances till much later on in the tour

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
:eek: Sagan actually has eyes on his helmet too! I literally just noticed that. Awesome! :D

SPTDW1541-660x440.jpg

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
I'm not sure Tinkoff Saxo is that team

Phew, any team is better than Cannondale when it comes to providing guidance to Sagan. How much energy and how many wasted races he did not win because of that is just mind-blowing.

TRENDING THREADS