• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not only was he the strongest rider today, but the win was a tactical masterpiece. When he saw Kwiat go, he went immediately with him, but didn't work at first. He waited a couple hundred meters to see what will be the reaction behind. He knew Michal was too dangerous to let go but at the same time it could be to far from the finish to go full gas in a two man group. When Sep bridged it was all out and Sagan showed strength that was unmatched even by Cancellara. Fantastic ride!

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I'll be shocked if Sagan podiums at PR. He doesn't have the endurance of the likes of Canc, but also guys like Terpstra, whereas RVV is more about multiple explosive efforts
Guys who lack the quality to win Paris-Roubaix in normal circumstances but won because the 2014 edition turned out to be a lottery?

CheckMyPecs said:
PremierAndrew said:
I'll be shocked if Sagan podiums at PR. He doesn't have the endurance of the likes of Canc, but also guys like Terpstra, whereas RVV is more about multiple explosive efforts
Guys who lack the quality to win Paris-Roubaix in normal circumstances but won because the 2014 edition turned out to be a lottery?
C'mon, he clearly has the quality. He'd already finished 3rd and 5th there and finished top 6 in all 6 cobbled races he did that year.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Paris Roubaix up next. Bit harder to control.

Is he gonna do the AGR after that?

What? Did you saw today's race?

jaylew said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
Who here wants to see him win sprints in the Tour, as well? I bet he will beat Kittel on a flatout sprint at least once, in the second or third week of the race.

Slow down, chief. Did you watch the last few Tours? :p
I did watch the 2012 or 13 tour, where he did that to Greipel, and las Year's tour, where he always had the highest speed and came so close.

This monument might do wonders. Seriously.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

jaylew said:
C'mon, he clearly has the quality. He'd already finished 3rd and 5th there and finished top 6 in all 6 cobbled races he did that year.
He reminds me of Flecha: good enough to do well and even podium in Paris-Roubaix, but not good enough to win the race outright in normal circumstances.

The fact that he hasn't won any other WT classic is further proof that 2014 was a fluke.

Paris Roubaix is a bit different. It's more a race of attrition, the cobbles sectors are a bit less explosive than the hills of Vlaanderen, even though the cobbles are many times worse. I think that in Vlaanderen anticipating is harder because you can implode so much more on these hills. It's also a reason why the race often breaks open earlier than in Vlaanderen.

The usual suspects will be there. Kwiat won't. Stybar is more dangerous in PR. I think Canc is also more suited to PR. Boonen as well.

CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:
He reminds me of Flecha: good enough to do well and even podium in Paris-Roubaix, but not good enough to win the race outright in normal circumstances.

The fact that he hasn't won any other WT classic is further proof that 2014 was a fluke.

You have a high standard of proof. :p His 2nd last year at Flanders and his 2nd in last year's epic GW are better than a win in most GW or E3 editions. I'd say those results are plenty "proof" by most reasonable standards.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Terpstra had race for victory in E3 Harelbeke (2014) and Flanders (2015), simply beaten by hardmen sprinters on both occasions.
Real champions win, mediocre riders come up with excuses for why they didn't win.

TRENDING THREADS